Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teedles915 Myster Cigar Review "B"

This is a discussion on Teedles915 Myster Cigar Review "B" within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Time for the fun to begin... the detials are in this thread Blind Taste Test (Needs Volunteers) Please remember to ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader teedles915's Avatar

Teedles915 Myster Cigar Review "B"

Time for the fun to begin... the detials are in this thread

Blind Taste Test (Needs Volunteers)

Please remember to keep the reviews in this format....

Pre Light - This can include appearence, construction, smell, or anything else thas has to do with your general pre light inpsection.

1st Third- Flavours and general thoughts of the first third

2nd Third- Flavours and general thoughts of the second third

Final Third- Flavours and general thoughts of the final third

Overall - Put in your overall thoughts. Along with this I would like for you to include what you think the cigar is worth.

Discussion is encouraged, and as always have fun.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Re: Teedles915 Myster Cigar Review "B"

"Teedle's Mystery Stick B" Blind Review

Cigar: Mystery Stick "B"
    Size: Toro, 6x50

Obtained from: blind review stick from TW
    Time in humi: 7 days

Construction:
    Very nice. Smooth wrapper, no tooth, a beautiful shade of dark chocolate brown. Cigar is firm throughout, no signs of soft spots or lumps. Rounded cap, clean foot. It's a good-lookin cigar!

Prelight:
    Smells strongly of barnyard; hints of wood, dark leather, and bitter cocoa. Cold draw brings very little, a hint of black pepper, some old wood. 

First third:
    I'm greeting in the opening draw with black pepper, dry wood, cedar, leather, and a dark flavor I can't quite identify yet. Smoke output is satisfactory, and the draw is perfect, with just a little resistance. This is right up my alley. About a quarter inch in, it becomes creamy and leans towards sweet. It also tastes familiar, but I can't place it at all! At an inch in, the pepper is gone, and the dominant flavors are dark chocolate, sweet cedar, and wood. A slight roasted nuttiness and leather are added in the retrohale. If it weren't for the fact that I was told it had some age, I'd assume it was a Ramón Bueso Genesis. It's very enjoyable. 

Ash is a bit flaky, and drops at an inch, but I think that was due to the breeze. After a gentle purge, the wood and cedary sweetness remain dominant. My only complaint, and its minor, is that its almost too syrupy. Wood and a light leather, with a hint, just a hint, of both cocoa and some kind of baking spice in the background, and the retrohale is largely the same with some nuttiness added. 

Second third:
    As I hit the four-inch mark, the nuttiness adds itself to the dominant flavors, which helps round out the sweetness a bit. Ash remains flaky and a crack suddenly opened up at the burn line, so we'll see how that develops. While smoke output has diminished somewhat, it remains satisfactory, and is chewy. As a note, I paired this with a Dr. Pepper, but I think black coffee would have gone much better, and would have complemented and cut the natural sweetness instead of enhancing it. The cigar has developed a little complexity, alternating between cedary sweetness and a sort of rich, bitter espresso. Wood remains in the foreground with the sweet cedar and a bit of leather, a little bit of black coffee and dark chocolate in the background. Retrohale continues to add a warm roasted nuttiness. As the cigar continues to swell slightly and crack at the burn line im vaguely aware that I'm struggling somewhat to keep it going  At the 3.5" mark, I pick it up and the ash falls, and I discover it has died on me. For an aged cigar, at the moment it's acting surprisingly young, like a cigar you got from Cbid two weeks ago, that hasn't quite adjusted to the lower rH in your humi yet. 

Anyway, at the relight, it managed to pick up right where it left off, seemingly no worse for the wear. Although I'm noticing a droplet or two of brown liquid at the head of the stirrup, and a small wet spot on the bottom side of the cigar near the burn line as well. Ive noticed this earlier, but thought condensation from my glass had dropped there and I hasn't noticed. I try to photograph it on the cigar...

... but it dries as I'm holding it up to the camera. I purge, and do hear the crackle of liquid evaporating. A concerning development, but oddly/fortunately, the flavor seems unaffected, and the cigar has really hit its stride. The sweetness takes a backseat and roasted nuts, wood, coffee, and a bittersweet chocolate take the lead, and I'm loving the flavor. For the first time, the burn usnt straight, and she needs a little touch-up at the 2.75" mark, which may be due to the frequent light purging I'm doing to ensure any liquid is evaporating and not traveling down towards the foot.

I manage to get a photo of the wet spots that continue to appear:

I don't want to put down the cigar, but even more than that, I don't want to taste that liquid, so I've actually put a book under one end of the ashtray to encourage the moisture to drain into the ember. 

Because of the moisture, the cigar becomes a bit of a struggle to keep lit, and I'm giving light purges often, so the cigar is becoming a bit hot. Which is frustrating because I can tell that aside from this issue, this is a fine cigar! Coffee and sweet cedar are in front, with a bit of pepper bite, which I assume is from the frequency of puffs, while the rest of the flavors remain pleasantly in the background. Unfortunately, there is a twinge of bitterness creeping in though, which I assume is from the moisture. 

Final Third:
    As I hit the final third, the cigar continues to expand just below the burn line, and tiny droplets of liquid continue to form at the underside of the cigar. Flavors remain pleasant, as I continue my routine of purging, waiting 15 seconds as puffing. Suddenly, just below the 2" mark, it's dead. I'm gonna let it lie. 

The progression of burn:

Conclusion:
    I have to admit, on appearance alone, this is the one I most looked forward to out of the bunch, and it didn't disappoint in terms of flavor. Burn was dead on nearly the whole time, smoke was thick and chewy, flavors were rich. If it weren't for the moisture issue, I would have been a very happy man. I still think this is a Ramon Bueso Genesis, despite being told it had some age. It also acted a bit young.  

Aside from the moisture issue, I'd consider this a solid $7-9 cigar. Thanks again to TW for the opportunity!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Nice review Derek. I promise you that it isn't a Ramon Bueso Genesis, it has been resting in my cooler since February of last year when I picked up 3 five packs. I have had a few burn issues with them, but never to moisture to that extent. Glad you enjoyed it!!!

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Haha. After further reflection, it couldn't have been a Genesis. It didn't have the strength behind the wood flavors. I'm thinking perhaps an Alec Bradley.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Feldenak's Avatar

It sounds downright delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldenak View Post
    It sounds downright delicious.
    Yes it does. Great review Derek.
    Be discreet in all things, and so render it unnecessary to be mysterious.
    VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

As usual, I just had a big glass of water for me review.

Pre Light - Nice brown wrapper, smells of barnyard (the only smell I detected to be honest). I wet the cap and the barnyard taste was almost offensive. I proceeded to cut the cap and the draw is effortless, with a slight hint of pepper.

1st Third - Dry, mild, and quite tasty. VERY slight pepper with cedar and leather - moderately thick smoke. There is another taste that comes about on the retrohale, but I cannot put my finger on it - but it's delicious! About an inch in and some burn issues appear, which I had to touch up. The ash dropped on me shortly after the touch-up, and some dark chocolate and cedar tastes take center stage.

2nd Third - Flavors sticking to with dark chocolate and cedar, with a slight leather taste sneaking in. I noticed that I don't puff about every 30 seconds or so, the 'gar is wanting to go out. The burn issues are back again, worse at this point. I am noticing just a hint of bitterness nearing the end of the 2nd third.

I also noticed a patch on the 'gar that must have come off on my fingers at some point

About an hour and a half in, after taking a decent puff, the 'gar magically went out. Here is the ash before relighting

Finale - I light back up and the flavors came right back, just as tasty as the beginning, minus the bitterness. The barnyard aroma coming off the light end is quite appealing.

All in all, I LOVED the taste of this 'gar. Other than the burn issues, this was absolutely fantastic. If I could find this 'gar a little shorter (5" or so), I would pick up a couple 5er's to let rest. With all things considered, I would rate this 'gar a 8/10. I would expect this 'gar to see at my local B&M for $10.99! Total burn time was 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Thanks again for letting me review, this has been quite the pleasant experience!!

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Just smoked this tasty cigar. Review coming soon.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Mystery Stick "B"

Size: 6"x52
    Wrapper: Maduro?
    Paired with: Amberbock

Constuction: This is a well constructed cigar with a very toothy, oily wrapper that appears to be maduro. The seems are easy to spot, but tidy. The roll is consistent and fairly firm with no noticeable voids or soft spots. The double cap is sloppily cut and slightly off center but well applied. There are 2 medium veins, but nothing too terrible.

Prelight: The wrapper has a nice barnyard smell while the foot is dominated by a fermented tobacco aroma. Thecap clips easily with my Palio to reveal a fantastic draw with flavors of natural tobacco and a light cedar.

1/3: This stick lit easily and kicked off with flavors of anise and natural tobacco and a very slight white pepper on the retrohale. The pepper faded quickly once i got past the initial char of lighting and a faint vegatal flavor and sweet tobacco joined the mix. 5 minutes in I'm ready to find out what this is so I can get more! As the first third progresses more subtle flavors join in. There's a mellow, sweet woody flavor, a light floral, and just a hint of leather. Then some baking spice and a sweet almost raisin like flavor. So far it's in the medium to medium/full range. The burn isn't perfect but it's good. The ash drops at ~1 1/4".

2/3: As I get into the second third all the flavors from the first third are there, minus the pepper and the vegetal, and now I'm picking up hints of Burley pipe tobacco and brown sugar. Just before the halfway point the burn goes a little wonky and needs a touchup, but the flavor is so good I don't care! The ash is still holding strong to over an inch and the body is full at this point.

3/3: Going into the last third the warm sweet flavors take on a darker aspect. The sweet backbone is still very much there with a hint of molasses now. Some earyhy flavor is added and a slightly different vegetal flavor comes in as well as a sweet woody flavor. Whatever this is it's TASTY! It finishes up at medium/full with no more burn corrections needed.

Overall: TW, WHAT IS THIS? When I first lit it, it reminded me a little of the LFD Ligero maduro I smoked earlier, but the longer I smoked the more it reminded me of a JdN Dark Corojo... This was a delicious smoke that obviously had benefitted from a good long rest. If I had to guess I'd say it carries a suggested price of around $6/stick and can be picked up for around $4/stick, but I would have no complaints about paying $5 per online or $8 per at my local B&M! This would make an excellent cigar to unwind with a dark beer, at the end of the week, after a hearty dinner!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Nice review Josh!!!!

You guys all seemed to like this one which surprises me because this company catches a lot of flack. These are getting a little hard to find as I think they may have been discontinued. But they are still available if you keep your eyes open for them. Usually can be found for less than 4 bucks a stick.

Gentleman you just smoked a Gurkha Triple Ligero. I try to keep these in the humidor all the time as they are one if the better sub 4 dollar sticks out there imho.

Quote Originally Posted by teedles915 View Post
    Nice review Josh!!!!

You guys all seemed to like this one which surprises me because this company catches a lot of flack. These are getting a little hard to find as I think they may have been discontinued. But they are still available if you keep your eyes open for them. Usually can be found for less than 4 bucks a stick.

Gentleman you just smoked a Gurkha Triple Ligero. I try to keep these in the humidor all the time as they are one if the better sub 4 dollar sticks out there imho.
    Thank you sir!

NO KIDDING!?!? I've been curious about the Triple Ligero for a while, but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I will now! Other than needing one correction and one relight (yep it went out on me once too, but I attributed it to me talking to the wifey instead of smoking) it was a great cigar! Thanks TW! You're full of surprises on this series so far!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Targets locked on... Phil from Chicago's Avatar

nice to see some good reviews on a Gurkha lol

good reviews fellas! and nice concept TW, I enjoyed the thread!

Student of the Stogie Pianoman178's Avatar

*annoying little girl voice*

Josh liked a Gurkha! Josh liked a Gurkha!

Oh, if only Aaron was part of this contest...

Great reviews, fellas. I do agree that the Triple Ligero is one of the better Gurkhas. And for <$5 per stick on cbid, how can you go wrong?

This contest is/was really entertaining, TW! I hope you can do it again some time
    "It felt like kicking a puppy, but then you felt okay again because the puppy was acting like an asshole." - David_ESM

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

TW - what was the age on these sticks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast