Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserva Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserva Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserva Robusto Review

Date: 6 June 2012
    Weather: 82* with a nice cool breeze. feels like 75*
    Drink: Water
    Lighter/ cutter: Ronson/ Cuban Crafters Perfect
    Storage: 6 months at 65% RH

Appearance/ construction: 5 x 50 robusto. Smooth, almost seamless wrapper, Splotchy, mottled coloring, kinda light for a maduro. Slightly spongy, even pack.

Pre-light: Slight cocoa and sweet tobacco that sticks to your lips. Perfect draw with just a touch of resistance.

First 1/3: Starts out with a little bit of pepper, but fades quickly. Very sweet with a short finish. Slightly oily mouth feel, and produces tons of smoke. Slightly leathery, and a hint of cocoa linger in the background. On the retrohale, the flavors are intensified, but very smooth. The ash is a nice bright white and is very solid.

Ĺ: At the halfway point, it transitions to a little more pepper and coffee, and drops most of the sweetness. I decided to tap the ash off at the halfway point so I didnít wear it on my lap, although it probably could have held on for another half inch or so.

Last 1/3: In the last third, the pepper is ramped up a little more and stays through the finish. It starts to get a little bit bitter, but after a purge, things fix themselves. A distinct earthiness develops and comes to the forefront in the last inch and a half. I went ahead and let it go out with a little over an inch left because it started to get a little warm for my taste.

Overall: This was a very good smoke! The sungrown might be a little more suited to my palate than this maduro, regardless, it was a good cigar. The only downside was towards the end, it got a little bitter, but a purge fixed that. Luckily I have a few more to smoke later on!

Full grown Puffer Fish jobes2007's Avatar

Re: Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserva Robusto Review

How much do these go for, roughly? Looks like a stick I'd like to try. Thanks for the review.

Good review. I find them pretty good smokes too. Can be picked up pretty cheap, a couple bucks each if u look hard enough.
    A chance not taken is a wasted opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by jobes2007 View Post
    How much do these go for, roughly? Looks like a stick I'd like to try. Thanks for the review.

i routinely buy these for $2 a piece through famous-smoke.com, cigarsinternational.com, and cigarbid.com. they MSRP at like $5-6 i think though. the one i smoked for this review was bought from famous-smoke.com in a Pinar Del Rio Sampler, it was $24 for 12 cigars.

I really love this cigar with a few months on it. Between this and the oscuro, I'm not sure which I like more. I just dug up a toro that had been in the 75 count and noticed the head had some plume on it:

Name:  Plume.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  77.9 KB

It's not even that old and has only been in there for about 7 months.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

that looks awesome, james! myself, i prefer the oscuro, i find it slightly smoother and a little sweeter than the maduro, but they are both top notch smokes in my book! ive got a maduro that shuckins bombed me last august thats about a year old now. i cant wait to fire it up!