Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oliva V Maduro 2011 Review (toro)

This is a discussion on Oliva V Maduro 2011 Review (toro) within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Wide eyed with wonder Avenidadecuba's Avatar

Oliva V Maduro 2011 Review (toro)

Oliva V Maduro 2011 (Toro)

Information:
    Brand: Oliva
    Rolled: Estelí, Nicaragua
    Vitola: Toro
    Length: 6
    Ring Gauge: 50
    Filler – Jalapa Valley Ligero
    Binder – Nicaraguan
    Wrapper – San Andreas Maduro

Appearance and Construction: This is a very dark and earthy looking cigar with a slight sheen of oil. Many times a cigar will look like a perfect tube, but this is what I would call lumpy. It pulls off the shabby look fabulously. It has an super thick and multicolored dark brown wrapper with very minor veins and lots of tooth. There was one small spot with the wrapper missing, but nothing to worry about. The stick is topped with a nicely constructed triple cap. The foot is well packed with no stem. The band looks almost identical to the regular Oliva V, except for one small detail. It has Maduro written in cursive on the side.

Pre-Light: The foot gives off a hints of hay and wine with gobs of earthy fermented tobacco. The wrapper smells of chocolate, wine, pepper, and what can only be described as a bit of saltiness. The pre-light draw tastes of raisins and leather and leaves a tart sweetness on the palate. Looks and smells are tantalizing.

A Journey begins: Upon toasting, I noticed a fragrance of roasted nuts. After the first puff, I am blown away by how smooth the finish is for a ligero laden maduro. The retro-hale was not so gracious, sabotaging my senses with pepper and a burn that cooled to leave a taste of cashew. The smoke is mouthwatering and juicy. I absolutely love when a cigar makes your mouth water. Anticipate having to spit.

Sweet raisin, leather, and a deep charred chocolate flavor engage the palate leaving a slight tingle at the back of the throat and pepper on the lips. The pepper comes on a little stronger with each puff, but is a perfect compliment. Right away, you'll notice how incredible the cigar is. It has an array of flavors, tons of depth, and a spice that continues to grow but never overpowers. It's got a perfect draw and construction, which help produce a lot of tangible smoke. The smell off the foot, is oily and floral. Even the wife noticed the great scent. Whenever she says,“that smells really good” it's invariably scrumptious. By the time you get a quarter in, the cigar begins to settle down and the flavors begin to meld becoming more floral.

On the Road: The spice disappears completely. The floral notes increase, and a tangy flavor is left on the tongue. The stick tastes a lot like the assorted sun grown cigars rather than your normal maduro. The prevailing flavors are earth and wine. As a sign of things to come, my head was already pleasantly buzzing. Ash is a light gray tinged with darker areas which hold on for about an inch and a half. The burn line was exceptional. This far in, it all began to blend together, becoming a motley of flavors,rather than jumping from one to the next. Right when I believed the spice to be gone, it would come back with a warm pepper descending on the palate.

The home stretch: Sweet, sweet, and sweeter. The floral notes weaken and give birth to notes of coffee and earth. All this tied together with a sugar sweet finish and smoke that brings to mind tres leche. Flavors infuse and mellow and the body bursts with strength. This is a cigar for fully fledged smokers,initiates beware. I hadn't been hit this hard in a long time. I had to lie down for a while to recuperate. It's worth getting a little woozy, but you should probably fill your stomach before toasting.

Destination: All in all a highly recommended stick. It's especially complex, robust, and full of varying flavors. Is it box worthy? If you have the spare change, absolutely. I wouldn't advise it as a daily smoke, but as a treat after dinner...ideal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oliva V Maduro 2011 Review (toro)-dscf1020.jpg   Oliva V Maduro 2011 Review (toro)-dscf1005.jpg   Oliva V Maduro 2011 Review (toro)-dscf1017-2-.jpg   Oliva V Maduro 2011 Review (toro)-dscf1047.jpg  
    Last edited by Avenidadecuba; 07-29-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Re: Oliva V Maduro 2011 Review (toro)

thanks for the review Josh, these are tasty sticks.

MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar

Thanks for the writeup. I've only had one of the regular series V sticks, and it was real tasty. I can imagine a maduro would be even better. When do these come out, each year?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Ants's Avatar

Great review Josh! I actually had my first Oliva G Maduro (Torpedo) on Friday night and thought it was a great stick as well. Fortunately, I had a big dinner beforehand and it didn't hit me hard. Thanks for sharing with Puff!

No problem. Yeah, it's a fantastic stick. I smoked it after work before eating (mistake). Normally I smoke any cigar all the way to the nub, where it's burning my fingers. This time, I left at least an inch and half.

I was at that point where I wanted to smoke more, but couldn't. It's a huge dilemma when it's a great stick. You feel sick for having to put it down, but you just can't go on! LOL. Thanks for the compliments fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ants View Post
    Great review Josh! I actually had my first Oliva G Maduro (Torpedo) on Friday night and thought it was a great stick as well. Fortunately, I had a big dinner beforehand and it didn't hit me hard. Thanks for sharing with Puff!
    I believe the torpedo version is wrapped with a Conneticut Shade Maduro. Anything past 2010 is wrapped in a Mexican San Andreas Maduro (Can be great). I had the torpedo years ago, and would say it was better, bu this is still a fantastic stick.

Honestly, I've never found Oliva's too appealing. I've always felt like they had a super earthy taste to them, that I just don't enjoy. That said, the last one I smoked was almost two years ago and really want to make an effort to try these again.

Love the Oliva V. Great review Josh.

Thanks for the review, Josh. Makes me want to run out and see if I can find one.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Great review, Josh. One of my favorites.

Cada día canto mejor charlygardel's Avatar

Nice review!

I'm a big fan of Oliva in general, the V in particular, and the 2011 V Maduro is just at the top of the heap, as far as I'm concerned. I've got a box left, but I think they did such a good job with the 2011 that I'd love to see them make this particular blend a regular production stick.

Quote Originally Posted by charlygardel View Post
    Nice review!

I'm a big fan of Oliva in general, the V in particular, and the 2011 V Maduro is just at the top of the heap, as far as I'm concerned. I've got a box left, but I think they did such a good job with the 2011 that I'd love to see them make this particular blend a regular production stick.
    Absolutely. I smoked one a week before this stick just to pick up some flavors and see what it was all about. I was going to wait a while with this but it was so good that I just had to smoke it. One of the best combinations of flavor a nuance out there.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Lrbergin's Avatar

I'm a big fan of the V's as well. Just something about them that I can't get away from. Local B&M had some #4's I picked up the other day. I wish the #4's were easier to come by. The V's is a great smoke but I don't always have a gut full of food to be able to handle some of the lager vitolas and it's a great quick smoke.

One of the most underrated V's out there is the Lancero. It's probably my second favorite vitola of the original (non-maduro). If you can get your mitt's on them, get them!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Stinkdyr's Avatar

Good review. And after trying several regular wrap V's, I wondered what all the fuss over the V was all about. I enjoyed the other Olivas better. But I just had my first V maduro........and that made all the difference. I am a convert to the V.......as long as it is a maduro. Very nice cigar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast