Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Undercrown Flying Pig Review

This is a discussion on Undercrown Flying Pig Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; First impressions: Construction is perfect, minimal veins and tight seams, very solid pack, surprisingly open draw. Leather and semi-sweet cocoa ...

Pale Horse

Undercrown Flying Pig Review

First impressions: Construction is perfect, minimal veins and tight seams, very solid pack, surprisingly open draw. Leather and semi-sweet cocoa on the pre-light draw. The cut was roughly about as open as the foot.

The light: Leathery earth loaded with pepper. The foot immediately opened up as if a pencil had been jabbed into the foot and tunneled a good bit- not a pleasant start.

First third: After lighting most of the foot cap to catch up with the filler, it is smoking well again. The burn is wavy but not troublesome. Solidly medium bodied with leather and earth. A bit of pepper through the nose, gratifying thick, chewy smoke pours out as Liga Privada is known for.

Second third: The burn has much improved, much of the wavyness has gone and the initial tunneling seems to have been an isolated incident. The dominate flavor is now ultra creamy leather with semi-sweet chocolate, only a trace of pepper in the retrohale. Not an overly drastic transition except for the creaminess of it. I was admittedly irritated about the first third, but I am very much enjoying it as of now.

Final third: No major transition except for the reemergence of earth and a noticeable increase in the body from solidly medium to medium-full. The smoke remains smooth and creamy to the end.

Overall impression: As other reviewers have stated, this is not a radical departure from the regular production Undercrown vitolas. Sure it's a good smoke, but the real draw to this cigar for Liga Privada and especially Undercrown fans is the rarity of it. Only 195 boxes of 12 released to the public in Holland. Truth be told I believe that the corona gorda is the ideal vitola for this blend currently in production, but I think most of us who bought these did so mainly for collection purposes.

Bottom line, if you're looking for an Undercrown to smoke, grab a Viva. If you're looking for collectables then try to pick up a few of these, smoke a couple for your curiosity and save the other.

In case Steve Saka happens to read this review, is there any chance for an Undercrown a petite corona and/or lancero in the future?

Re: Undercrown Flying Pig Review

Now that's a tunnel! Did it feel soft when you squeezed it?

Pale Horse

Honestly I didn't even try to squeeze the tunneled area. I think what actually happened was that as it was lit, the foot expanded and opened up, allowing it to burn on the inside out. Right after taking the picture I grabbed my torch and corrected it

Puffer Fish with some spikes dayento2's Avatar

Great review! I haven't even touched any of my UC Pigs

No longer a community member.

ULTRA CREAMY?!?! That sounds like something that could make me addicted to cigars.

Alpha Puffer Fish

I would want to get a hold of 2 of these so I could smoke one and horde the other. Def on my must have list along with the other DE stuff I can't freaking find when I have $$ like the L40, Ratzilla and the A.
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Pale Horse

We might be able to work out a trade, I have several

Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Horse View Post
    We might be able to work out a trade, I have several
    heck ya! I will private message you!
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Great review!!! Going to have to get a couple if these for sure now!!!