Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Esencia Lancero (by Palio) Review

This is a discussion on Esencia Lancero (by Palio) Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; A while back I had an issue with my Palio cutter, and Marc Aub, President and CEO of BOTL LLC ...

Pale Horse

Esencia Lancero (by Palio) Review

A while back I had an issue with my Palio cutter, and Marc Aub, President and CEO of BOTL LLC took excellent care of me, and even gifted me a couple of their cigars, the Esencia lancero, and the pre-release Esencia "E"

After searching, I found that P&C carries them and had this to say about them:

"Esencia Cigars (by Palio) are a collection of hearty Nicaraguan puros (all the tobacco is grown in Nicaragua) using Cuban seed corojo and criollo tobaccos. These medium/full-bodied beauties have a gorgeous coffee colored wrapper with fine veins and a slight oily sheen, This is a Nicaraguan that shares the earthy/cocoa/spice with a hint of sweetness with many of Pepin Garcia and Oliva's offerings. If you want a lot of flavor without a harsh edge, Esencia is for you!" Esencia Cigars by Palio

I hadn't heard of Esencia before and wasn't aware that BOTL made anything other than cigar accessories, and I have been dying to light them up since I received them.

Construction: Superb; very minimal veins, tight seams, beautiful triple cap and perfect draw.

First third: Medium bodied, flavors of cedar with a long earthy finish and a trace amount of spice through the nose. The burn is impressively straight, razor sharp. The smoke is plentiful, very thick and chewy.

Second third: Still medium bodied, the main flavor shifts to cedar with baker's chocolate, still with the long earthy finish. The spice on the retrohale picks up slightly, but is still only a playful amount, nowhere close to overpowering. The burn and draw remain absolutely flawless.

Final third: Flavor shifts to earth and baker's chocolate with cedar in the finish now, still medium bodied. Still not overly spicy on the retrohale, but again it has noticeably increased. The draw and burn remain perfect to the end.

Overall: Without a doubt, this is probably the best cigar that you've never heard of (I hadn't anyway). I really can't go on about how great it was, everything about this cigar was top-notch. Flavorful and complex without overpowering, nice transitions, beautiful construction and perfect burn and draw. Bottom line, this is a cigar that I will be purchasing myself and one that I will readily recommend any B/SOTL.

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

Re: Esencia Lancero (by Palio) Review

Nice review!

Do you know the MSRP on these sticks and who has them?

Pale Horse

P&C has them, I posted the link in the OP. Esencia Cigars On Sale at The Cigar Hut and Esencia - Cigar Place are a couple other links I found. I believe that the lancero was never released for retail, a shame, so I'm leaning towards the petite corona

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Horse View Post
    P&C has them, I posted the link in the OP. Esencia Cigars On Sale at The Cigar Hut and Esencia - Cigar Place are a couple other links I found. I believe that the lancero was never released for retail, a shame, so I'm leaning towards the petite corona
    Thanks for the review Aaron! Glad you enjoyed the Esencia, but for clarification it was a churchill, as is the "E" we sent. You are correct that the lancero was not released in regular production, but is still available in a gift set.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am a monster and those of you responsible know who you are !!!, but thanks for doing it

AGANORSA Aficionado Hemingway in Havana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpusEx View Post
    You are correct that the lancero was not released in regular production, but is still available in a gift set.
    Please let me know where I can find this Gift Set! I'm drooling on my keyboard looking at that pic! I've had the Corona Gorda before & it was a great cigar.
    Berle:"You're smoking one of those Lawrence Welk cigars." Burns:"What's a Lawrence Welk cigar?" Berle: "A piece of sh!t with a band around it!"

Pale Horse

Quote Originally Posted by OpusEx View Post
    Thanks for the review Aaron! Glad you enjoyed the Esencia, but for clarification it was a churchill, as is the "E" we sent. You are correct that the lancero was not released in regular production, but is still available in a gift set.
    Ah darn, I didn't even think to look up the vitola measurements, I figured the RG was on the bigger side for a lancero, but not too big to fit the category lol. Thank you very much for the amazing smoke
    Last edited by Pale Horse; 10-15-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Alpha Puffer Fish

Great review, shame I can't find and try one. More importantly, cool ashtray and great koozie! TEXAS!!! hook em!!
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Great review, Aaron! That sounds like a great smoke and the gift set is awesome!

If anyone finds the set for sale please post a link.
    Hangin' out with Friends