Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Swag Torpedo Review

This is a discussion on Swag Torpedo Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I have been smoking these fairly regularly every since they came out nearly two years ago. It is a Dominican ...

Full grown Puffer Fish zenbamboo's Avatar

Swag Torpedo Review

I have been smoking these fairly regularly every since they came out nearly two years ago. It is a Dominican puro, but not only that, it is a Domincan Ligero puro . That got my attention. They advertise it as "not your father's Dominican cigar". Indeed. I knew that they were trying to market to young hip urban smokers (and originally I heard they were trying to market to hard core rappers). So the name is a little off putting to some. Still, I care more about what the cigar actually tastes like than any marketing hype. Just the word SWAG gets a negative image in many circles. But for someone with an adventurous palate and a weakness for ligero laced cigars, I had to give it a shot.

Appearance: The wrapper had a rusty brown appearance. Not a maduro by a long shot in terms of color. The hue to the wrapper was a little uneven and I notived the head was a little darker than the rest of the wrapper. Very well done cap. Early releases of this cigar had lots of small patches on the wrapper, but that seems to be a thing of the past. You can tell this is a good quality wrapper, and except for the color variance from one end to the other, it has minimal veins and a silky smooth sheen.

Aroma/Taste: The wrapper doesn't smell like much to me. Maybe an old cookie tin. The scent is muted. The foot is bursting with a spicy aroma though with an inviting mix of nutmeg and dark rich earth. The head was clipped cleanly with a lovely draw that was a little looser than I would like, but by no means like sucking on air. The prelight taste was slightly peppery on the lips and the taste was of baking spices. On light up I got less of the baking spice and the flavors mingled with cedar and light notes of coffee. The burn was uneven at times but a few minor touch ups corrected it easily. the ash held on very well, lasting more than an inch each time before I gently tapped it off. The flavors held up quite well even in the last third, but the flavor had more of a cedar and nuts profile at that point.

I have found that when I am not in the mood for a cigar that is bold and neither one that is mild, that this one suits me well. A good cigar with lots of flavor at a good price point (MSRP ~$6) and I have bought plenty. In fact I am down to my last 4 with more than a year of age on them and recently bought more to replenish my dwindling stock.

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. -- President Ronald Reagan

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Re: Swag Torpedo Review

Good review, but can you be more specific about the flavors you got from the cigar, or is it just cedar, coffee and nuts?

i ask this because I am a HUGE Oliveros fan...don't know why their cigars don't get more respect. Oh well, more for me lol.

I have actually smoked most of their stuff, but I have not had Swag and Aging Room. I wanted to compare their flavor profiles to the other cigars they make.

Have you had the King Havano? I can't believe I have been getting those suckers for a buck and change off c-bid. Rest those suckers and they are just as good as any cigar touted as "premium". Love the construction.

The King Havano Claro really shines after a year or so of rest--hands down, one of the better cigars I've had, period.
    The Maduro is money too.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

The SWAG brands are money given enough rest - six months minimum. I got a ten pack of the toros and was not impressed with them out of the gate, but having recently smoked one with about 8 months of rest, it was fantastic. Great woodsy/spicy/coffee from stem to stern with some grassy creamy notes in the last third. Strong as hell and with some of the same notes as a young Opus X. I know that's saying a lot, but I was actually beside myself at how good these were after ignoring them for a while. It would seem that the tobaccos are quality tobaccos that will always be good given the time to show their nature.

So yes, Manny, get some of these in any vitola as cheap as you can and sit on them for a while. I'm looking to get some of the smaller RG coronas and lanceros for comparison. I have a feeling they will also be as good or better than the toro.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

I have recently gotten a fiver of the SWAG Robusto and a few loose sticks of their new new line SWAG SoBe in the toro. I have been planning to spark one of the SWAG Robustos having dry boxed one since I received them a couple of weeks back. Maybe I will hold off for the time being.

To be honest, I have been game to try the SWAG brand since their release. The thought of a Dominican puro ala Opus X has always intrigued me. Not many Dominican puros in the market.
    A lot of problems in the world can be solved if everyone takes the time to relax and have a cigar.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
    The SWAG brands are money given enough rest - six months minimum. I got a ten pack of the toros and was not impressed with them out of the gate, but having recently smoked one with about 8 months of rest, it was fantastic. Great woodsy/spicy/coffee from stem to stern with some grassy creamy notes in the last third. Strong as hell and with some of the same notes as a young Opus X. I know that's saying a lot, but I was actually beside myself at how good these were after ignoring them for a while. It would seem that the tobaccos are quality tobaccos that will always be good given the time to show their nature.

So yes, Manny, get some of these in any vitola as cheap as you can and sit on them for a while. I'm looking to get some of the smaller RG coronas and lanceros for comparison. I have a feeling they will also be as good or better than the toro.
    I am on it.

Again, I don't know why Oliveros doesn't get more respect.

I will purchase them soon so that I will have some great summer smokes for 2013.
    Last edited by BKDW; 10-07-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron