Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero DL700 review

This is a discussion on La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero DL700 review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Last nights cigar was a doozy. I picked this one up the same time I picked up the Camacho Corojo ...

Full grown Puffer Fish zenbamboo's Avatar

Unhappy La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero DL700 review

Last nights cigar was a doozy. I picked this one up the same time I picked up the Camacho Corojo I just reviewed so it had a year or two to rest. It had a lot of the same spice notes that the Camacho had but they were muted behind something like a strong leather taste. It burned extremely slow. Two and a half hours slow!

Appearance: It was well constructed. No large veins. The cap was nice and neat. Firmly packed.

Aroma/Taste: Not much scent to this wrapper either. The foot had a nice coffee and spice scent to it. On light up it had a dark roast coffee taste really coat my palate. Very smooth. Then the cigar fizzled for about half an inch. Not much to it. Then thankfully it picked back up with muted notes of raisins, coffee and nutmeg, but they seemed to be covered over by a strong leather taste. This went on and on until the last third where it really slowed down and didn't want to stay lit. I am a slow smoker, but this is ridiculous. I purged it once and huge flames came barreling out of it. After that it really didn't want to stay lit and any good flavors were gone. After struggling to keep it lit and realizing that two and a half hours had passed I called it quits.

I will have to pick up a couple more and see if this one was just a dud. I have heard so many good things about them so I will give them another shot.

Name:  2012-09-14_23-23-29_101.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  21.0 KB
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. -- President Ronald Reagan

Re: La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero DL700 review

Thanks for the review, Scott. I have one resting and it will be my first LFD Double L. I am trying to rest it for a year but you make it difficult since it sounds like it will fit right in my profile.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Young Puffer Fish

Nice review. The way you describe it, it certainly sounds like you got a dud. I've had a few DL700s and that's never happened to me. Was that the maduro or the natural?

It doesn't say on the band. Could that mean natural? I still have the cello and will look to see if there is a sticker on it.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. -- President Ronald Reagan

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Haven't managed to score these on the devil just yet. Thought these were intriging based on the foot notes.
    Thanks for posting.

No longer a community member.

I've only had one LFD and I smoked it rott. It burned fine but lacked any depth of character. Your description, other than the burn issues that are hopefully isolated incident, does make me want to try another one or two. Wonder why it blew up! Thanks for posting your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin surfer View Post
    I've only had one LFD and I smoked it rott. It burned fine but lacked any depth of character. Your description, other than the burn issues that are hopefully isolated incident, does make me want to try another one or two. Wonder why it blew up! Thanks for posting your experience.
    LFD serves up some of the best aromas and flavor signature than most of what I usually have on hand.
    Note: ligero tobacco is considered to be the most flammable of all the other leaves. As a result of this, they tend to smoke cooler.
    It is also considered to promote significant spice.
    The rapper is definitely a maduro.

Good review RG to ya for the honesty. ***spoke to soon, gotta spread it around, someone get him for me please***

Never had an issue with LFD construction before. Sounds like you had a dud!

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    LFD serves up some of the best aromas and flavor signature than most of what I usually have on hand.
    Note: ligero tobacco is considered to be the most flammable of all the other leaves. As a result of this, they tend to smoke cooler.
    It is also considered to promote significant spice.
    The rapper is definitely a maduro.
    I think you have that backwards. Ligero is the least combustible of the leaves, but they are the most flavorful and they have most of the nicotine out of the three types of leaves.

I appreciate the correction. For some reason or another, that's been stuck in my head as so. Hope it stays out for good now lol.

Nah, don't sweat it. It happens to the best of us.