Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blind taste test revies Cigar "A"

This is a discussion on Blind taste test revies Cigar "A" within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Time for the fun to begin... the detials are in this thread http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/genera...olunteers.html Please remember to keep the reviews in ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

Blind taste test revies Cigar "A"

Time for the fun to begin... the detials are in this thread

Blind Taste Test (Needs Volunteers)

Please remember to keep the reviews in this format....

Pre Light - This can include appearence, construction, smell, or anything else thas has to do with your general pre light inpsection.

1st Third- Flavours and general thoughts of the first third

2nd Third- Flavours and general thoughts of the second third

Final Third- Flavours and general thoughts of the final third

Overall - Put in your overall thoughts. Along with this I would like for you to include what you think the cigar is worth.

Discussion is encouraged, and as always have fun.

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Re: Blind taste test revies Cigar "A"

I paired a glass of water with this review for a clean palate. This is my first review, so I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any flavors!

Pre Light - Nice brown wrapper, smells of grass, hay, and barnyard. Cut the tip and the spicy draw is effortless.

1st Third - Dry, mild, long lasting spicy on the back of the tongue. Very flaky ash, creamy thick smoke. A very light sweet taste washes over my tongue, but dissipates as quickly as it appears. Razor sharp burn. About 20 minutes in the spice drops off and is replaced by a nice leather taste.

2nd Third - Ash hangs on for about 1" then falls. At the beginning of the 2/3 a very strong hay/barnyard flavor takes over. Spice is slowly coming back, stronger at each draw.

Final Third - Flavor change - Nutmeg/Leather with no spice. Still mild with hints of nicotine.

Overall - I enjoyed this cigar. The aroma throughout the entire smoke was fantastic! I had ZERO burn issues and the draw stayed perfect the entire smoke. I would assume this cigar would cost around $8.99 at my local B&M.

This is where I ended my smoke, with a total time of 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Very nice review Colin. Glad you enjoyed it.

Looking forward to the other two reviews.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by shakinghorizons View Post
    I enjoyed the review and I want one (look forward to the reveal), but my good man, send me this "left over" as that is a good 20-30 more minutes of smoking.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

I'm planning on smoking mine in about 3 hours, so the review should be up later tonight!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ky70 View Post
    I enjoyed the review and I want one (look forward to the reveal), but my good man, send me this "left over" as that is a good 20-30 more minutes of smoking.
    LOL, I was almost 2 hours in and the smoke was starting to get hot.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by shakinghorizons View Post
    LOL, I was almost 2 hours in and the smoke was starting to get hot.
    Lol. I was amazed by the smoke time...that's one slow burning stick.

"Teedle's Mystery Stick A" Blind Review

"Teedle's Mystery Stick A" Review

Cigar: Mystery Stick "A"
    Size: 5x40

Obtained from: blind review stick from TW
    Time in humi: 6 days

Construction:
    Nice shape, with a dark leather colored wrapper. Wrapper is a bit toothy, but no major raised veins. A few soft spots, but nothing too concerning. 

Prelight:
    Smells of barnyard and sweet hay  cold draw gives Sweet wood, and a bit of leather. A slight spiciness on the tongue.

First third:
    Initially lights easily with a nice amount of smoke. Fairly easy first draw is full of black pepper. After a few puffs, it settles down enough to reveal some sweet cream, which reminds me a lot of a Brickhouse. Pepper stays at the back of the throat for the first half inch then settles a bit more.  Burn is good, a little slanted, but nothing to worry about. Draw is breezy. Ash is wavy and loose, but holds for a solid inch. 

At an inch in, some graham cracker and light cocoa and even lighter espresso join the sweet cream. It's a little like a watered-down iced double shot, like the bottom half of the drink after the ice has melted when its a bit watery. Retrohale brings leather and  dry wood, nice and necessary additions to round out and fill in the light flavors so far present. This is a stick you have to retrohale on, and it does wonders. 

Ash falls at an inch and a half (all over me!). After a bit if a purge, coffee, leather, and sweet cream remain, with just a hint of savory spice on the lips. Wood and leather on the retrohale, warmer in tone now. 

Second third:
    Back to primarily sweet cream, with traces of coffee. Light leather and wood still on the retrohale. The pepper and spice stick around too in the background. As it warms up around the halfway point, some roasted nuts appear in the flavor, giving some nice dimension. Draw remains easy, smoke output satisfactory, and the ash quite flaky, though it's still holding on at an 1.75in. With two inches left, light white pepper in the background, a watery coffee, roasted nuts, and dry wood on the front. Leather continues to dominate the retrohale, but nicely. 

Final third:
    Ash drops for the second time with just over an inch and a half to go. I feel a but of nic kick is felt for the first time at this point. The flavors remain the same, though warmer. Ive found the rhythm of the cigar though, and if i puff just a but more frequently than normal, the flavors stay a bit stronger and I get a bit of pepper to round things out.  This stays true for about another inch  At just under an inch,  bit of a burnt ash taste creeps in, so I have to slow down a bit. I do nub the thing. 

Conclusion:
    I'd rate this a solid $5 stick. It's good, but in my opinion lacks depth. Then again, I generally prefer a much bolder flavor profile, so perhaps for those who enjoy a slightly milder experience, this would be right up their alley. It tasted very similar to what I remember the Brickhouse tasting like. I'd actually have guessed that it was a Brickhouse Corona, but I don't think they make one. 
    Last edited by teedles915; 09-16-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Nice review Derek, you pretty much hit the nail on the head as to what my pallete says also. I do pick up a baking spices undertone that you didn't seem to.

(I merged the two threads so that we would have all the reviews in one place)

TW, thanks for the merge. Any chance you can fix my auto-correct issues? ("if" instead of "of", "but" instead of "bit", etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    TW, thanks for the merge. Any chance you can fix my auto-correct issues? ("if" instead of "of", "but" instead of "bit", etc)
    Derek I just saw the one error an I fixed it for ya. If there is another please let me know and I will get it corrected. Once again thanks for the review.

Re: "Teedle's Mystery Stick A" Blind Review

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    "Teedle's Mystery Stick A" Review
    Excelllent review of the mystery stick Ninja and Colin !
    Enjoyed reading these ..

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

My sinus funk is finally on the downswing and I can taste things again! So here I am FINALLY with my review of stick "A". To keep things fair and unbiased I have completely avoided this thread until now and even when I came in to post this I didn't read anyone else's review.

Blind Review Stick "A"
    Size: 5.5''x44
    Paired with: Kraken and Coke
    Wrapper: Habano?

Pre-light: Not a bad looking stick from a construction standpoint, tidy seams with a nicely packed foot, well applied double cap, and only a couple medium veins, but it is slight spongey on the squeeze test. The wrapper has a very rustic/weathered appearance that reminds me a little of the CAO OSA Sol. When I first removed it from its cellophane the smell from the wrapper went beyond barnyard to what I can only describe as "primate house", but after sitting on the edge of my ash tray as I write this it has mellowed and there is a very faint touch of honey. The aroma from the foot is light earth and natural tobacco. It clipped without issue to give a light/medium draw and flavors of natural tobacco with light hints of earth and musty leather.

1/3: The cigar lit fairly easily and started off with a unique opening blend of flavors. I picked up earth, leather, cinnamon, floral, and just a hint of pepper on the retrohale. So far so good! After the initial flavorful kickoff the floral and leather fade and the earth and pepper pick up a tad, and the cinnamon flavor changes to a cinnamon graham cracker flavor then fades out almost completely. At just under an inch into the cigar I'm getting leather, a light earthiness, and roasted nuts, with maybe just a tiny little hint of vanilla? The pepper is still there in the retrohale, but it's not overpowering. The burn isn't perfectly straight, but it's not far from it and the ash, though it appears fragile, hangs on for ~1 3/4". At this point I'd say this cigar is medium bodied.

2/3: Beginning the second third I notice that the ridiculous ambient humidity is causing the wrapper to burn a little slow so I give it a quick touch up and a flaming purge. The purge doesn't give much flame, which makes sense considering this cigar was dated 10/2011. The usual suspects are all still here as far as flavor goes; leather, earth, roasted nuts, hint of vanilla, and a touch of pepper on the retrohale. The burn is almost perfect now. The cigar is giving off good amounts of smoke that is just slightly oily and chewy. It fills my mouth without leaving a slimey, residual oils effect. Expecting the ash to hold for at least an inch again I get careless and at ~3/4" it crashes all over my keyboard! (note to self, buy some canned air ) At this point the flavors are still pretty much the same other than a slight sour bitterness trying to creep into the background so I give it another purge and let it sit for a minute. When I pick it back up the harshness is pretty much gone. 37 minutes in I'm at the halfway point. That's slightly faster than my normal smoking pace and is probably the reason for the harshness. Past the halfway point the earthiness is tapering off and the leather is picking up a tad. The roasted nuts are still there, as are the hint of vanilla and the pepper on the retrohale, and a slight grassiness had been added to the retrohale. The ash is dropping consistently at ~3/4" now and the burn is still very good. The body is approaching medium/full now.

3/3: Going into the last third the vanilla fades out and just a tiny hint of floral comes in. The pepper is just barely there on the retrohale now. With about 1 1/4" left the flavors take a strange turn and I pick up something almost soapy... It's strange, but it doesn't give the bitter, HORRIBLE taste or mouth feel of actually getting soap in your mouth and it doesn't linger on the finish, so it's not necessarily bad, just different. Who knows? Maybe it's a lingering effect of the sinus/allergy funk. The stick is finishing off at medium body and the burn has remained excellent with no touchups needed other than having to catch the wrapper up a little once, thanks to the 99.9% ambient humidity. In an hour and 10 minutes I burned it all the way down to finger scorching territory then stuck it in a pipe to finish it completely.

Overall: This cigar was nothing to make me jump up and down, and scream and shout, but it wasn't a bad smoke by any means. It reminded me a little bit of the Gurkha Micro Batch Liga TPB-1, which I enjoyed. (Yes I just admitted to enjoying a Gurkha ) I'm almost certain this was a habano of some sort. What kind? I have no idea! Is it something I would go to great lengths to find? No. Is it something I wouldn't mind having around when I'm in the mood for a habano wrapped corona that I don't have to pay a lot of attention to? Yes. It was a pretty dang decent, straight forward, every day kind of smoke in one of my preferred wrappers and a vitola I love, at the right price point. Ah, price point... I would guess that this one has a suggested price in the $5-$6 range, but can be picked up in the sub $4 range if you know where to look. For that price it's a good smoke. At $5 per there are too many superior sticks and I would pass.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the review and I can't wait to find out what I just smoked!
    Last edited by AStateJB; 09-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Thanks for the review Josh, great job!!!!

Now for the big reveal.... you gentlemen have just smoked a Don Kiki Red Label Corona. They are available from Cuban Crafters. They are regulary available for under $2 dollars a stick, and are one of my go to everyday smokes..

Corona Cigars Don Kiki Cigar - CUBANCRAFTERS
    Last edited by teedles915; 09-17-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Nice! I've heard of them, but never tried one. I'd say for under 2 bucks they're a steal. Thanks TW.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast