Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Arturo Fuente Opus X Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Arturo Fuente Opus X Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Cigar: Arturo Fuente Opus X Robusto ( 5.25" x 50 ) I just received this cigar from TampaToker in the ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Arturo Fuente Opus X Robusto Review

Cigar:
    Arturo Fuente Opus X Robusto ( 5.25" x 50 )
    I just received this cigar from TampaToker in the non-CC MAW a few days ago. Thanks Chris. Since then it has sat in my coolidor at about 62% RH. It's hard to narrow down a price on these as they are all over the place on the internet, but I believe the 3-pack tin is somewhere in the $50 vicinity when purchased from a non-gauging vendor.

Initial Impression and Light:
    The cigar is covered with a large band, a strip of cedar, and a red ribbon on the foot. After removing the cedar and ribbon, you can get a pretty good picture of the construction of the cigar. It had a light brown wrapper with an oily sheen and minimal veins. There was a small hole in one of the wrapper leaves that didn't seem to affect anything. The seams were excellent and the triple cap was very nicely done. The feel of the cigar was very firm with a very dense pack and no noticeable soft spots. The smell of the cigar was oddly like pad-thai. I punch cut the cap which gave a slightly tight draw, then toasted and lit the cigar with a soft flame lighter.

The Smoke:
    The cigar started off with muted flavors of what I'd call cognac, wood, and some earthiness. It seemed difficult for me to place the flavors as this cigar seemed very different from everything else I've had so far. The burn was excellent, almost razor sharp.

The second third of the cigar was just a continuation of the first third. Somewhere around the half-way point, I started retrohaling which gave cedar but changed the finish giving off toasted nuts, fresh roasted coffee, and oak. The burn continued to be excellent.

The final third was the same as the second third, continuing giving great flavors and aromas on and after the retrohale. The ash finally fell naturally after about four inches. The burn after the ash fell, needed a touch up. The nicotine kick seemed to be getting pretty strong at the end. With about an inch left, the total burn time was just about two hours.

Final Thoughts:
    I've been told that Opus X's need a few years to come into their own. Well the flavor profile on this one was good with the flavors in and after the retrohale being excellent. And while the flavor profile at this time wasn't my favorite, I can see great potential. The construction and burn were both amazing. Just look at that ash.

Below is the burn progression

Last edited by hachigo; 07-16-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    It's a trap!

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Re: Arturo Fuente Opus X Robusto Review

i love opus pron

No longer a community member.

Good review of my favorite non Cuban brand. Wait till you try some 6/7 years old. Yum!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

Very nice review and pics Hach - well done!!

I ain't ! I'm just a little large for my size!

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Good review of my favorite non Cuban brand. Wait till you try some 6/7 years old. Yum!
    Thanks Dave. I have an Opus X Shark that I'm going to try to age for at least 3 years. Now to just get it to the bottom of the cooler and forget about it
    It's a trap!

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    Thanks Dave. I have an Opus X Shark that I'm going to try to age for at least 3 years. Now to just get it to the bottom of the cooler and forget about it
    Forget about forgetting about that sucker. It will haunt your dreams and desires with it's siren song.
    Disciplina praesidium civitatis VTL

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    When I hit your state we can smoke some of mine dude. You will like them I promise since you liked what you reviewed I can say that with confidence.

That sounds great, man. I look forward to it.
    It's a trap!

MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar

Wow! That ash held on forever. Sounds like a great cigar. One of these days, I'll have to pick up an OpusX and forget about it for a few years.

good one Brent, sounds like a treat!

Alpha Puffer Fish

Someday, I will know the joys of an opus x. right now, my noob brain can't handle it. Great review though!
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Maturing Puffer Fish TampaToker's Avatar

Nice review, glad you enjoyed it.