Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Fuente Don Carlos #4 Review

This is a discussion on Fuente Don Carlos #4 Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; After hosting two Noob Review Contests, I shamefully remembered I have been sorely lacking on providing my own. Today, we ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaysalti's Avatar

Fuente Don Carlos #4 Review

After hosting two Noob Review Contests, I shamefully remembered I have been sorely lacking on providing my own. Today, we close the gap, and I review a tasty treat that was passed to me in the Noobie Sampler Trade by Kapathy with approx 2 years of age. If you are a noob, please be sure to check it out here: http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...-trade-17.html

On with the review...

A. Fuente Don Carlos #4

• Size: 5 1/8 x 43
    • Shape: Corona
    • Wrapper: Cameroon
    • Filler: Dom. Rep.
    • Binder: Dom. Rep.
    • MSRP: $6.50

Construction Notes:

• Very tight and even pack
    • Small veins
    • Few small lifts in seams - tear in the wrapper near the mid-point

Very light tobacco and cedar wrapper smell with mellow sweet tobacco and sweet spice at the foot. Pre-light draw is fairly loose and has similar sweet tobacco, light spice, and dried fruit... delicious!

First puffs are excellent tobacco and slight touch of sweet spice and pepper in the background. Voluminous smoke output. Light but lingering finish of the tobacco and dried fruit from the pre-light.

1st third: salt and pepper ash with bright white, light grey and nice stacking. Burn is somewhat hilly but no issue. Draw continues to be effortless and smoke output plentiful. Flavors are consistent with the first couple draws, but grow dense in deeper sweetness as the third burns down.

2nd third: fantastic balance of tobacco, deeper spice and enough sweet touches to make for a very full, but not heavy, flavor experience. Light wood and floral notes are present in the nose. This third begins to really come into a complex but extremely well balanced profile that certainly speaks to it's Fuente make. The finish steadily gains in fullness, maintaining much of the draw flavors. The ash falls at the halfway mark. Sweetness fades off as the last third approaches. Additionally, that pesky tear in the wrapper begins to bulge a bit.

However, it was no match for my airbender kung-fu

Final third: Sweetness has been fading and now squarely background notes that help accentuate the wonderful spice bouquet and wood note forefront. Sure to only sip, the Don Carlos still produces plenty of smoke, keeping the smaller gauge stick cool all the way down.

Final conclusions: /5

Overall excellent stick! The profile was interesting and perfectly balanced. The flavor faded and grew with very smooth shifts that were easy to follow and appreciate. The overall profile was certainly akin to the several Fuente sticks I have enjoyed thus far... Smooth and wonderful tobacco, subtle sweetness, excellent bouquet of spice, and hints of wood and floral notes that meld to create a very pleasant and satisfying experience. With a little help, construction concerns were nullified. The burn was in need of no attention, the ash held strong, and the stick stayed cool down to the nub. You can't ask for more than that.

This is a cigar that will easily find a home in my humi. Perfect for mid-day or the out and about herf. Not so complex as to warrant one's full attention, but certainly enough flavor and balance to garner any puffers appreciation.

Smoke time: approx 1 hr

Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

Re: Fuente Don Carlos #4 Review

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the Don Carlos is one of the most under rated cigars out there.

Very enjoyable review Justin! Those are great sticks.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

hey Jay , why is the 4th picture the back of an LFD stick??

The tear in the Don Carlos started to bulge as I smoked it down. I had a band from an airbender nearby, so I snagged that and wrapped it around the bulge to keep it from misbehaving. Since it's a pretty long/wide band, it kept the fingers nice and cool, while allowing the burn to stay even through the torn portion.
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

Wow, that is really a great review. Not just the cigar, but the way you presented it. I really want to thank you for this review as it reminded me of the Don Carlos line which I had forgotten about. I remember when Fuente first brought out this line. I don't think there had ever been anything quite like it before. I think when the Opus X came out it kind of over shadowed the Don Carlos line. Regardless, a great review of a great cigar.
    "Man made laws to set you free on earth but is God satisfied
    Will your lawyer talk to God for you?" Kitty Wells

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Great review Jay! I'm a big fan of the Don Carlos, that was my first cigar I had in Ybor last Tuesday!
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

Well, it's certainly an excellent way to start a day! I was really impressed with it and will be hitting the b&m to snag more up. I had said at the herf that I was inadvertently ignoring A Fuentes... No more! The Don C, Hemingway and JC have me interested again.

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

I agree with you completely! ...but don't forget that VSG!

I plan on smoking one of mine sometime this week.
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

I'm saving up to make the VSG my first box purchase.

Nice review Justin! I like the way you put the pics together!

WTF did all the sticks I sent get damaged? Was the box crushed when it showed up? grrrrrrrr dis satisfaction with usps grows by the day.

Fantastic review very, well put together. Out of the don carlos line the #4 is my fave
    you should see a dr for erections lasting longer than 4 hours, does that apply to e-peens as well?

Nah, it happened when I was shifting things around in my humi, Kap, and thanks for the awesome smoke and kind words!
    Last edited by jaysalti; 07-13-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kapathy View Post
    WTF did all the sticks I sent get damaged? Was the box crushed when it showed up? grrrrrrrr dis satisfaction with usps grows by the day.
    Look who is the whiney cry baby now!!!! Go take a , and then , while you

Sorry to hijack your review Justin, I could not help but to

Back on topic! LOL

Lol! Paybacks!

Cheers with warm beers