Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Oliva Series V Lancero

This is a discussion on Oliva Series V Lancero within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; It has been quite a while since I posted a review here. A long time ago I posted so many ...

Oliva Series V Lancero

It has been quite a while since I posted a review here. A long time ago I posted so many that I got burned out and ran out of things to say. I am prompted to post this review because of how highly I regard this particular cigar. First of all let me say that the long lancero is my favorite size. Not the fashion I know, the tend seems to be for much fatter cigars. Next I will say that in my opinion the Oliva Seris V Lancero is without a doubt consistently the best cigar I have ever smoked. I have been smoking cigars for well over 40 years at this pont to the tune of 2 - 3 a day. I have smoked everything from cheap bundles to the rarest of vintage Cubans and most everything in between. I have certainly not tried every brand made, but I have given it a good run. I will repeat that, for me, this cigar is the best. So despite having gone through many boxes of this smoke, let me review the one I had last night.

The appearance was absolutely perfect. Dark oily wrapper and impeccably constructed. The unlit aroma was deep and earthy with a very slight somewhat floral quailty and some distant vanilla. I was reticent to even light this beauty Once clipped the draw was right on the money. Long slender cigars can be somewhat problematic in this department. I have tossed a good many Cohiba Lanceros due to an umanageable draw. Before lighting I just sipped some air through it and enjoyed that rich taste. Now on to ignition. The first puff was rich and round and full. It filled my mouth and just kept expanding with a powerful creamy flavor. As I proceeded further coffee and spice emerged, spice, but not pepper. I suppose that one would call this a full bodied cigar, but it is lacking in the unbridled raw power that passes for full bodied these days. I believe there is a big difference between a full flavor and a just plain STRONG cigar. This Oliva V has a finesse and depth that goes way beyond simply strong. I like to smoke this cigar with a glass of Jim Beam on the rocks. A good complement to each other. I smoked this baby to the nub.

It is hard for me to describe a great cigar without comparing it to another great cigar. So I would compare the flavor profile to the Bolivar Coronas that I remember from the mid 70's. I know that taste is subjective and I certainly cannot predict that you will have the same reaction that I did. However, this is a cigar that is well worth trying and at a price point that is not totally ridiculous.
    "Man made laws to set you free on earth but is God satisfied
    Will your lawyer talk to God for you?" Kitty Wells

Disinterested

Re: Oliva Series V Lancero

Wow. Very concise and accurate (at least based on my experience of these). IMO, this is the best cigar Oliva make. Not only that, but you just selected my late afternoon smoke for me! Thanks!

Young Puffer Fish

What a great review and spot on... This is one awesome smoke. I have three patiently resting. Might have to light one up later tonight!

Disinterested

Something to which you alluded, but I always feel bears revisiting, when discussing lanceros, is the draw. I love that you use the word, "sip" to describe your draw technique, because this is exactly how a lancero must be drawn in order to fully appreciate what it has to offer.

ALL good lanceros are rolled intentionally on the tight side. For the most part, this is done to encourage the smoker to "sip" or slow down. The shape of the lancero lends itself to the potential for getting too hot, too fast and, if this happens, literally all is lost. Once you scorch it, it's over and you might as well toss the thing in the compost bin.

When lighting a lancero, I take great care to heat, toast and light VERY slowly. Then, I purge whatever heat has built up in the foot and allow it to rest briefly, before proceeding to smoking it. An accomplished lancero smoker will typically take about the same amount of time to smoke one, as he would with a full churchill.

If you're not smoking a lancero in the coolest fashion possible, you're completely missing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    If you're not smoking a lancero in the coolest fashion possible, you're completely missing it.
    I smoke every cigar in the coolest possible fashion. By definition! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by sierrawest View Post
    What a great review and spot on... This is one awesome smoke. I have three patiently resting. Might have to light one up later tonight!
    Do it Tex. Your state requires no les!

excellent review and great advice in this thread. i've been dying to try one of these, thanks.

I smoked one that I have had in the Humidor since October 2011 and granted I was already 1 bottle of wine into my night before I toasted the foot. I tell you I was amazed all over again I actaully said, "Damn" outloud and got a nice smile on my face. Great cigar.

Puffer Fish with some spikes 3r1ck's Avatar

One of my favorite cigars. I have gone through a couple boxes now and I am never disappointed. When I open my humidor on one of the days when I am having a hard time making a choice I usually just grab an Oliva V Lancero.

Herf N Turf makes a great point about smoking the Lancero size of cigar. "Sipping" truly is the perfect term. I always feel that smoking a Lancero is a luxurious and elegant experience. It is a clasy cigar that requires time and patience. It should be experienced and not rushed. If you can find a copy and have the time please read The Connoisser's Book of the Cigar by Zino Davidoff. By todays standards it will seem dated and old fashioned, but he was a true master of the leaf and offers some great insights into the enjoyment of cigars. Patience.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Excellent review! Thanks for sharing.

Great review! Thanks! I've been surprised by Oliva V fairly recently as well in the Maduro wrapper. They always seem to come back and surprise us.

Full grown Puffer Fish birdiemc's Avatar

you just made me want to run upstairs and get the one I was bombed recently...too bad it's bed time. Thanks for the review, and to you and HT thanks for the advice to sip a lancero, with all the bombs I've been getting lately I have accumulated a few of these and would have probably sucked them down too fast and ruined them all.

I smoked one of these very quickly after getting a box and wasn't impressed. I enjoy Oliva's and usually like the Vs so I let them rest about 4 months before trying another one. Completely different cigar. It was great. Probably aren't too many lanceros that can be it at that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    ALL good lanceros are rolled intentionally on the tight side. For the most part, this is done to encourage the smoker to "sip" or slow down. The shape of the lancero lends itself to the potential for getting too hot, too fast and, if this happens, literally all is lost. Once you scorch it, it's over and you might as well toss the thing in the compost bin.
    Just to comment on the statement about lanceros being rolled tight, I wonder if they are rolled to the same "tightness" but since it is a smaller area for you to pull air/smoke from that just gives the effect that it is rolled tighter but isn't. Something with 50 or 60 RG has 2-4 times the area for you to pull from on the lit side and potentially the same on the tip if it isn't a torpedo. Kind of like how a thicker wire or a thicker straw produce less resistance. Of course I've never looked into this, just wondering out loud.

Cada día canto mejor charlygardel's Avatar

Great review, and I couldn't agree more on this being an amazing, amazing smoke. It is easily my favorite vitola of the V, and probably my favorite cigar period.

With that said, I do have two problems with the V lancero:

1. I always end up burning my thumb and right index finger, as well as my lips. I smoke these things down so short that I fear one day I may end up accidentally inhaling the lit nub.

2. They come in boxes of 38, yet for some reason I only have 4 left in my humidor from my last purchase. That is a serious problem.

Cheers!