Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Drew Estate Undercrown Review

This is a discussion on Drew Estate Undercrown Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; DREW ESTATE UNDERCROWN Vitola : Belicoso Time in humi: 6 months at 65% Total age: I presume not much longer ...

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Drew Estate Undercrown Review

DREW ESTATE UNDERCROWN

Vitola: Belicoso

Time in humi: 6 months at 65%
    Total age: I presume not much longer than that.

Acquired from: Cigarplace.biz (I highly recommend them!)

Total smoking time: 2hrs 16 min.

Cold draw: barnyard, tobacco, wood

First third:
    Initially peppery, but that dies down almost immediately; woody, leathery tobacco; baking spices, and rich wood. Coffee bean and cocoa. Definitely creamier than the no. 9, but missing that lovely sweet cedar. Burn is wavy, had to touch up a few times. Chocolate begins to show off about 2/3 of an inch in. Very, very slow burn, 30 min in, only an inch into the cigar! Continues similarly through the remainder of the first third. Cocoa and espresso on the retrohale, it's quite pleasant.

Second third:
    Creamy bakers chocolate and coffee beans are the primary flavors. Nuts are present, and wood is present, but not as cedary as I would like. The UC is great, but it's one drawback is that it isn't the no. 9, and one can't help comparing them. funny thing is, as I pass the halfway mark the ash falls, so I purge, and then the flavors change and what do you know, that elusive cedar begins to shine just a bit, and the bakers chocolate turns into a silky dark cacao. Marvelous! Wood, dark chocolate, and a little leather on the retrohale. Burn continues to be just a bit wavy, but no touch up is required.

Final Third:
    As I approach the final third, rich, dark tobacco, and that silky dark chocolate take over. I enjoy it until it suddenly dies. Its been a two-hour smoke, so I'm satisfied. Surprised that it died suddenly, but not bothered at all.

Conclusion:
    The last few I smoked I didn't enjoy, and I'm thinking they may have been sick. I was wondering if I would enjoy them again, but based on tonight's stick. they seem to have gotten over the problems the last few gave me, and have settled in nicely. The one drawback is that I can't help comparing it to the No. 9. It's so similar in so many ways. But, in it's own right, it's a great cigar, it's a fantastic smoke, and I recommend it.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Re: Drew Estate Undercrown Review

Very good review, Derek. I almost completely agree with your descriptions.

I have only smoked two and they both had an almost to tight draw. The last third of both seemed to have a fire roasted nutty wood flavor with the chocolate flavor in the back ground.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Puffer Fish with many spikes

nice review derek, i love me some undercrowns! great cigar, IMO

Great review, Derek. I still haven't tried these, but they are on my list of gotta gets.

I've had a robusto and corona doble stored in similar conditions with the same amount of rest and enjoyed both immensely. I can't really make any comparisons to any other LP sticks, since it's been ages since I've had a #9 or T52. These things have a tendency to smoke forever and the corona doble was almost too much of a good thing. I have a Viva corona gorda awaiting a similar fate very soon....
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.