Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story Natural Review

This is a discussion on Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story Natural Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Cigar: Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story Natural ( 4" x 48 ) Perfecto. I just received this cigar a few ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story Natural Review

Cigar:
    Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story Natural ( 4" x 48 ) Perfecto.
    I just received this cigar a few days ago from TampaToker in the non-CC MAW. Thanks Chris. Since then it has sat in my cooler at about 62% RH. Looking online places this cigar around the $5 when purchased by the box.

Initial Impression and Light:
    This cigar had a nice medium brown wrapper with a few small veins. There was a slight over use of pectin down towards the foot of the cigar. The construction of the cigar with moderately firm with a moderate pack and no noticeable soft spots. The smell of the cigar was a pretty light hay. I punch cut the cap which gave a good, slightly tight draw and very neutral flavors pre-light. I toasted and lit the nub on the foot, which was very easy being so small.

The Smoke:
    The cigar started off with a great mix of earth, wood, cocoa powder and spices. The burn traveled smoothly down the nub and continued in razor sharp.

The second third was a continuation of the first third. The burn continued to be great.

The final third changed to nice rich coffee with some woodiness and spice. The burn stayed great till the end. The ash finally fell with about an inch left in the cigar. The total burn time was about an hour fifteen.

Final Thoughts:
    Not that it affected anything, but if I didn't know any better, I would have guessed that this was a nicaraguan cigar based on the flavor profile. Anyway, between the burn, the construction, and the flavor profile, it was an excellent cigar.

Below is the burn progression

It's a trap!

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Re: Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story Natural Review

One of my favorite shorts smokes (that can some times outsmoke a robusto).

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Great review Brent, thanks. Hope you didn't burn your fingers nubbing that one LOL
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreggor57 View Post
    Great review Brent, thanks. Hope you didn't burn your fingers nubbing that one LOL
    Haha, funny you mentioned that. I did, in fact, put it down finally when I could no longer hold it and it burned my fingers.
    It's a trap!

Maturing Puffer Fish TampaToker's Avatar

Awesome review. These are my everyday smoke when I don't want to try something new. Very well made smokes, and the flavor is very consistent. I had one last night, but I smoked it in about 45 minutes. Maybe I'm smoking too fast...

Another "delicious" review, Brent.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Thanks for another fine review Brent!

I have yet to encounter someone who dislikes this cigar. It is possibly the safest recommendation to make to a cigar smoker, regardless of his/her level of experience.

This is "the one that got away" for me. I love Hemingway's actual short stories, one of my favorite books being In Our Time. It seems though every time I go into the store to pick one of these guys up, I end up seeing something else I like. Someday I'm just going to have to grab some off the Devil Site and enjoy.

Love the review and pics. Very good sir. Keep 'em coming!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaspers14 View Post
    This is "the one that got away" for me. I love Hemingway's actual short stories, one of my favorite books being In Our Time. It seems though every time I go into the store to pick one of these guys up, I end up seeing something else I like. Someday I'm just going to have to grab some off the Devil Site and enjoy.
    On that note, there's also "The Old Man and the C" by Tatuaje

Quote Originally Posted by TampaToker View Post
    Awesome review. These are my everyday smoke when I don't want to try something new. Very well made smokes, and the flavor is very consistent. I had one last night, but I smoked it in about 45 minutes. Maybe I'm smoking too fast...
    I think I tend to be one of the slower smokers. From reading other peoples experiences, I think 45 minutes to an hour seems the norm for the short stories.

If you haven't tried the Short Story Maduro, I suggest you try one of those. While this cigar was great, my sample of the SSM was fantastic.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. More reviews are sure to come. Probably try the PDR 1878 Capa Maduro I got from Chris next.
    It's a trap!

Full grown Puffer Fish nikesupremedunk's Avatar

Thank you so much for the review! Bought this yesterday at my b&m because it looked interesting and I wanted a quick 30 minute smoke (at least I thought it was gonna be quick). Surprised it takes about an hour to smoke! I didn't expect that with the name being "short story" and all, lol.

Nice review Brent! Good pics too.
    "I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting." - Michael Jordan