Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Review

This is a discussion on Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; So we have been debating what these might "2nds" of in another thread, and while we may never really know ...

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Review

So we have been debating what these might "2nds" of in another thread, and while we may never really know I thought I should share my thoughts on these sticks here. We were thinking Cain, or Oliva, or some scraps off the Oliva floor, In the end I really don't care because the price was right so;

We have the Liga "F" here.
    Price paid- $1.63 ($24.50 for a mazo of 15, with free shipping from CI)
    Vitola- Robusto (closer to a Toro though, 5.75" x 50)
    Rest- NONE! (Just got them yesterday...)
    Location- Driving from Easton to Boston
    Beverage- Dunkin Donuts, cream no sugar

Upon first inspection I realized these are not true "2nds", as in they were meant to be a specific premium cigar and they just had a blemish on the wrapper. Granted that is opinion, but the wrappers don't have any spots or discolorations that I think would warrant getting the smokes kicked off the assembly line if you will. They look really nice. Anyway, whatever their back story is, lets get to the important part...

Pre-light- I gave this one a cross cut (v cut twice) and the draw was perfect. The t retro-hale was tastey as well. It lit up nice and easy with my triple torch, and I was off and running.

Taste- I noticed really early that it tasted very to a Flor de Oliva, similar but not the same, and the draw was way to nice to really compare it to a Flor de, but there was a resemblence no doubt (IMO). Now I've stated before, for whatever reason, I don't taste all the different flavors that many of you do, but I can usually pick up hints of certain things. Having said that, nothing jumped out at me flavor-wise, perhaps a touch "woody" but it was mainly just a pleasant tobacco flavor, quite flavorful as a matter of fact. What really hit me was how smoothe the retro-hale was. I usually don't blow out through my nose too much because of the burn, but this cigar was very smoothe, and losing a little through my nostrils really enhanced the taste for me.

Burn- Nearly flawless for about 50 minutes. I couldn't believe how straight the thing was burning (for a soaking wet ROTT smoke!). The ash held on as long as I wanted it to, not getting too brave seeing as they are refinishing the Highway was on and it is a little rough. The draw stayed easy, but tightened up a bit about 2/3rds in. Not too tight though, or I would have pitched it because I cant stand tight draw. At 50 minutes in the wrapper split. I wasn't really shocked seeing as these things raised the RH in my humi 5% overnight. It wasn't the end of the smoke however, as it burned by the split without completely falling apart, and only needed a mild touchup across from the split. I smoked it down to about 1.25 inches I'd guess, and that took 80 minutes.

Overall I really liked this cigar. I can tell they need to rest a while, but even ROTT it was a very enjoyable smoke. I give it Solid B as it is above average for sure, especially considering it cost under 2 bucks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Review-imag0520.jpg   Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Review-imag0523.jpg   Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Review-imag0531.jpg   Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Review-imag0534.jpg  
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Re: Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced 2nds Liga 'F' Review

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

NICE REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great Pics!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    NICE REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great Pics!
    Thanks man!
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Sweet review. I'm stoked on my #4's and I have figured out it is not an Oliva V because I smoked the V last night and it didn't. But damn, they sure looked identical. Trying to locate some Cain daytona #4's to compare.

Have you thought about getting a cain F to compare?
    Cigars for the Troops -donatecigars4troops@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by E Dogg View Post

Have you thought about getting a cain F to compare?
    Yeah, but I have to find a "good deal" lol

I must be the last customer to get mine. Saturday...8 days to get here and the suspense is killing me....Got the "F" lanceros......C'mon mang.....
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

< bump >

Thanks to James, who I must have bumped into SOMEWHERE
    I just ordered a bundle of the Liga 'F' robustos. We shall see...

They're now $27.50 for the bundle of 15, but still available with free shipping.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Funny you should post this. I smoked a 'Liga M' last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The 'M' is a strong cigar and as I understand the 'F' is a lighter smoke. Interested in hearing how you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdaddy View Post
    Funny you should post this. I smoked a 'Liga M' last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The 'M' is a strong cigar and as I understand the 'F' is a lighter smoke. Interested in hearing how you liked it.
    'M' was to be my second choice, assuming I like the 'F's. But I think the 'F' is the strongest of the bunch:

Liga ‘H’ – Full-bodied Habano. Notes of oak, spices, leather, and cocoa.

Liga ‘F’ – Extra-full-bodied Habano. Deep flavors of spice, earth, leather, and coffee. Complex and extremely robust.

Liga ‘M’ – Full-bodied Maduro. Dark and strong, complete with notes of natural sweetness, earth, dark chocolate, and spices.

Liga ‘D’ – Medium-bodied Habano. Notes of coffee and rich tobacco complemented by a slight hint of pepper and sweet undertones of the finish.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

You're right.

I smoked my maduro at a VERY slow pace. I could feel the nicotine but controlled it with small, tasty puffs. No big draws. Tread lightly my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    < bump >

Thanks to James, who I must have bumped into SOMEWHERE
    I just ordered a bundle of the Liga 'F' robustos. We shall see...

They're now $27.50 for the bundle of 15, but still available with free shipping.
    They'll let anyone in...even the scum of the earth like me...

A friend just across the San Mateo Bridge from me got some of the F Robustos and sent me one in one of our trades. Solid. It's not as strong as the lancero, but I think the thicker vitola suits it well. BTW, I found some Cain F lanceros locally and they don't taste like the LL2 F lanceros at all.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

I also picked these up on CI in churchill size. Fantastic smoke for the price. I also noted that they need some rest as well as the only problem I found was some not so nice aesthetics. All my smoker buddies agreed that it was a very pleasant daily smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
    . . . BTW, I found some Cain F lanceros locally and they don't taste like the LL2 F lanceros at all.
    I think I've only smoked one Cain (a Daytona - meh) in my life, so I'm not looking for a Cain-replacement. I'm just a big fan of Nicaraguan tobacco in general, and these certainly look worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by john_c View Post
    I also picked these up on CI in churchill size. Fantastic smoke for the price. I also noted that they need some rest as well as the only problem I found was some not so nice aesthetics. All my smoker buddies agreed that it was a very pleasant daily smoke.
    I am terrible at letting smokes rest, so I predict the LAST one of this bundle will smoke perfectly, and the first 14 will have been smoked a tad too early. We shall see.

My only negative was that the 'M' I smoked last night was very dry. It burned beautifully. When I went to poke a hole with the bullet cutter it cracked the end. I lopped the end off with the guillotine and it was good from then on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast