Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pinar Del Rio Exclusivo Reserva Limitada Robusto Review

This is a discussion on Pinar Del Rio Exclusivo Reserva Limitada Robusto Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

No longer a community member.

Pinar Del Rio Exclusivo Reserva Limitada Robusto Review

Pinar Del Rio Exclusivo Reserva Limitada Robusto

Size: 5 x 52
    Wrapper: Dominican Habano
    Binder: Criollo 98 and Brazilian Habano (double binder)
    Filler: Nicaraguan tobaccos from Jalapa and Esteli, Dominican Criollo 98, Corojo, and Negrita Canca Habano
    Cost: $3.00

Prelight: This cigar had an attractive dark brown wrapper with an oily sheen. The smell of the wrapper is a fantastic rich earth and coffee. The construction looked decent with minimal veins, tight seams, and consistent firmness. A prelight draw was on the restrictive side but acceptable.

Burn: The burn on this cigar was decent and only minor touchups were needed. The ash usually held for about an inch. The draw stayed on the restrictive side but stayed acceptable. The cigar has a good volume of thick chewy smoke throughout. Total burn time was about an hour and a half.

Taste: After smoking threw most of a box I can say the flavor is inconsistent and random. My experience is that you can expect any or all of the following flavors to show up. Oak, cedar, leather, dark roast coffee, earth, vanilla, molasses. The only consistency in flavor that I found is all of them have a very sweet molasses as a base flavor. The thing I find a bit odd about these cigars are that instead of the normal slow progression of flavors that I am used to, the dominate flavors on these seem to change every other draw. I would call this cigar full flavor medium strength.

Conclusion: To be honest I am a bit at odds with how I feel about this cigar. Personally I find it too sweet for my preference and I find the abrupt flavor changes odd. But at the same time it smokes pretty good for its price point and I think it might appeal to certain smokers. Although this cigar is not infused I think it might appeal to that demographic.

Review Notes: The cigar reviewed was in my humidor for six months at 66% rh. I drank black coffee and water while smoking. Due to the abrupt flavor changes I thought their might be a possibility that this was a mixed filler cigar. Abe Flores via email assured me that it was long filler.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Re: Pinar Del Rio Exclusivo Reserva Limitada Robusto Review

Maybe it's a mix of random long-filler?
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Nice review, John. I found the three I've smoked, to have the the tightest draw, I've ever seen.

I was sold on this from a robusto I got in a bomb that most likely had some good time on it and the subsequent ones I purchased have not exhibited the dense rich flavor of that first one. I'm sitting on a box of robustos that will see a year since I bought it in a couple of months and will sample one from it at that point to see where they're at. I like sweetness if it's in concert with some spice, my favorite combo in cigars, but too much can be...well, too much.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    it might as well be random, theres 8 different types of tobacco in this one cigar, supposedly.

i found the flavors to be muddled and change too often for my taste. i know they were at my preferred humidity last time i smoked one, but the smoke was so think and substantial, it felt almost moist, like a damp basement. im normally a HUGE pdr fan, but i felt like this one was a huge disappointment for me.

Random long filler would not really explain the very abrupt flavor changes.

Quote Originally Posted by 36Bones View Post
    Nice review, John. I found the three I've smoked, to have the the tightest draw, I've ever seen.
    With the box I bought the only bad draw was trying one ROTT and it tasted very wet. After they stabalized to 65% rh the rest were slightly restrictive or perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
    I was sold on this from a robusto I got in a bomb that most likely had some good time on it and the subsequent ones I purchased have not exhibited the dense rich flavor of that first one.
    My experience with this box was that they tasted much better at three months than before. I have not noticed much improvement in the subsequent three months. The 1878 Capa Oscuras I have however, have gone from good at three months to awesome at six months.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

I must get my hands on some Capa Oscuras to store...
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

I must get my hands on some Capa Oscuras to store...
    Yes you do. I recently sent one with eight months on it to Paul (Bunnasaurusrex) and it blew his mind the difference a few months can make.

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Thanx for reviewing one of my fav smokes JP
    I've a hard time keeping track of how my smokes age over time compared to what they were ROTT. I'm not too picky a smoker. About the only thing that pisses me off is a plugged vitole. Most recent offender... CAO Black Ltd. Edition Frontier in 7'x50.

Typically I find PDR to be consistent quality in general.

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale aroma's Avatar

Thanks for the review!
    Base of "very sweet molasses" - sounds like I might like it.
    Did you notice much pepper?
    puff-o-matic (cigar puff timer)

Puffer Fish with some spikes dayento2's Avatar

thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by aroma View Post
    Did you notice much pepper?
    I don't recall ever getting any pepper in these.

Just tried one of these for the first time. I'm only about a inch or two in but I like it. I agree with much of what was said in the review except I only have 4 more of these to smoke to determine consistency. It's a decent and enjoyable medium to full bodied handmade.

Maturing Puffer Fish

I think the OP accurately described these and matches with my experience as well - decent burn, but a mixed bag from one cigar to the next with respect to flavor. That said, I think it's just a matter of whether the mixed bag bothers you or not. I've never had an unpleasant experience with respect to flavor, and I find it kind of nice to be surprised once in awhile.

I like them when I can get them for a discounted price. I think they are as advertised - a complex blend of 8 different tobaccos. I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect them to have a consistent flavor pattern from one cigar to the next.

-Pablo

Thanks for the review. CI has them as their weekly special (Torps $50 and Robustos $40) and I was tempted because I have been wanting to try them. Based on the review, I think I will pass. But maybe I will look for the Capa Oscuras.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast