Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

CAO America Potomac Review

This is a discussion on CAO America Potomac Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; This cigar was part of the CAO world sampler which I received 23 days ago. Looking online these go for ...

CAO America Potomac Review

This cigar was part of the CAO world sampler which I received 23 days ago. Looking online these go for about $5 - $6 per stick when bought individually. I recently tried the Brazilia Gol! and thought it was OK/Good so I decide to try the America. The overall look of the cigar is interesting with it's barber shop wrapper and distinctive main and foot band. The cigar also has a heavy feel and before lighting it I thought to myself that it felt a little hard without much give to it. Cutting and lighting the cigar was pretty straight forward.

The draw was tight from the beginning and it did not produce much smoke to it. For the first 1/4 it was rather unremarkable because of this and the lack of flavour. From about a quarter in to about the half way point there were some creamy toast flavours going on with a hint of sweetness now and then but definitely on the mild side of things. At about the halfway point the cigar started to be bitter but a purge really helped get rid of that. Unfortunately at about 1/3 left it got really bitter and a harsh charred flavour (think ashtray) started up and no amount of purging would help it. I could not finish the cigar at this point because it actually made my throat hurt.

I have one more of these cigars sitting in the humidor and it will probably be a long time before I give this one another go because of my experience today. Hopefully some time will improve this cigar. What really get's me is that on online shops this cigar is described as having a dark roast coffee and dark chocolate finish. As well it is said to be a full bodied, complex and robust cigar. This is not at all what I experience. Did I just come across a dud? I would appreciate anyone else's experiences with this cigar to chime in.

Full grown Puffer Fish Smoke0ne's Avatar

Re: CAO America Potomac Review

Robert, sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences lately with the CAO's. Solid review, the America is just a slightly above average smoke for me, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Although the few I've smoked definitely were on the fuller strength scale, the flavors were just a very acrid/woody flavor and sweet tobacco, nothing really surprising or different. They certainly are nice to look at however!
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another."- Ernest Hemingway

Young Puffer Fish

I've enjoyed one of these before, but have never really sought it out again.

Maybe still a bit over-humidified? Could try dryboxing the next or just giving it some more time in the humi...

Great review, Robert. The only CAO I seem to really care for is a Brazilia. This one, I haven't really thought about. Does that make me unpatriotic?

Thanks for the feed back guys. When I first started trying a bunch of new NCs I got frustrated when I came across a bad stick or two. Now I just see it as part of the process of finding sticks I love. I still have two Italia's from the 2 CAO world samplers I bought and one Criollo (traded the other one) so hopefully they are good.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

the CAO america was a middle of the road stick to me. mostly just earthy and not really special. ive got one left that im going to hold on to for another year to see how it turns out. i was disappointed with this cigar.

Young Puffer Fish Emerson Biggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    the CAO america was a middle of the road stick to me. mostly just earthy and not really special. ive got one left that im going to hold on to for another year to see how it turns out. i was disappointed with this cigar.
    I agree with your review. I heard some Good things about this cigar but I too was not overly impressed. I'm 2/3 rds of the way through with my stick and it's not overly flavorful. There are some earthy tones with a little leather flavor and coffee, but nothing out of this world. Despite other reviews, I didn't notice much spice. Overall an ok gar but nothing that would prompt me to buy a box.

I've had two of these and really wanted to like them because I enjoy some other CAO sticks and I'm a sucker for a barber pole. However, both sticks exhibited similar characteristics to what you described. I found the sticks bitter, with a strong unidentifiable flavor that just turned me off. Not sure where you can get them for $5-6 as my B&M sells them for $8-9 and I can find much better smokes for that price.

No longer a community member.

I enjoy the America line. I keep a few around to smoke when in the mood, but a BOTL bombed me a boxed sampler a while back and I plan to smoke one of those on the "patriotic" holidays (7/4, Memorial, and Veteran's). IMO, they aren't they best in the CAO line, but they are close to the top.