Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pinar Del Rio Sungrown Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Pinar Del Rio Sungrown Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Pinar Del Rio Sungrown Robusto Review

Temp: 75* F slightly breezy
    DTG: 292258052012
    Drink pairing: Michelob amber bock
    Lighter/cutter: Ronson/ Cuban crafters perfect
    Storage: 65% rh for 8 months

Appearance/construction: 5x 50 robusto, dark tan, smooth wrapper, slight spongyness, very even roll, looks almost seamless.

Prelight: effortless draw, tastes like tobacco, great humidor smell, very cedary

First third: creamy, sweet, tobacco, peppery all the way to the back of my tongue, huge volumes of smoke. about inch in, grassiness starts to develop. Long finish. Sweetness from the caramel notes in the amber bock amber bock pairs well. Sweet hayish taste on retrohale.

: wood, black coffee, burn gets wavy so I gave it a touchup. creaminess is gone by this point. Dry mouthfeel, leaves me slightly parched, i guess i need another beer! Ash finally fell off at the halfway point.

Last third: aroma is amazing, Sweet and bready. Wood is ramped up to the forefront. Pepper comes back but less than initial light. A little nuttiness finishes it off.

overall: im glad i gave this a second try. the first one i smoked was only a couple weeks old, but 8 months of rest definitely helped this cigar out. going to have to pick up a few more. another hit by Pinar Del Rio!

enjoyed all the way to the nub!

Re: Pinar Del Rio Sungrown Robusto Review

Awsome review brother! Your tasting notes are pretty spot on with mine, that bread flavor towards the end was really strange but good for me. Actually the first smoke i tasted bread in.

These cigars are the bomb. thanks for the review.

Nice review Neil. I agree this is a really good smoke.

One of my favorite smokes as well and can be had on the cheap. I think I'll pull one out of the long term aging tupperdor to see how they're coming along...Thanks for the review.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for the nice review. Unique aroma, solid construction, slow burn, very good price point... this cigar is currently one of my favorites!

Leading Puffer Fish

I just picked up a PDR sampler pack on BigarBid last night. I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

5 - Pinar del Rio Habano Sun Grown Toro (6" x 50)
    5 - Pinar del Rio Habano Oscuro Toro (6" x 50)
    5 - Pinar del Rio Habano Clasico Toro (6" x 50)
    5 - Pinar del Rio Habano Seleccion Toro (6" x 50)

When they arrive I'll have officially filled my brand new humidor to bursting and will be quietly trying to find a nice hiding spot for a Tupperdor so that my wife doesn't kill me. My little desktop humidor at work is already filled too.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Quote Originally Posted by MontyTheMooch View Post
    I just picked up a PDR sampler pack on BigarBid last night. I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

5 - Pinar del Rio Habano Sun Grown Toro (6" x 50)
    5 - Pinar del Rio Habano Oscuro Toro (6" x 50)
    5 - Pinar del Rio Habano Clasico Toro (6" x 50)
    5 - Pinar del Rio Habano Seleccion Toro (6" x 50)

When they arrive I'll have officially filled my brand new humidor to bursting and will be quietly trying to find a nice hiding spot for a Tupperdor so that my wife doesn't kill me. My little desktop humidor at work is already filled too.
    i hope you enjoy them! Pinar Del Rio is right at the top of my list of favorite brands. cant go wrong with the price, and they are all very good cigars. out of the 4 different kinds you bought, i prefer the oscuro since im not a big fan of pepper in my cigars, and the oscuro is super smooth and delicious! if i were you, i would let at least 2 of each sit for about 6 months or so, ive noticed a huge improvement in taste after letting them rest for a couple months, really smooths them out (not that they are bad at all when ROTT). stay tuned, ill be doing reviews of the oscuro, seleccion, and clasico pretty soon!