Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Man O' War Virtue Toro Review

This is a discussion on Man O' War Virtue Toro Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I have really been slacking on getting reviews out. I had been saving this cigar for a quiet morning to ...

Full grown Puffer Fish zenbamboo's Avatar

Man O' War Virtue Toro Review

I have really been slacking on getting reviews out. I had been saving this cigar for a quiet morning to sip with my coffee. Gojohnnygo bombed me with this and several other cigars a few weeks back and I was saving this one for a weekend morning. I have not tried any of the Man O' War line from Cigars International despite seeing them advertised heavily for the last couple of years. Maybe it is just me, but it seems as though a lot of the milder cigars get looked down upon on a lot of internet forums. My tastes are all over the place and I find that every cigar has its time and place. I freely admit that I mostly have full strength/full body cigars in my collection, but I have been known to go on a mild cigar binge every now and then. This cigar was a welcome change of pace for me.

Appearance: The toro was draped in a very thin, but velvety Connecticut wrapper. Very few veins on it. The head was well capped and the stick was nice and firm. No soft spots.

Aroma/Taste: The wrapper had a nice hay scent to it. The foot was even more so and had a strong barnyard scent that seemed to go along with the hay. The head clipped neatly and the cold draw was of toast. After lighting up the first few puffs gave the aroma of the barnyard scent earlier but quickly transitioned to a roasted nuts and toasted bread flavor and scent. At times it was as if I had a bowl of cashews next to me. It went quite well with my coffee. The cigar burned razor straight for nearly an hour and it wasn't until the last 1/4 where the flavor profile changed and became rather oaky and tannic. The wonderful roasted nuts flavor was gone and I did my best to really slow down between puffs on this one, but the flavors never came back. All in all and excellent example of a mild cigar. Any of my casual cigar smoking friends would love it. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy a box of it, but I would definitely like to keep a few of these around in my humidor.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. -- President Ronald Reagan

No longer a community member.

Re: Man O' War Virtue Toro Review

Nice review Scott. I have one from the same batch I'll bet (John gets around, apparently) and I have a better idea on when to plan the smokin of it now. I enjoy a cigar just like this one sounds when I've overdone my palate with heavier offerings. I usually always have a ten pack of something light to help me clean the palate, this may be just the thing. Thanks for sharing your opinion of the Virtue.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jurgenph's Avatar

the virtue is a very flavorful mild smoke. i recently stocked up on these myself

J.

No longer a community member.

Thank's for the review. I'm not so sure about this cigar now. I wanted to try it because I heard it was very creamy and a great "gets you addicted to cigars" type stick, or "interested" at the least. But hay and barn yard and those very basic and trivial flavors (to my mind) are not what I was hearing or expecting.

Maybe it needs age? Not sure.

Puffer Fish with some spikes cool hand luke's Avatar

i have a few in my humidor. for me it"s a nice after breakfast cigar. Also when somebody stops by and is new to cigars I have offered up one of these because i feel it would give them a good impression of cigars. I prefer a med. to full body cigar, but I had no issues with the MOW Virtue.