Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review

This is a discussion on La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes slap1914's Avatar

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review

[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]Welcome to my entry for the October's Noob Review Contest.

I decided to review the La Casita Criolla by Tatuaje. I've never tried this cigar before but I tend to like the Tatuaje brand. The cigar I reviewed was a short Churchill, sized 6 1/2 x 48.

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-29_00-00-40_345.jpg

I'm new to the cigar world but I've been a beer geek for a while. I've decided to pair my cigar with a good craft beer. Here are four candidates from my stash. Bitch's Brew by Dogfish Head, Curieux by Allagash, Homebrewed IPA from a buddy, Oak Aged Chocolate Yeti by Great Divide.

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-28_23-46-48_408.jpgLa Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-28_23-47-09_882.jpg

The Yeti is the only one of the four that I haven't tried so it's the Winner!

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-29_00-05-40_85.jpg

Pre draw: Smells like a cigar. I won't even pretend like my nose is good enough to pick flavors from an unlit cigar.

I've decided to attempt the three match method to light my cigar. I don't want any of those pesky butane fumes to taint my noob palate. I managed to get the cigar lit with four matches. Next I choose to use a v cut to clip the head.

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-29_00-07-47_186.jpg

I took notes as I smoked the cigar.

First pull (00:00)
    Very easy draw with the v cut. Moderate smokes of white smoke. The smell of something very fresh hits my nose. Something green, like grass. The first pull is very smooth no harness at all. Very little after taste.

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-29_00-17-46_336.jpg

(00:10)
    The burn line is a bit uneven but thatís thatís probably my fault. The cigar is still smooth and but that grassy smell is either getting stronger or more complex. To my palate the cigar is medium bodied and a little complex in flavor.
    I also take my first sip of beer and a pull on the cigar. Iíve intentionally started with this beer a little colder than it should be. I know that the flavors will change as it warms up. The beer is dark and full of malty sweetness. Very smooth with no alcohol burn. This might not be the best pairing with this cigar. Maybe with a more full bodied cigar.

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-29_00-18-03_544.jpg

(00:15)
    The cigar is changing. The grass is still there but Iím smelling burning wood. Like a fireplace. Iím beginning to taste a little pepper in the cigar. The complexity of flavors is building. The smoke is still smooth but very flavorful I know Iím smoking a Tatuaje now.
    (00:30)
    Finished my first glass of beer. This second pour is just right. Not too cold. This time I change the order. I take a sip of beer and then pull the cigar. Whoa! #### That was fantastic. The beer has changed. The oak is really strong and here is a bit of burn on the finish. Then going right to the cigar I tasted a more of the pepper. This is cigar is far from spicy but the beer pulled that out. Iím also getting a bit of a sweet aftertaste on the cigar. Not overly candy like an Acid but just a hint of honey.

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-1.jpg

(00:45)
    I take back what I said earlier. These two compliment each other. The cigar has the fresh grass, burning wood flavor and the beer as the strong dark oak. Neither is overpowering the other

(1:00)
    I forgot I was doing this review. I have my feet up, sipping beer and enjoying this cigar. Nicotine and alcohol are flowing. Cheers to an hour of the good life!

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-29_01-11-31_587.jpg

(1:15)
    Pretty close to the nub now. The cigar is burning a bit hot but the taste is still fine. This cigar was smooth start to finish. The flavors picked up in the second third and stayed through the end. Very easy draw.

La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review-2012-09-29_01-29-36_950.jpg

No longer a community member.

Re: La Casita Criolla Short Churchill Review

You enjoyed it, that's what matters. Good job.

That's a pretty cool ashtray too.

"I forgot I was doing this review. I have my feet up, sipping beer and enjoying this cigar."

Hard to find a better recommendation for a cigar than this.

Grassiness, eh? Have to pick some of these up - I like that in a cigar.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Maturing Puffer Fish

Thanks for the review. I've got one of these resting in the humidor, courtesy of Bazookajoe8 -- will be my first Tat.

Good job on the review. The beer sounded like a good combo! RG to ya!

Nice review. I've found people either really like or dislike that cigar. Being made of all broadleaf from the US, it is a very unique cigar and one that I enjoy.

The Oak Aged Chocolat Yeti is quite delicious if I remember correctly. Looking at your pics of it gets me really excited for Surly Darkness Day coming up at the end of this month - a RIS with a similar big carmel/tan head.

Quote Originally Posted by mpls View Post
    Nice review. I've found people either really like or dislike that cigar. Being made of all broadleaf from the US, it is a very unique cigar and one that I enjoy.

The Oak Aged Chocolat Yeti is quite delicious if I remember correctly. Looking at your pics of it gets me really excited for Surly Darkness Day coming up at the end of this month - a RIS with a similar big carmel/tan head.
    I'm extremely jealous that you can obtain beer from Surly. They came to a beer fest in Boston years ago. I can still taste their coffee infused beer. So delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by slap1914 View Post
    I'm extremely jealous that you can obtain beer from Surly. They came to a beer fest in Boston years ago. I can still taste their coffee infused beer. So delicious!
    Probably partially due to a biased opinion, they're my favorite brewery. However 3 Floyd's, Stone, Bell's, and Dogfish Head aren't too far behind. I'll shoot you a pm to see if you'd like to try any of Surly's stuff...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaysalti's Avatar

Well done! Never heard of Surly or tried Great Divide, which is sad as I too enjoy the suds. I can grab GD locally (i believe) but never seen the other. I agree that it's hard to find a better recommendation than putting the feet up and just drifting into the moment. Great job!
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

The contest is still going on. You can vote here http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...tion-vote.html

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Feldenak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slap1914 View Post
    [SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    (1:00)
    I forgot I was doing this review. I have my feet up, sipping beer and enjoying this cigar. Nicotine and alcohol are flowing.
    LOL! You sound like me. I'll start out with a new cigar with full intentions of taking some notes on taste, draw, burn, etc... and about halfway through the cigar I'll realize I've stopped taking notes and am simply enjoying my time with a cigar in 1 hand, drink in the other and my feet kicked up on the deck railing. Then my notes consist of "Buy it again. Delicious."

RG for you my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldenak View Post
    LOL! You sound like me. I'll start out with a new cigar with full intentions of taking some notes on taste, draw, burn, etc... and about halfway through the cigar I'll realize I've stopped taking notes and am simply enjoying my time with a cigar in 1 hand, drink in the other and my feet kicked up on the deck railing. Then my notes consist of "Buy it again. Delicious."

RG for you my friend.
    Thanks!

No longer a community member.

In all seriousness, this is a great entry in the noob review contest. After all, the point of all of our smoking is to get enjoyment out of it, and you've done a fine job of conveying this to your readers. Thanks for putting this up.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Thanks for the great review.

Alpha Puffer Fish

Good job Slap - I've been bidding on these but no luck yet - there must be something there!

One tiny bit of constructive criticism of the review - you did the play by play well - but you sort of skipped the game recap.
    The part where you sum up the overall experience - how you would rate the cigar - would you recommend I should buy one...

(the part where you put up your feet and smoked - that's enough for me - when I zone out, then snap out of it 5 minutes later - hell that's when I know something good is going on!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast