Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2004 Fuente Anejo no.77 SSS Shark

This is a discussion on 2004 Fuente Anejo no.77 SSS Shark within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Manufacturer: Arturo Fuente Brand: Anejo Vitola: "The First Round to Square", the Shark. Wrapper: Dominican sherry barrel-cured maduro Binder: Dominican ...

Disinterested

2004 Fuente Anejo no.77 SSS Shark

Manufacturer: Arturo Fuente
    Brand: Anejo
    Vitola: "The First Round to Square", the Shark.
    Wrapper: Dominican sherry barrel-cured maduro
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican
    Body: Full
    Strength: Mild-Medium
    Flavor: Excellent
    Construction: Excellent
    Draw: Medium
    Vintage: 11/2004
    Price: MSRP=$15. This vintage; priceless!
    Overall experience: Singular
    Recommend: YES

Prelight Impressions

With only four remaining examples in my collection of the 2004 Arturo Fuente Xtra Viejo Reserva Anejo Limitada SSS no77 Shark, I inspected this specimen carefully. The originally very dark maduro wrapper has lightened a bit, but has seemed to retain it's oily sheen. Having been stored for the past eight years at 65% humidity and between 61 to 67 degrees F, it's enjoyed a relatively gentle life.

There's a good deal of "heft" to this smoke, in the hand. It just feels heavier than it looks. To the hand, the wrapper feels very silky and smooth and with the weight, feels rather like handling a .50 caliber cartridge.

Prelight nose doesn't really render much, be it a fresh Anejo, or something of this vintage. All you smell is nutty tobacco with a gentle hint of cocoa.

First Third

After a Dickson cut to the head, I was somewhat surprised at how stout was the draw. It's smooth, but takes some effort. Fuente tuck a LOT of tobacco into this vitola, which will always make you have to work a little. Of course, the effort is MORE than worth it.

The 2004 vintage of this cigar is generally respected by aficionados, but this year's release is also spectacular. Thankfully, I was fortunate enough to obtain a box of this season's release, enabling me to compare, "fresh to aged".

As is expected, a GREAT Anejo Shark is like smoking the best German chocolate cake ever! The beginnings of this cigar are "all that", but much more subtle.

Second Third

They must plan ashing at Fuente, because as soon as I made it through the first third, took the pic and began tugging into the second, the ash plopped. Ash plop is something I dislike immensely, but somehow, with an Anejo Shark, any issues tend to get overlooked.

Typically, the second third of any cigar will see flavors intensifying and strength building. Not so with this Shark. It's remaining very smooth, medium-mild, but delivering wonderful notes of chocolate and Brazil nut.

What's really different with this vintage, as opposed to a fresh Anejo Shark, is the way the flavors are delivered. There are distinctive leading and trailing edges to each flavor note. For example, there's a certain "breadiness" to the chocolate note and something very buttery preceding each draw. The buttery tone both precedes and "waves goodbye" to each puff series.

This is "Cigar Greatness".

Final Third

Somewhere in the final moments of the Second Third, flavors did indeed begin to intensify. Funny thing is, it doesn't seem due to the typical build up of tars and nicotine, which typically condense as you move backward in a cigar. Now, into the final portion, this delightful stick just seems to give you more of what it originally promised; lots of quality, lots of chocolate, lots of vanilla, lots of thick, palette-bathing oiliness. I suppose, if Dove made chocolate syrup and you made it with heavy cream and could find a way to smoke it, you'd get this cigar.

Conclusion

There are a few advantages to being old and being a mild collector of "Hard-to-Find", or "rare" cigars. If you live long enough and aquire enough of them, some of them tend to get old. When these things converge, every once in a great while, you get to experience something really special. So, if you get a chance to get a handful of extraordinary quality Anejos, set them back and ignore them for 8-10ys.

Trust me, it's WELL worth it.
    Last edited by Herf N Turf; 12-17-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Re: 2004 Fuente Anejo no.77 SSS Shark

Sounds fantastic Don....I ave some 46 s from 06 and 07 but no sharks. Glad u enjoyed.

loved the review.... i have tucked a few from 2010 to the bottom of the pile hoping to forget about them for that long...however the likelyhood that these stay hidden rests solely on whether or not i can come across new releases...which isnt that hard to do, hard, but not impossible.
    you should see a dr for erections lasting longer than 4 hours, does that apply to e-peens as well?

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Fantastic review! Thank you for sharing!
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

Maturing Puffer Fish Phreebooter's Avatar

Awesome. Talk about an exercise in patience!

Great review and pictures!
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

Ah... i've yet to try a shark... but from what I've read, it seems like it should be on my to do list!
    Walter Corder RN, BSN

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish pittjitsu's Avatar

Great review.. I just got up and checked on my 6 I have tucked away. ( they where sleeping)

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Don, very good review to one of my favorite NC sticks. I couldn't agree more on letting them rest. You will be rewarded for your patients.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Don, thank you for reviewing this particular vintage of an Anejo Shark. I have my first and new release resting that I purchased specifically to toast this year's end and ring in the new year. Can't wait!
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Puffer Fish with some spikes VAcigars's Avatar

Thanks for the review, I'm hoping I can let mine rest for that long

Anyone have an idea of when you start to hit the point of diminishing returns or when this cigar no longer benefits from additional age?

EDIT: correction, I'm hoping I can let some of mine rest for that long
    Last edited by VAcigars; 12-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Great review! Now I just have to wait another 7 years on the handful I picked up last year

Disinterested

As I mentioned above, this year's release is nothing short of spectacular. IMO, the best since '07. Since the cigar's only been out 10yrs, it's hard to tell when they'll be all done. I would imagine that the OR's are pretty close, though. This one had lost about half it's strength, maybe.

I don't think I'm going to age this year's release, though. They're just so damn good fresh. Then again, if they go sick in a month, I may.

Great review Don.
    I picked up a box earlier this year and you are right. they are fantastic.
    But after reading the review I am torn between smoke em or rest them... LOL
    Maybe a bit of both.
    Cheers

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Great review! I recently picked up a box (beginning of the month) and have been super fortunate t have received two sharks in bombs. I have yet to try one yet. I will have to set aside some time where I can really relax and enjoy one out of the bc and then pack some up to hide!

Thanks again for the review.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast