Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pinar Del Rio 1878 Cubano Especial Capa Madura Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Pinar Del Rio 1878 Cubano Especial Capa Madura Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Cigar: Pinar Del Rio 1878 Cubano Especial Capa Madura Robusto ( 5" x 52 ) I just received this cigar ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Pinar Del Rio 1878 Cubano Especial Capa Madura Robusto Review

Cigar:
    Pinar Del Rio 1878 Cubano Especial Capa Madura Robusto ( 5" x 52 )
    I just received this cigar a few days ago from TampaToker in the non-CC MAW. Thanks Chris. Since then it has sat in my cooler at about 62% RH. Looking online places this cigar just over $3 a piece when purchased by the box.

Initial Impression and Light:
    The first thing you notice about this cigar is the rather long pig tail on the cap. The wrapper was a nice dark brown maduro color with minimal veins and good seams (not the best, but good). The feel of the cigar was firm with a dense pack. The smell of the cigar was a very strong barnyard smell. I tried twising the pig tail to open up the cap (note to self, don't do that again) and then proceeded to punch cut it. The flavor pre-light was much like the smell. I toasted and lit the cigar with a soft flame lighter.

The Smoke:
    The cigar started off with a moderate blast of spice/pepper and earth. A couple puffs in, the pepper was pretty much gone leaving a majority of semi-sweet chocolate with some nice underlying spice. I started retrohaling which is where the cigar really started to shine giving aromas of toasted nuts and fresh ground coffee. The burn was razor sharp and the ash fell at the end of the first third.

In the second third, the predominant flavor was coffee but the retrohale continued the same way. The burn continued being razor sharp. The ash fell right around the end of this third.

Unfortunately I had company and ended letting the cigar go out for 10-20 minutes. When I relit the cigar, it didn't come back the same way, and was a little sour/bitter. Maybe next time.

Final Thoughts:
    The burn, construction and flavor profile were all great, but what really made this cigar shine was the retrohale. This is one of the few cigars I've had where the retrohale really changed the cigar. Anyway, it was a great cigar and the price makes this even better. I think I need to pick up a box.
    It's a trap!

Maturing Puffer Fish TampaToker's Avatar

Re: Pinar Del Rio 1878 Cubano Especial Capa Madura Robusto Review

Awesome review. I have had the same exact experience with the ones I've smoked. I picked up a box and I'm interested to see how they age. Have you tried the Perdomo lot 23 Maduro?

Explorer of fine things.. Quine's Avatar

Nice review thanks. Always interested in PDR. So far like the Oscuro #2 best, but even that isn't spectacular so I'm always looking for something richer in the line. At $3/stick at the box level this one sounds pretty good.
    ...and a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke! -- Rudyard Kipling "The Betrothed"

Quote Originally Posted by TampaToker View Post
    Awesome review. I have had the same exact experience with the ones I've smoked. I picked up a box and I'm interested to see how they age. Have you tried the Perdomo lot 23 Maduro?
    I haven't tried the lot 23 Maduro yet. I've heard great things about it but haven't ended up picking one up yet. I do have a few of the Perdomo Habano Maduros to try, but don't know how they compare.
    It's a trap!

Thanks Brent, I have one resting, can't wait to try it now...
    The Krazy Kanuck

Gee, thanks Chris.
    Thanks to you I just bought a bundle of Toros from Atlantic. They showed out of stock on the website, but they let me know they had one last bundle in stock.
    It's a trap!

Just now getting into PDR's. I will add this one to my "must try" list. Another fine review.

Leading Puffer Fish

Great review TrueBrent! I have yet to meet a PDR I didn't like, and that price point just makes them all the more winning!

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    Gee, thanks Chris.
    Thanks to you I just bought a bundle of Toros from Atlantic. They showed out of stock on the website, but they let me know they had one last bundle in stock.
    Haha. I can't say that I'm sorry, glad you found a stick you like. What did you end up paying? I have been paying 3.75 plus tax at a local b&m.

Picked em up for just about $3 shipped. You're B&M sounds like it has pretty good prices.
    It's a trap!

Quote Originally Posted by hachigo View Post
    Picked em up for just about $3 shipped. You're B&M sounds like it has pretty good prices.
    Yeah, they all do. There is a lot of competition in Tampa. Thompson, Tampa humidor, and tons of small shops. I bought these at a place called cigar castle. They had them marked $4.99, but they are buy 3 get 1, or buy 5 get 2.
    Last edited by TampaToker; 07-20-2012 at 05:21 PM.