Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT) Bait Fish Review

This is a discussion on My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT) Bait Fish Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Cigar: My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT) Bait Fish ( 4" x 44 ) I was gifted this cigar about ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT) Bait Fish Review

Cigar:
    My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT) Bait Fish ( 4" x 44 )
    I was gifted this cigar about a month ago by Justbrew77 in a very generous MAW. Thanks Justin. Since then it has sat in my cooler at about 62% RH. This is a New Havana Cigars exculsive and can be bought if packs of 25 for just over $5 a piece.

Initial Impression and Light:
    This cigar had a nice evenly colored dark brown wrapper with a couple of water spots. There were a few smaller veins in the wrapper but nothing major. The feel of the cigar was between medium and firm, being more firm towards the cap. I think with a cigar this size, you can't expect it to be too firm. The smell was pretty light, and I could just make out a faint hay smell. After clipping the cap, the draw was just about perfect and the cigar gave a neutral tobacco taste. I toasted and lit the cigar with my soft flame lighter.

The Smoke:
    A huge blast of pepper started me off. After a puff or two the flavors were absolutely huge and in your face. I tasted leather and earth, with maybe some coffee in background, followed by strong cedar in the retrohale all with underlying pepper from start to finish that lingered even after.

Down into the second third the leather and earth took a back seat to a very strong dark coffee. The sharp cedar remained in the retrohale and the pepper remained from draw past the finish.

In the final third the flavors were the tiniest bit softer with coffee and cedar coming to the front. The pepper was present as always. I started feeling the nicotine kick near the end as well.

The burn was amazingly straight and the ash held on for about an inch and a half each time before falling on its own. There was some canoeing at the very end but I shouldn't fault the cigar for that because at that point I was taking half draws to keep the smoke relatively cool. The total burn time was just about fifty minutes.

Final Thoughts:
    Wow, this was a kick ass cigar, literally. I have never had a cigar this strong with such in your face flavors. I actually really enjoyed it and I think the vitola was just about perfect for this blend. Construction and burn were both great as well. While I haven't had the normal MUWAT, I've read online that the Bait Fish is a different blend than the regular line in that this one was extra strong. I'd highly recommend this one to someone that wants to try an extra-full flavored cigar.

Below is the burn progression

Re: My Uzi Weighs a Ton (MUWAT) Bait Fish Review

Thanks for reviewing this interesting looking cigar Brent! Sounds a little too hard core for me but it's always good to look at some pictures and read about the flavour profile.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

nice review brent! ive often wondered about these little MUWAT since i love the 6x60 vitola.

Thanks for the review, Brent. This is on my list as a must try.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

I've been curious about MUWAT for a while. Some opinions are that they aren't as good as they should be and some think they're great. Opinions about this particular vitola, however, are unanimously good. I do like the 4x44 size and they have the larger ones at my B&M, so I guess I'll just have to find out for myself. Judging from your review, this is a cigar I should really dig...

Thanks for the review.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

I need to get my hands on a Baitfish. The 6x60 was delicious, but I have a hard time with RGs that big! I'd really love if they made it in a 46-48rg, like the Undercrown Corona Viva.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

excellent review Brent. Have a couple of the 6x60 in my humi that I've been dying to burn. After reading this; I am going to have to hunt down the baitfish
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Thanks for the kind words. Just remember that the MUWAT and Bait Fish are different blends. Here is what the New Havana Cigars website has to say about it
    My Uzi Weighs A Ton is a collaboration between Drew Estate Tobacco Company's Subculture Studios and the Joya de Nicaragua factory.

Made at the JDN factory, the much anticipated MUWAT blend was officially rolled out at the 2011 IPCPR where I had a chance to sit down with Jonathan. After some brainstorming about doing some business with each other, Jonathan mentioned the infamous "Bait Fish" size of MUWAT, a 4x44 that was announced but still in the process. After early feedback from the 60 ring gauge releases of MUWAT, many customers wanted something with some more strength to it. Jonathan felt that Bait Fish might be the perfect outlet for a tweaked blend, and a great smaller project that New Havana Cigars would be a great fit for. Humbled by the offer, I immediately said "Let's make it happen!"

So he sent some blends to compare and we decided on the EF blend (the stronger blend). An initial factory order and we are very proud to have the exclusive on Bait Fish!
    Oh, I've also heard rumors about them releasing a full corona size in the future in this blend.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    Oh, I've also heard rumors about them releasing a full corona size in the future in this blend.
    Excellent!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Ya it's an awesome stogie. I was given one to try at cigar club while the Drew estates guy was there. Just so you guys know it was named after the Public Enemy song. "my Uzi weighs a ton" of course my fellow Eastcoast boys named it!

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for the review. I have been looking to try one of these myself. Picked up a MUWAT robusto yesterday that I'm anxious to try soon.

Oh, and it was not named after the Public Enemy song

Their quirky name stems from Drew Estate founder Jonathan Drew's favorite 6 x 60 vitola, lovingly called it his "Uzi." Picking up a wheel of them, he exclaimed, "Damn, my UZI weighs a TON!"

No longer a community member.

Awesome review, Brent. I usually go for the larger vitola, but after trying a MUWAT +11 I ordered ten more.. betcha this baitfish is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Reino's Avatar

Very nice review.
    My favorite vitola.