Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Maduro

This is a discussion on La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Maduro within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Marca: La Flor Dominicana Brand: Double Ligero Vitola: "Chisel" (flat head torpedo) Wrapper: Equadoran maduro Binder: Dominican Republic Filler: Dominican ...

Disinterested

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Maduro

Marca: La Flor Dominicana
    Brand: Double Ligero
    Vitola: "Chisel" (flat head torpedo)
    Wrapper: Equadoran maduro
    Binder: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Dominican Republic
    Draw: Medium
    Burn: Excellent - Slow
    Strength: Med - Full
    Body: Full
    Overall Construction: Excellent
    Smoking Time: 1hr 45min
    Price: $8.50
    Vintage: 2010
    Recommend: Unreservedly

Prelight

The most noticeable aspect of the cigar is it's nearly mirror-like sheen. This is one of the most extraordinarily oily wrappers I've ever seen. The prelight nose is of fine tobacco, with a strong, but pleasant ligero aroma. Since it's been resting in my possession for two years, there's no hint of on-going fermentation whatsoever, just sweet, ripe tobacco. Rolling and gently pressing between my fingers, it feels firm, but supple, suggesting excellent, consistent construction.

The cut

Simply, there is none. The whole idea behind the chisel is that it requires no cutter. It's even simpler to open up than a pigtail, which is intended to be bitten off. Rather, the chisel head is merely pinched gently and pops open, rendering perfect access to a very open and smooth draw.

The Light

Having been stored just below 65% RH, this gorgeous maduro took to the torch with ease. Minimal time with my torch held about 3" from the foot, nearly instantaneously provided a complete and even cherry. Just a very slight "purge" of the initial heat and we're ready to roll.

First Third

Right off the bat, the predominant flavor of rich, dark, chocolate cake comes to the fore. This is one hellova fine maduro wrapper, so the sweetness is there in spades and lingers very long on the finish.

Second Third

Chocolate cake, scoots over just a little bit to include a note of dark-roast coffee bean and a hint of woodiness. Still, the sweetness of the maduro shines through. Enough cannot be said about the laser sharp, even burn of this stick. I never even thought the words "touch up" anywhere during this smoke. And, smoke there is, aplenty! Massive pillows of wonderfully thick, aromatic S-M-O-K-E.

One of the things I value most in a fine cigar, is complexity. For me, this is defined by a long finish, which coats the back of the palette and an almost meaty sensation up front, which makes you want to chew the smoke. For all it's ligero, the Chisel maduro offers great complexity and an extraordinarily long and pleasing finish.

Final Third

As with most cigars, the strength in the Chisel built noticeably, but never became overly so. It did benefit greatly from a couple of gentle purges during the back end, just to get rid of some steam, caused by the 50% ambient humidity in my smoking room. The burn, as is to be expected, got a little uneven towards the final 12cm, but still nothing requiring more flame.

Conclusion and Final Impressions

This is simply an outstanding, pleasing and ultimately satisfying cigar. It delivers wonderfully rounded flavors, easily identified and well defined. While not the most complex, it delivers enough complexity to satisfy even the most discerning smoker. If you enjoy high volumes of smoke delivery, this is a cigar for you. I highly recommend that anyone who enjoys a full-bodied cigar grab a handful of these and after a good amount of much-needed rest, sit back for one fantastic cigar experience.

Leading Puffer Fish

Re: La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Maduro

FAR and away my absolute favorite cigar. Awesome review.

I've got two of these left in my humidor and am sharing one with a Navy buddy this week. May have to spend next month's tobacco budget on a box of them.

Fantastic review and pictures Brother, thank you!
    I've never smoked one of these, but it just got pushed up to the #1 slot for my next purchase.
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

I've heard mixed reviews, but I can always trust H&T. I'll be adding a box to the coolidor to nap.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by capttrips View Post
    I've heard mixed reviews, but I can always trust H&T. I'll be adding a box to the coolidor to nap.
    And, therein lies the trick and the reason for the "mixed reviews". People are just impatient and fail to allow these and many like them to mature. My experience has taught me that 2yrs is about perfect for any maduro, or anywhere where relatively "heavy" tobaccos are used. Patience is always a virtue, but no where does it render greater rewards than with premium cigars.

Full grown Puffer Fish birdiemc's Avatar

awesome review, very informative. One thing I read that is totally new to me is that a cutter is not needed for the chisel....could you explain a bit more, i'm a bit dense maybe but the thought of pinching the tip scares the hell outta me. I have an air bender chisel resting and i want to do right by it!

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Great review, Don! I'm gonna have to pick some of these up sometime. They aound delicious!

Brady, I think the method Don described is done by squeezing the edges of the chisel tip. Kinda like squeezing the flaps of a cardboard milk carton.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Full grown Puffer Fish TopsiderLXI's Avatar

One of Rush Limbaugh's favorites!!! Have yet to try one, nice review though.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by birdiemc View Post
    awesome review, very informative. One thing I read that is totally new to me is that a cutter is not needed for the chisel....could you explain a bit more, i'm a bit dense maybe but the thought of pinching the tip scares the hell outta me. I have an air bender chisel resting and i want to do right by it!
    Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    Great review, Don! I'm gonna have to pick some of these up sometime. They aound delicious!

Brady, I think the method Don described is done by squeezing the edges of the chisel tip. Kinda like squeezing the flaps of a cardboard milk carton.
    Yup, that's it. You just gently squeeze the edges of the head, latitudinally, until you feel and hear a slight "pop". Try the draw and (rarely) repeat as necessary.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

one of my favorites also.whenever I am in the mood for a sit down before you fall on your butt smoke I grab one of these.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Stinkdyr's Avatar

I have some Chiselitos aging, since the early ones didn't blow my skirt up. I am hoping 2 yrs of rest on them does the trick.

I just bought some Airbenders and Gran Ligeros and can't wait to try one.

Another great review Don! Nice to see the pup making a cameo appearance also...
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown