Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genesis The Project by Ramon Bueso Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Genesis The Project by Ramon Bueso Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I received my box today. Instead of giving it some down time, I decided to review one ROTT because I ...

Genesis The Project by Ramon Bueso Robusto Review

I received my box today. Instead of giving it some down time, I decided to review one ROTT because I know there is some interest.

A brief description from the cigar.com site.

Expect medium to full-bodied characters as earth, leather, and light spices grace your palate.
    A few pictures of the box and packaging.

And the cigar itself.

As you can see, a little misshapen, but nothing to worry about. The cigar is dark, oily, has some veins. What was surprising is how is how dry and firm it is. Not under humidified by any means, but more like it's been sitting at 60% RH for some time. That point is definitely a nice change of pace. I expected these to be overhumidified and require some definite down time. It cut nice and straight.

Prelight: Coffee, fruit, and chocolate flavors. Tasty.

1/3: The cigar starts off slightly sweet with burnt sugar, fruit (think cherry), and licorice flavors. It has mild spice and is medium bodied. The draw is a bit tight for my taste. What is nice is the smoke production right off the bat. Lots and lots of smoke. The ash was a bit flaky, but the burn line is straight and that continues throughout the entire cigar.

2/3: The fruitiness has faded and replaced with earthy flavors and retains the slight spice. I tried to smoke it too quickly expecting to create some bitter flavors, but pleasingly to no avail. The flavors are deep and the strength picks up to full. Still tons of smoke production coming from this cigar. The ash also holds a bit better and 1" is definitely possible.

3/3: The light spice and earth continues into the nub. The power is definitely full at this point and full of vitamin N. As you'll see in a bit, I nubbed the cigar. Definitely an enjoyable smoke.

Overall, this is a good smoke. It is definitely young and time will only help it. Basically, I suggest everyone pick up at least a 5 or 10 pack to try early and watch it improve. For $3/smoke (box price), I think you'll find an enjoyable smoke that definitely brings the power. The quoted description above is spot on. It's strong, but not a ton of spice. I like AJ's spice sometimes in his CI sticks, but this is a nice change of pace from that. Do I think it's the best smoke I've had recently? No. Is it well worth the price? Absolutely. I've seen it compared to LP smokes. In terms of smoke production, it's similar. In terms of flavor, it's reminiscent, but not the same.

I'd say right now, it's an 85/100. I believe with some time, it can achieve something in the 90's. It won't surpass your best smokes, but it is worth trying out.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Ants's Avatar

Re: Genesis The Project by Ramon Bueso Robusto Review

Excellent review, thanks Eric!!

Thanks for the review, Eric. Sounds like a cigar that fits my budget and palate.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Nice review, I have been interested in these since I read the artical in the mag. I may have to buy a couple to try now.

WAMBAM's Quiet Killer joshuarodger's Avatar

I've been wanting to see a review of this. Sounds like I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the review.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

very nice cool review ekan, I should be getting my box in tomorrow.I also like to smoke a new cigar ROTT. and then space one out every few weeks to month to see any progression .your review is spot on why I pulled for a box right off the bat( I usally like to try singles or a 5 pack first but with the price point it really didnt make sense). Glad you enjoyed it as hopefully so will I.

Great review I can't wait till Thursday when mine come in.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Good timing on this review, as I just became aware of these and was curious. It's funny, but if you google "888.872.4427", you'll see that the same number is listed both for Ramon Bueso Cigars, and 5 Vegas Cigars, and Meier & Dutch Wholesale Distributors (who happen to have the same mailing address as Cigars International, and cigar.com). I'm so confused...
    Last edited by ProbateGeek; 07-11-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Good timing on this review, as I just became aware of these and was curious. It's funny, but if you google "888.872.4427", you'll see that the same number is listed both for Ramon Bueso Cigars, and 5 Vegas Cigars, and Meier & Dutch Wholesale Distributors (who happen to have the same mailing address as Cigars International, and cigar.com). I'm so confused...
    That is the wholesale distributor for CI and cigar.com. I'm betting it's owned by the big company who owns both.. Scandanavian Tobacco Group.

Meier & Dutch Wholesale Distributors

Home Brewin' Herfer doomXsaloon's Avatar

great review...i smoked a few ROTT already and I love this stick....def my new fave....
    "Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels." --Alfred de Musset

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Call it, see what they say. He must be the man behind 5 vegas. I think 5 vegas is CI exclusive isn't it? Come on, call it!!!!
    Cigars for the Troops -donatecigars4troops@gmail.com

So can we go ahead and call this the cheapo Liga or is it still to early to tell?

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E Dogg View Post
    Call it, see what they say. He must be the man behind 5 vegas. I think 5 vegas is CI exclusive isn't it? Come on, call it!!!!
    Did. It was a Meier & Dutch after hours' recording.

Nothing to see here...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Playground Legend angryeaglesfan's Avatar

Great review Eric, and I agree with everything you say.....I got one of these at Cigarfest this year, and actually tried it about 3 weeks ago. I will be ordering a box of these in the very near future to add to the rotation. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Llacrossedude7 View Post
    So can we go ahead and call this the cheapo Liga or is it still to early to tell?
    I'm just curious if it's close to being a poor mans Liga I need something cheaper than No.9 robbies for my everyday smoke,
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast