Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

2012 BOTL Exclusive Lancero by Drew Estate

This is a discussion on 2012 BOTL Exclusive Lancero by Drew Estate within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

2012 BOTL Exclusive Lancero by Drew Estate

Drew Estate 2012 BotL LE Lancero

Obtained: Gift from Christopher (nikonnut)
    Time in humi: n/a, smoked it day of receipt!
    Total age: These were just released a week or two ago, but I hear they were aged for 8 months before release.

Construction:
    Very smooth, thin wrapper over an obviously toothy and veiny binder. Several cracks in the very, very thin wrapper, probably due to shipping. Uniform, beautiful, dark chocolate color. A few minor soft spots, but nothin concerning. 

First third:
    Initial pepper blast that quickly smoothes out. White pepper, semisweet chocolate, wood, and that lovely oily spice in the finish. Lick-your-lips delicious.  Razor sharp burn, and tons of creamy smoke. (I love the smoke output from Liga Privadas!) At an inch, ash holding like a champ, and its burned through the first wrapper split with no problem. Actually reminds me a lot if the Dirty Rat, but a sweeter. This is fantastic so far! Bittersweet cocoa and milk chocolate mix with wood flavor tinged with cedar.  Quite sweet, tons of flavor. 

Second third:
    This reminds me of a No.9, with it's "cool" flavor profile, but with more wood and less cedar. Cocoa dies a bit as the second third hits, and the wood picks up. Flavor is almost chewy, rich tobacco pics up too. Black pepper in the background, nuts and espresso in the retrohale. Got a hint of Nutella in one retrohale! I'm having to smoke this slowly, or it gets a bit harsh, which I find to be the case with most lanceros. Ash continues to hold for about an inch at a time. The split in the middle has puffed open now, I'm a bit concerned about how that will develop. Smoke is thick and chewy. Flavors are medium to full, strength is medium. Cocoa picks up again, black and white pepper, and wood remain the dominant flavors, with sweet cool earth for the remainder of the second third. Wishing that oily spice on the finish woul return, but aside from that, it's perfectly satisfying. Burned right through the larger split without issue, which I'm grateful for! Nicotine kick it hitting now too. I feel very, very relaxed. 

Final third:
    More of the same wonderful, deliciousness. I always struggle with describing the final third of cigars, because I've already described the cigar at length. Suffice it to say, the same flavors continue, and I nubbed it until it gets too hot to handle!

Conclusion:
    This cigar fits right in with other Liga Privadas. I know it doesnt carry the Liga Pricada name, and it's not quite as stellar as the No.9 or the Dirty Rat, but it has the same core elements -strength, full, chewy flavor, voluminous smoke- that I've come to expect from all Drew Estate cigars, and specifically from all Liga Privadas, while still being a bit different. I very much enjoyed it! The only drawback was that it did seem a little rough around the edges. I'm not sure if the cigar will simply round those edges out with age, or if it's the Lancero size, as I tend to get a slightly rougher smoke with lanceros. I'll eagerly anticipate trying it's counterpart in six months or a year, as Christopher generously gifted two f these fine sticks to me! Definitely add this to your mystery list if you're a fan of Liga Privadas, or DE's other full-bodied offerings!

Last edited by Aninjaforallseasons; 06-26-2012 at 03:52 AM.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Re: 2012 BOTL Exclusive Lancero by Drew Estate

ummm.... when does Puff get an exclusive lancero from DE ?!?!?!?

I'm watching you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Noob View Post
    ummm.... when does Puff get an exclusive lancero from DE ?!?!?!?
    It will take some serious time on our knees, if you know what I mean...
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Derek, awesome review. Can't wait to see what a year will do for them
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Quote Originally Posted by jphank View Post
    It will take some serious time on our knees, if you know what I mean...
    Do I really want one that bad? Maybe.......

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    Derek, awesome review. Can't wait to see what a year will do for them
    Thanks for providing the smoke, Chris!!! In case I haven't said so, that really was awesome of you.

I'm putting the other away for one year. If I can make it that long. ...ok, maybe six months...
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Great review! this sounds great! Hopefully I'll be able to buy some soon.
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    Thanks for providing the smoke, Chris!!! In case I haven't said so, that really was awesome of you.
    You have, brother and you're welcome
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Young Puffer Fish

Sounds awesome.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Ugh these sound so good. Unfortunately money was tight and I missed out.

Targets locked on... Phil from Chicago's Avatar

same here JayD. Anyone know where I can find a couple sticks?