Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Padron 85 Years Family Reserve Maduro review

This is a discussion on Padron 85 Years Family Reserve Maduro review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I really should have posted this one days ago. I normally smoke the cigars I review the night before and ...

Full grown Puffer Fish zenbamboo's Avatar

Padron 85 Years Family Reserve Maduro review

I really should have posted this one days ago. I normally smoke the cigars I review the night before and write up the review while smoking then next cigar in line. For the last two nights it rained cats and dogs. I should have just posted this one anyhow. I actually have a backlog of quite a few cigars I smoked that I hope to get through in the next couple of weeks. Without further ado my review of the Padron 85 Years Family Reserve Maduro.

I picked this cigar up last Sunday while running errands and my local B&M is just across the street from Costco. I almost always pick up at least one Padron cigar. I can't help it. And they never stay in my humidor long. I have hundreds of cigars with a year or two or three of age on them but Padron calls to me in my sleep. I hadn't heard of the 85th Family Reserve and so I was kind of drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Even looking it up on Padron's website it is missing from their list under the Family Reserve line. I had to go back and look at the cigar band just to be sure of what I bought. So while I type this I have the Padron website open in another tab and I am listening to the lovely latin music on their website while I sit here in this chilly autumn air. The music makes me want to escape to Nicaragua and sip Mojitos on the beach.

Appearance: A silky dark brown wrapper with a few small veins. The box press is never too sharp on any Padron I have ever smoked, but this one very neatly follows all the way through the head. I punched this one and the rectangular box press held up just fine. No cracking.

Aroma/Taste: This is where the rubber meets the road for me. Padron cigars often give me difficulty in describing the complexity of flavors and scents. The wrapper had a faint earthy smell and the foot smelled of raisins, wood, paper, and rich soil. Toasting the foot released a warm and delicious scent of melting chocolate. The first puffs were warm and relaxing like sinking into a plush leather couch. The flavors stayed very consistent for the first two thirds and the burn was straight as a razor right up to the nub. This is the first cigar in a few weeks that I could actually smoke until my finger tips burned. The flavor held up like a champ and became deeper in the final third. All the flavors were still there, but they became creamy. This was a stellar cigar worthy of any celebration. I will be headed back to buy a couple more on payday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-09-16_21-22-45_350.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	71373

Next installment will be a GranHabano Vintage 2002 thanks to gojohnnygo.
    Last edited by zenbamboo; 09-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. -- President Ronald Reagan

Re: Padron 85 Years Family Reserve Maduro review

Good review on a great Padron!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Deadhead Dave's Avatar

Re: Padron 85 Years Family Reserve Maduro review

I have yet to have a Padron I did not love, can't wait to get to this one. Thanks for the awesome review!