Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Emilio AF-1 Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Emilio AF-1 Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Cigar: Emilio AF-1 Robusto ( 5" x 50 ) I picked this cigar up a couple weeks ago as a ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Emilio AF-1 Robusto Review

Cigar:
    Emilio AF-1 Robusto ( 5" x 50 )
    I picked this cigar up a couple weeks ago as a 5-pack. Since then it has sat in my coolidor at about 62% RH. When bought by the box these are just about $6.

Initial Impression and Light:
    This cigar had a deep dark brown maduro color with an oily wrapper and some moderate tooth. There were some moderate veins running through the wrapper and the seams were decent. The feel was slightly spongy with a soft spot near the end if the first third. The smell of the cigar was a moderate hay smell. I punch cut the cap which gave a fairly loose draw with just neutral tobacco flavor. The foot of the cigar had a slight crack in it from shipping or handling. I toasted and lit the cigar with a soft flame lighter.

The Smoke:
    The cigar started off with a blast of pepper. As the pepper started to settle down the cigar gave way to mostly woody and chocolately flavors with some nutmeg and a decent amount of spice underlying it all. The burn started off a little sloppy due to the crack in the foot but evened up as it progressed.

In the second third, the flavors became a little muted. The ash fell after about two inches requiring a quick touch up. At this point the flavors started to pick back up again being thick with coffee and molasses with hints of black cherry and raisin. The burn continued to be very good after the quick touchup.

In the final third, the flavors continued where the second third left off. The smoke was still very thick and rich and very filling. The nicotine seemed pretty strong at this point as well. The burn continued to be great to where I stopped with about an inch left. The total burn time was a very long hour forty five and probably could have gone two hours if I had nubbed it.

Final Thoughts:
    The burn, construction, and flavors of this cigar were pretty good. It wasn't my favorite flavor profile but was still pretty good. The most amazing part of this cigar was the long burn time. I don't think I've had a robusto burn this long before. Another interesting note, the band came off very easily. I don't know why I noticed this, but most bands take a little work to get off, but not this one.

Below is the burn progression

It's a trap!

Pale Horse

Re: Emilio AF-1 Robusto Review

Great review Brent! Clancy was smoking one in v-herf and absolutely raved about it. I may have to pick up a fiver sometime!