Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nub Reveiw

This is a discussion on Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nub Reveiw within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; This is a review of a Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nublizer (4x60) Connecticut Maduro Wrapper. Filler/Binder: Nicaraguan, Peruvian and Cameroon ...

Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nub Reveiw

This is a review of a Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nublizer (4x60) Connecticut Maduro Wrapper. Filler/Binder: Nicaraguan, Peruvian and Cameroon

First off, this cigar has been sitting in the tupperdor for over a year at 70-73 F/@ 65% RH. MSRP is approx $6-$10.00, depending on where you look. I bought two of these off the Devil for $2 ea, if memory serves me correctly.
    I want to say up front, I loved this cigar. However it had some burn issues and if it hadn't of been so darn good, it would of gone swimming.

They say: A full body cigar that will test the limits of your palate, the Dragon Fury is a must to add to you Gurkha cigar collection. Please be sitting down when you decide to take on the Fury!

I say: A delicious dark, oily and a solid medium to full, typical Madruro, toothy with two long veins running across opposite sides. They want you to think that this is a powerhouse. Don't be fooled by Gurkha's hype, but in a world of Gurkha brand saturation, this one is a standout to me. One of probably three blends, I would actually buy again.

At the house, while the wife enjoys the pool. 93F/43% RH. Today's review drink of choice, a Big Blue Cream Soda. I'm in the shade. I don't think I've ever posted my smoking area at home. It's always been at the rent house. So, for the curious, I present my humble smoking area.

Dark and oily, the prelight draw was perfect, punched with a Xikar 007 and lit with a Ronson Jetlite. It left a wonderful oily, pepper taste on the lips. At the light, deep pepper that faded into a cedar, leather and coffee oil that just hung on the tongue.

In the second half the burn issues started. I had to touch this stick up at least 6 times. It was aggravating to say the least. The pepper gave way to a creamy, coffee and woodsy finish mixed in with what I could best describe as roasted coconut. Rather unique flavor. This stick is a freeking smoke bomb.

This shows the how oily, this stick builds up around your fingers, as it burns. Maduro lover paradise. Note: the pronounced vein line running through the ash.

The last 1/3 the pepper has returned and ended just like it started. All the way to the nub.

So to wrap it up: This one was a good smoke, if you forgive the burn issues. I have another one in the tupperdor. I might follow up with a quick review of that one, since they were bought and stored under the same conditions. Gurkha is really full of themselves and most of the stuff they make, I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. If your a fan of the Nub size, this one is pretty good from start to finish. Yes, even though it's a Gurkha, I think you'll find that it's worth adding to your stash. If, the price is right.
    Last edited by 36Bones; 06-17-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Re: Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nub Reveiw

I love the house, the cigar, not so much

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Thanks for the review. Love the smoking area.

Thanks for the review. I just can not get that Gurkha can get away with the Nublizer name.

As a daily deal price point of $2.50, it was an OK cigar but at it's normal price around six bucks, not so much.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Thanks for the review. I just can not get that Gurkha can get away with the Nublizer name.

As a daily deal price point of $2.50, it was an OK cigar but at it's normal price around six bucks, not so much.
    Thanks for the house compliments. The wife's dream house we had built eight years ago.

Yea, like I said. If you can get them for $2 or under, maybe. I'm not going out of my way to buy them. The burn issues alone, would make me look at a lot of other sticks, before I spent more on these. I don't understand how they can use the Nublizer name either. I guess, it's like calling all tissue, Kleenex.
    Last edited by 36Bones; 06-17-2012 at 11:10 AM.