Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Drew Estate MUWaT Baitfish review

This is a discussion on Drew Estate MUWaT Baitfish review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Drew Estate MUWaT Baitfish 
    An NHC exclusive

Acquired: Trade with loulax07
    Time in humi; Just over 2 weeks
    Total age: Unknown

Construction:
    Smooth, slightly toothy wrapper. Very veiny, but very flat veins, none raised. A few very minor soft spots, but nothing concerning. Uniform espresso color throughout. 

First third:
    Black pepper and dry savory spices pop on the first draws  Warm, rich, dry cocoa or chocolate, not quite sure which, rich leather, and hazelnut on the retrohale, like Nutella, but dry and not sweet. A fantastic start. Thick, chewy smoke for such a little guy, even with the light breeze. About 3/4" into the cigar, a pleasant wood flavor joins the others and soon becomes one of the leaders. Rich earth too. There's a very subtly sweetness here as well. It doesn't taste sweet at all, you have to think about it to notice it. It simply balances the other dry flavors. Over an inch in, the ash holds like a champ, and smoke output is great. Retrohale conjures up images of rich, dark, moist soil, but warm and dry in tone. 

Second third:
    Flavors profile remains largely the same, though a slight vegetal note appears. It's almost herbal, but herbal gives the wrong impression. Very slight in any case. Unfortunately, shortly after this, the cigar takes on a bitter, metallic tone. I don't much care for it. The ash falls at an inch and a half, I purge, and the metallic bitterness disappears, but espresso, rich chewy espresso joins. At just before the halfway mark, rich chocolate, which had all but vanished, appears boldly on the scene, and is quite welcome. Wood, deep rich leather, chocolate, hints of baking spices all intermingle, and I'm still getting warm, roasted hazelnut on the retrohale. I do find that the slight metallic bitterness shows up if I don't purge every half inch or so, but it's an easy cure. Burn remains maintenance free, ash still solid, smoke still thick and chewy.

Final third:
    Rich earth leaps to the forefront; warm chocolate, espresso, wood with a hint of cedar, and a rich, warm leather round out the flavors. I smoke it right down to the nub. 

Conclusion: 
    The flavors of the Baitfish are very Drew Estate. It's not as refined or as luxurious as the Liga Privada line, and I can see why this was released outside of the label. This is not a subtle, refined cigar. This is a full-flavored little powerhouse. Every flavor is bold and full and rich. It has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, and I can see why so many powerhouse lovers dig it. It may be little too bold for my normal tastes. That being said, it's certainly a bit more refined and well balanced than its larger brothers and it's a nice change from some of the sweeter cigars I've smoked recently, and will likely find a home in my regular rotation. I'm hoping that slight metallic bitterness was a result of it's young age, and that with time, it will be gone. I'll rest the next one a few months and see how it does. 
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Re: Drew Estate MUWaT Baitfish review

There was a DE event last night at a newish B&M that featured the only west coast B&M appearance of this particular vitola. I went for kicks and when I saw how much they were asking for them, I passed, since they were selling them by the 5 or 25 pack and UC corona vivas were the same price. If they had some singles, I would have probably gotten one just to try it once, but for the same price, I don't see them being a better value than a UC corona viva, of which I bought 3. I actually have yet to even try any of the widely available MUWATs, but plan to grab one next time.

From your review, it sounds like a fantastic cigar that's right in my wheelhouse, but I already can get cigars that exhibit a similar profile for 1/3 the price that are a bit larger (5x42 or 5.5x44) and a better value. I don't begrudge DE a bit, since a good part of that cost are the !@#$%^ taxes here in California, and DE has proven to be a company that is not in the business of gouging it's customers.

Thanks for the review!
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Full grown Puffer Fish wahoofever's Avatar

I've been wanting to try these and am happy they are going to be making it to regular accounts soon.

I have not had any other of the MUWAT line because I don't like the big ring gauge.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
    From your review, it sounds like a fantastic cigar that's right in my wheelhouse, but I already can get cigars that exhibit a similar profile for 1/3 the price that are a bit larger (5x42 or 5.5x44) and a better value.
    Which ones might those be? I'd be interested in checking them out!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Nice review. I have the 6x60 that I'm letting sit right now can't wait to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
    There was a DE event last night at a newish B&M that featured the only west coast B&M appearance of this particular vitola. I went for kicks...
    I was there to, did I see you, I was the guy in the leather vest and the Harley.
    Would have tried the Baitfish but for the $...
    You think I'm kidding.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    Which ones might those be? I'd be interested in checking them out!
    I was thinking about a couple of cigars I had in the last week that you're probably aware of; the MOW Puro Authentico and Little Devil, and Diesel corona. I've gotten them all for about $3-$3.50 per when on special and to my palate, are very satisfying med-full bodied smokes. They do need a couple months rest, but are fantastic once they're off the truck for a while.

Your descriptions are so thorough and I'm not sure I'm getting as much out of these cigars as you got out of the Baitfish, since it's hard for me to quantify exactly what flavors I'm experiencing....but I do know that after smoking the above mentioned smokes, I'm not left wanting for anything more.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbike0077 View Post
    I was there to, did I see you, I was the guy in the leather vest and the Harley.
    Would have tried the Baitfish but for the $...
    I saw your bike parked in front. Very nice. I had the grey shirt, blue hat and glasses and was hanging out mostly by the bar watching the baseball game. I came with the intention of trying the baitfish as well, but they weren't selling singles and for the same money, the UC corona viva was a better value, so I got three of those instead.