Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Viaje Honey & Hand Grenades

This is a discussion on Viaje Honey & Hand Grenades within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Viaje Honey And Hand Grenades Vitola: The Rapier Size: 6 1/2 x42 Price: 10$-13$ Smoke Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes ...

Viaje Honey & Hand Grenades

Viaje Honey And Hand Grenades

Vitola: The Rapier
    Size: 6 1/2 x42
    Price: 10$-13$
    Smoke Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes

Prelight: Cool band, cool covering... I like the looks. Strong and pronounced veins through out. Dark brown chocolate colored wrapper. Foot smells of earthy tobacco. I like the small ring guage.... very non-typical Viaje.
    First 1/3: Took me a minute of puffing and lighting to get the closed foot open enough for a good draw. Once it was going, nice thick clouds of chewy smoke. Heavy flavors of sweet, almost sugar cookie, and wonderful tobacco aroma. There is another sweetness in the back ground that I can not name, but it is muddied up by the heavy finish that is lingering in the back of my throat. Burn was a little wavy, and the ash held for about 3/4 inch. So far so good.

Second 1/3: The sweet sugar cookie has turned to more of a chocolate brownie flavor, and has gone to the back ground. A light spice and coffee has come to the front, and isw still mixed with that sweet tobaccoo. The heavy throat feel has gone away, and the spice is really lingering on the finish. Notes of roated nuts, and toast come and go, along with that sweetness I can not place. Ash got really flaky and only held for about 1/2 inch before falling on its own. Burn has corrected, and is going strong now. No Touch ups needed.

Last 1/3: This thing kicks into high gear with very thick flavors and heavy finish. Not as strong on vitamin N as I thought. A mild spice, maybe like a bell peper, is heavy on the draw, and the heat stays with you till the finish. Coffee, and sweet tobacco are ruling as the dominant flavors. A nice touch of creamy butter-like flavor goes in and out of the finish. Ash still refused to stay on for more than 1/2 inch. Burn was good, still no touch ups. Because of the small ring guage, it heated up pretty fast once I got past the band point.

Final Thoughts: Another damn fine cigar from Farkas and Viaje. Like all other Viajes I have smoked, I think it is still very young, and needs a little while to rest and/or age to come into its own. I really enjoyed the cigar from start to finish. As a Viaje whore, it was nice to take a break from short, stubby, fat Viajes, and have a good 42 RG. Nothing bad to say, and nothing amazing to say.... just and overal good cigar. Will I buy a box.... most likely.

Final Grade: /5
    4 shooting smileys out of 5. Not my favorite Viaje by any means, but this one has potential to become an excellent smoke with some time.

Re: Viaje Honey & Hand Grenades

Chris,
    Great review! So I have a stupid question. Which end are you supposed to light? I ask because you lit the pointy end and when I smoked one yesterday I noticed the big end had the little hole in it so I thought you cut the pointed en and lit the big end. Thoughts? Thanks, brother
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Viaje started adding the small hole about 6 months ago to help equalize the RH in the cigars with closed foots. Viajes are all pretty fresh and when they arrive with the closed foot, sometimes are really really wet, and can take a while to even out. Watched and interview with Farkas from IPCPR on youtube, where he explained that he got alot of complaints about the closed foots, and that was his solution to the problem.

So basically light the small end, cut off the end with the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by chris1360 View Post
    Viaje started adding the small hole about 6 months ago to help equalize the RH in the cigars with closed foots. Viajes are all pretty fresh and when they arrive with the closed foot, sometimes are really really wet, and can take a while to even out. Watched and interview with Farkas from IPCPR on youtube, where he explained that he got alot of complaints about the closed foots, and that was his solution to the problem.

So basically light the small end, cut off the end with the hole.
    Cool! Thank you. Time to try again!

Christopher, I am interested to see what your thoughts are after having smoked it both ways. Please post back when you try again. I would love to know if there were any major differences.

Christopher, I am interested to see what your thoughts are after having smoked it both ways. Please post back when you try again. I would love to know if there were any major differences.
    I'll do it. I honestly thought it was a really pointy belicoso

LMAO! Don't feel bad, I have done the same thing on another stick before.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    I'll do it. I honestly thought it was a really pointy belicoso
    Maybe it's supposed to look like a stinger...

Thanks for the review, Chris. Oh and my wallet says, "screw you" because now I want to try these even more.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Puffer Fish with many spikes GoJohnnyGo's Avatar

Awesome review! I love the figures you put in.

Hi Chris,

Nice review. In your graph, you referred to body and strength. This got me curious. For you, what defines the difference between body and strength?

Full grown Puffer Fish nikesupremedunk's Avatar

Nice review. There's a triple cap on the round end and the band would be upside down if you smoke the pointy end so I'm sure you cut the round end. If you smoke it the opposite way, the wrapper will just untangle and you'll be smoking just the binder and filler, so light the correct end!

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    Maybe it's supposed to look like a stinger...

Thanks for the review, Chris. Oh and my wallet says, "screw you" because now I want to try these even more.
    You never really liked that wallet anyways.... empty it on Viajes, and get a new wallet! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post
    Awesome review! I love the figures you put in.
    Thanks. Just trying something new. I saw something similar in a magazine a long time ago. Had me thinking, and I tried it out. Not perfect yet, but I will work on it.

In my opinion body refers to the intensity level, and amount of the flavors. Strength is all nicotine to me.

A light bodied cigar would be one with one or two predominant flavors, very low levels of flavor, or flavors that don't really stand out. Just a tobacco taste.
    A medium bodied cigar would be one with several or many flavors that are medium in intensity. The flavors will stand out more, and are easier to taste.
    A full bodied cigar is one will very full and pronounced flavors. The taste and aromas are in your face, and let you know they are there.

Of course there are variations, and in-between's. Thats just the scale I was taught, and how I have always referred to it. My examples would be like so:
    Mild: Flor De Oliva or Nub connie
    Mild Medium: Gran Habano vintage 2002 or Perdomo Chamgange
    Medium: Padron x000 series or Fuente Hemingway series
    Medium Full: Illusione or Liga Privada No. 9
    Full: Tatuaje Fausto or Viaje Skull and Bones Fat man
    Extra Full: Viaje Roman Candle
    Stupid Full: LFD Chisel

Hope that helps some.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

You never really liked that wallet anyways.... empty it on Viajes, and get a new wallet! LOL.
    Um... my wife got me this wallet so I better hang on to it for a while... I do plan to buy more Viajes though!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaysalti's Avatar

Excellent job! I too am a big fan of the chart additions. I like the decision to go into a smaller rg as well. Many wallets are unhappy with you, good sir.
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast