Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review

This is a discussion on Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; (Click image to expand) Please be merciful.. this is my first review. Yesterday I decided to smoke the only gifted ...

No longer a community member.

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review

(Click image to expand)

Please be merciful.. this is my first review.

Yesterday I decided to smoke the only gifted cigar I had from a friend. It was a Tabak Especial - Robusto Dulce from Drew Estate. I prepared the hottub while turned off to have a nice hot surrounding while not impairing the flavors because the pumps were not running. It is very rare that I get to enjoy a cigar more than once every few months so I tried to have some fun with this one. Here's how that played out.

Disclaimer: My palete is ridiculously inexperienced, so the opinions, images and review expressed here are opinionated and entirely from my own point of view.

Appearance:

Size: 5 x 54
    Shape: Robusto
    Filler: Nicaragua
    Strength: Medium-full

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-imag0279.jpg

The construction on the cigar is well.. unknown to me as I'm a newb, but I'd say that it seemed firm, had one large vein noticeable in the picture, no soft spots on any of the area, no visible damage after receiving it a week ago, though some obvious multi-coloring of the leaf can be seen on the head. I'm certain it wasn't humidified before I got it, and then only in a humidor bag for about a week as my humidor seasoned once I took hold of it. There is of particular note, a strange happening with the foot of this cigar, as it seems all of the Tabak Especial's has, and that is it looks like the front of it exploded a bit. There is also a classic style band near the head, and a bronze embossed lettering band on the foot.

Initial Impressions:

The cigar has a very overpowering scent of molasses and undercooked cocoa. As I'm not a coffee drinker and never have had such drinks, I would say that this is probably the specific scent, but the more commonly understood scent would be that of a gourmet coffee. Also of note, is that the scent seems to be quite pungent, as touching it maintains it on the skin for quite some time. It is in all aspects, an appealing yet if unbalanced smell.

Onto the smoking!

First, the locale:

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-imag0280.jpg

Now for the cigar.

First third:

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-imag0282.jpg

I attempted to toast the cigar with my Bugatti B1 torch lighter but as I'm quite new to toasting and using torch lighters I can't be certain I did it properly. That being said, while it lit quite easily, I'm certain I may have burnt it in some form, though this did not seem to impair the cigar. On what I'll call the "first draw", I received an abundance of that molasses and cocoa sensation on my tongue, which lingered on the tongue for quite some time. It was overpowering and distracted from the textures of the cigar which were harder to make out, but the draw was very smooth and easy, and smoke was plentiful with a white-milky appearance. The cigar stayed pretty much the same throughout the first third, and by end of this part of the cigar the ash fell off appearing like a golden graham cracker.

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-imag0283.jpg

Intermission:

(Rough)

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-0.jpg

While in the hot tub, a deadly killer wasp decided to drop out of the air and land in the tub, sending me scrambling around trying to get it out. It seems it was trying to tell me something that I wouldn't realize until later. It drowned and didn't even get a burial. It occurs to me that the "Wasps" might be a fun bomb group name.

Second third:

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-imag0285.jpg

So far I am not getting much from this cigar other than what was in the initial impressions. The consistency is the same, it holds on well, and the ash while a little lopsided at times appears good. As for the flavors, it has began to transition into something a bit more bitter as well as becoming hotter to smoke, though its overpowering cocoa scent remains albeit the molasses are now clearly burnt and leave a longer impression on the tongue. At this point I took off the band which came off quite easily. The second third also had an on the mark ash falling, though it was more dark gray rather than graham cracker. Also, the burn line while about as straight a path as a drunk man's car, didn't seem to cause any problems with the cigar.

Midway Impressions:

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-2930484095_5bec1b0874_z.jpg

This cigar's flavor profile reminds me of french kissing a camel, specifically one that has had water recently. Speaking of water, that happens to be the drink I'm using to keep my palette (which sucks) fresh, but at the same time it is because of the monolithic amount of saliva this cigar seems to elicit.

Intermission:

The killer wasp's friend showed up. It looked at me menacingly knowing that I'd only be able to share it with terrible out of focus long distance photos. Strangely enough it avoided its fallen friend's fate and also avoided the corpse.

Final Third:

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-imag0288.jpg

The burn line remains quite bumpy and a small piece in the center of what remains of this cigar is now tearing off the wrapper. The scent is beginning to finally wane and become less intense, while the cigar itself has become increasingly hot and a new tone of vanilla has entered the fray it seems, unfortunately this cigar is simply too short to allow for that and the burnt molasses and now overcooked and burnt cocoa flavors are overpowering the cigars last (and really only) trick. By now it has become incredibly soft and has been smoked to what I would call the "nub" and further smoking will just continue to burn my tongue so I will set this down now.

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-imag0291.jpg

Conclusion:

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-camel.gif

This cigar in itself is the worst I've ever smoked (incase you couldn't tell I didn't like it), and that's saying something as I once had an Alec Bradley M23 (or 32 or w/e) Family Blend that literally tasted like I was chewing on raw meat. Which is not the type of flavor I seek in a cigar. As I put earlier, I am not a coffee drinker nor have I even tried it, but if this is what coffee is like then count me out. While I'm certain some people will like this cigar as the reviews on other sites seem to tout it as the gift from heaven, it isn't something I could recommend to anyone that wasn't fond of coffee or at the least, a camel's tongue in your mouth sloshing away and writhing around.

I don't get how people rate things well even though they hate it, since just because the construction is good (this cigar has good construction), the burn is okay (the burn is okay), it looks good (sure why not), and it didn't explode on you (it looked like it though), it somehow gets an 80 despite them saying "I didn't like it".

So my rating is a 5/10, it get a D as it probably isn't worthy of the worst cigar in existence award, and I would NOT have this again unless I were bribed (yes I am bribable). That being said, this cigar seriously makes me consider not having another cigar ever again for the potential of it being as bad as this. Not a good first starter stick or starter stick at all. Give this to your enemy, then tell him not to smoke it, make him your ally.

TL;DR:

Like gourmet coffee? Try this cigar.
    Not a fan of coffee or haven't tried it? Don't try this cigar.
    Have this cigar and don't want to toss it? Have this cigar before one you really like, to appreciate it that much more --allow 30 minutes to clear the overpowering scent from your mouth and wash your hands or you'll smell it forever.
    Camel's mouth, french kissing, killer wasps drowning, menacing stares, barbecue chips.

P.S.

Instead of having ketchup chips like some people on chat would have you like, I cleared my mouth of this taste prior to tooth brushing and powerful toothpaste with an entire can of STAX, eaten in about 1 minute.

Sorry my post is long this is my first review, I wanted to be detailed and specific so as to give me a better chance of winning the newb review contest or at the least making one note worthy.

P.P.S.

Since it was said boobs add's points and it was mentioned... here are the "pizza" boobs.

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/f...izza-boobs.jpg

--- David.

Re: Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review

Lmao.... Funny review dude. I really enjoyed it. Not hating on all you camel lovers but dang dude.... Couldnt find a better analogy? What you do with camels at home is your business bro. And thanks for the pizza boobie let down... I was so excited to see some fun bags! Rg to ya.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaysalti's Avatar

Great job, David! I laughed, I cried, I crossed a cigar off my wish list. Excellent write-up! Sorry it was a bum experience, but appreciate the warning. Camel French kissing, death by wasp and pizza teets... You got it all!
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

Alpha Puffer Fish

Funny review, too bad about not liking the stick. I used to like them quite a lot when I first started smoking but that was when friends were handing me their cast offs (gurkha, rocky patel, acids, tebak, whatever they didn't like or didnt want to smoke anymore). Then I tried a Liga #9 and my desire for infused went right out the door. Funny, both are DE cigars.
    It is a great stick for noobs starting out, kind of an easy smoke for non-cigar smokers to digest. I figure as a novice cigar smoker, you start with either Acid line, move to the Tebak line, then the Natural line and finally the Liga Line. Drew Estate covers all the bases like NOBODY else in the biz. So it wasn't your bag, no big. Plenty of people do like it. So go with the old motto: Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
    I would definitely read a review of yours again, your good for a laugh for sure....
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Just as an indicator, a camels tongue isn't an analogy but an actual comparison to what this tastes like.

I was actually trying to go for informative rather than funny. Seems I missed that mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Draepheus View Post
    Just as an indicator, a camels tongue isn't an analogy but an actual comparison to what this tastes like.

I was actually trying to go for informative rather than funny. Seems I missed that mark.
    Does not matter what you were trying to do, that sh*t was hilarious!

I must say that I am a little disturbed that you can differentiate between kissing a hydrated camel and a dehydrated one, but nice review!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Thank you for reading my review. I know it won't meet with everyone's favor but I tried.

If you liked it, please vote here in the noob review contest.

-- http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...ll-1641-a.html --

If anyone has any suggestions for a future review if I do one, I'd appreciate them. It doesn't seem my review was all that popular in the long run.

Well, I tried. If anyone still wants to vote for me.. I'd appreciate it.

I still have a chance to win if I can get 9 or more voters. Surely someone can pity my review? Lol <.<

Quote Originally Posted by Draepheus View Post
    If anyone has any suggestions for a future review if I do one, I'd appreciate them. It doesn't seem my review was all that popular in the long run.
    Don't feel bad Dave, your choice of smokes may have affected the outcome.. those flavor infused sticks are rather a niche market and don't seem to get much acclaim in the general cigar smoking community. To each their own though of course. Maybe you could do a review on a standard classic, something more popular and commonly smoked but not reviewed in here recently. I won't do your homework for you, but you get my drift. Honestly, I smoked a Tabak Especial one time and couldn't get past the second or third puff, just too much perfume for me. But some guys like to smoke perfume, and that's ok. Just not my thing. I still have a second one, because I always try new sticks in pairs. I will never light it up. Maybe you will find it on your own doorstep one day.. lol!

On the bright side, I think you can rest assured that you will never receive anything close to this much ridicule for your next review, no matter how bad it is....... :P

I'm making a comeback that no one expected, and I need your support! Please support me so I can review a good selection of quality cigars in the future!

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...tion-vote.html

I'd like to win, I never win anything, and I'm the rising under dog! It's a great choice

You are doing WHAT under the dog?? :0

abe

Midway Impressions:

Tabak Especial Robusto Dulce Review-2930484095_5bec1b0874_z.jpg

This cigar's flavor profile reminds me of french kissing a camel....

I maintain my original statement...thumbnails tell an interesting story lol
    "My Parents told me I could be anything I wanted, so I became an asshole "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast