Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Robusto Review

Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Robusto
    Price: $2 from Cigarsinternational.com
    DTG: 161330062012
    Weather/ Location: 82* F slight breeze/ front porch
    Storage: 65% RH for 8 months (in cellophane)
    Drink: Coca Cola
    Lighter/cutter: Ronson/ cheap plastic cutter

Appearance/ construction: A very dark oscuro wrapper that looks seamless, and topped with a double cap. The wrapper is nice and smooth, and looking at the foot, the cigar looks like it has a nice even pack to it. Feeling along the cigar, I donít notice any hard or soft spots. Overall, I love the look of this cigar!

Prelight: This cigar smells great! Very sweet tobacco scent off the wrapper and foot with just a hint of raisin. The draw is exactly how I like it, just a slight resistance. On the prelight draw, I get a ton of raisin flavor with a nice sweet tobacco.

First 1/3: opens up right away with a little pepper and a very oily mouth feel that coats my palate with sweet tobacco. This cigar produces tons of smoke, which I love! About half an inch in, the pepper starts to fade, and the sweet tobacco comes to the forefront, with a slight cocoa hint. The pepper remains in the retrohale. Unfortunately, the wind is starting to pick up and the burn starts to get a little wavy.

Halfway point: Ash finally falls off, I was actually standing up when it hit the floor and did not crumble, great construction for this cigar! I also went inside and took a phone call for a couple minutes and the cigar didnít miss a beat, came back out and smoked like nothing happened. Flavors remain about the same, with the addition of slightly more cocoa. The burn has corrected itself, also.

Final 1/3: The pepper starts to ramp up and the cigar starts to gain a little more strength, but never becomes overpowering. The sweetness is in the background still, but itís not as prevalent as it was in the beginning. A little woodiness also starts to develop in this last third.

Overall: This is one of favorite cigars and a go-to stick. I have forgotten to mention in my other reviews that I have smoked at least 2 of each of these cigars before doing a review on them to give them a fair chance and to ensure that my opinions are not based on a bad cigar or any other reasons. But for this cigar, I love them, and recommend them to anyone who wants a high quality, low cost cigar.

Another one in the books!

Re: Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Robusto Review

Great review! At $2.00 a stick I'll definitely have to try a few.
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Great review Neil. Tasty budget sticks always have a place in the humi! Thanks.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Leading Puffer Fish

I have 5 of these fresh off the truck and sitting in my humidor. I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

Quote Originally Posted by MontyTheMooch View Post
    I have 5 of these fresh off the truck and sitting in my humidor. I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

i'd suggest letting them sit for at least 1-2 months before smoking them. i did not notice a huge improvement between 2 months and 8 months, but about a month or 2 to equalize was all it needed IMO

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    i'd suggest letting them sit for at least 1-2 months before smoking them. i did not notice a huge improvement between 2 months and 8 months, but about a month or 2 to equalize was all it needed IMO
    Good to know! Thanks!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Nice review! I've had one of these and loved it. PDR makes some great stuff!
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Old Salty's Avatar

I had one of these ROTT this past week, and I thought it was very good, even with no age. Great smoke for the price.
    "In the future, all men will be able to smoke Havanas." ~ Herr Doktor Shutte

Leading Puffer Fish

Since I have 5 I'll probably try one tonight and then compare it in a few months to see the difference.

Since I have 5 I'll probably try one tonight and then compare it in a few months to see the difference.
    ley us know what you think!

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    ley us know what you think!
    Fired one up this morning. Very nice. Even with it being ROTT it had a good flavor, excellent quantity of smoke and a gorgeous dark gray ash that you could still see the tooth in after the burn line had passed it. I was mesmerized by watching the tooth turn white as the burn line hit it. Flavor wise there was nothing that really stood out for me, but I can tell that with some rest this'll definitely become one damned good cigar.

Fired one up this morning. Very nice. Even with it being ROTT it had a good flavor, excellent quantity of smoke and a gorgeous dark gray ash that you could still see the tooth in after the burn line had passed it. I was mesmerized by watching the tooth turn white as the burn line hit it. Flavor wise there was nothing that really stood out for me, but I can tell that with some rest this'll definitely become one damned good cigar.

nice! after a couple months in the humidor, i noticed a much smoother smoke with a distinct sweetness throughout. the flavors also become a little less muddled IMO. the balance between pepper and sweetness really makes this stick a hit for me, since im not the biggest fan of pepper in my smokes.

Just bid up on the Devil for a Torpedo flight sampler of Pinar Del Rio. Good way to try out the PDR lineup I'd say.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish smokin3000gt's Avatar

I had one of these and lit it up after a couple weeks in the humi. The flavor was pleasant but the weird part was I had a dirt grittiness to it. Never had that happen in a smoke. The cigar was good enough though I bought a PDR sampler and will give it another shot. It was probably a fluke. For $2> it's hard to beat.

Thanks for the review, Neil!

Neil my only qualm is the use of Fahrenheit....
    Disciplina praesidium civitatis VTL