Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

CroMagnon Aquitaine by RoMa Craft Tobac: Review

This is a discussion on CroMagnon Aquitaine by RoMa Craft Tobac: Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

CroMagnon Aquitaine by RoMa Craft Tobac: Review

CroMagnon Aquitaine Ė Review

Manufacturer: RoMa Craft Tobac
    Brand: CroMagnon Aquitaine
    Vitola: Mandible (Petit Gordo [4.5 x 60])
    Wrapper: Ecuador Habano Ligero
    Filler: Nicaraguan (leaves from Esteli, Condega, and a small farm north of Esteli on the Honduran border) with a Cameroon binder
    Price Paid: $7.60
    Smoking conditions: Outdoors. 45 degrees F. Light breeze.

Appearance/Aroma
    : Beautiful thick dark brown wrapper with a reddish tint and just a little tooth. Nice tight seams and well-made triple cap. There is one small hole in the wrapper that I hoped wouldnít affect the burn but ultimately did. Pre-light aroma is of barnyard with a little sweet tobacco. Pre-light draw is of faint tobacco and little smoke.

Construction/Burn: Firm pack with no soft spots, heavy in the hand. The burn was wonky for the first half. The wrapper on the side with the small hole didnít want to burn and so, I had to touch it up a few times. Once the burn got past the hole in the wrapper, it evened-up and burned well the rest of the way. The ash held strong and only fell twice, each time in a large chunk. Perfect draw throughout the smoke.

First 1/3 (Flavor/Body/Strength): Right from the start the cigar delivers rich tobacco and leather flavors with a pepper zing, particularly on the finish. Finish is long on the tongue and across the roof of the mouth. Also get a little cedar and black coffee notes as I reach the end of the first third. Smoke is rich and thick and Iím getting a bit of nicotine kick. Iíd call this full bodied and medium-full strength.

Second 1/3
    : Still getting rich dark tobacco and leather but in the second third, I get an oily/fatty flavor and texture on the draw. Itís reminiscent of salt-cured meat, almost a smoky prosciutto ham. Iíve never had this flavor before in a cigar and I love it. Iím also getting a little bit of baking spice or clove on the finish, just a perfect match with the smoky meaty flavors. Full body and medium to full strength.

Final 1/3: In the final third, black coffee moves more to the forefront, with both bitter and sweet notes coming and going on the draw. The rich leather and tobacco core is definitely still there and still getting that fatty texture. Still a full/medium-full cigar. When Iím done, I want another one.

Smoking Time: 80 minutes

Conclusion: Iím impressed. Iíve heard good things about this cigar, so Iím not surprised that I liked it. But I am surprised by a couple of things. 1) Iím surprised that the burn was wonky. Iíve heard great things about the RoMa Craft construction. Iíve got several more of their sticks resting. So, Iíll see if this one was just a fluke. 2) Iíve never tasted such a strong fatty meaty flavor in a cigar before. And it wasnít just a hint of it. It came through from the end of the first third through the final third. I loved this flavor combined with a dense tobacco and leather core. Nice compliments of coffee and pepper on the tongue. Just a great combination.

Recommend: I would recommend this cigar to anyone that likes full-bodied cigars, big flavors, and a little nicotine kick. Iíll definitely be buying/smoking more.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Re: CroMagnon Aquitaine by RoMa Craft Tobac: Review

Very nice review and pictures Brian. The first picture shows a foot that looks green. I am sure is the angle but kind of weird looking. I definitively need to try one as I like full flavor cigars.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Great review Brian... The EMH is my fave in this line. The Mandible, although very enjoyable, is my least favorite in the 5 Vitolas. This opinion is pretty much shared by a lot of guys. I'd recommend you give the others a shot too since you enjoyed this one. They only get better from here!
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Jose - Yeah, it does look green in the picture but it's not. Kinda golden brown. Even my skin looks a little sickly in that pic compared to the others. Musta been the lighting.

Jason - Great. Thanks. I got the samplers of CroMag, Aquitaine, and the Intemperance lines; so I'd be able to try a variety of vitolas. Glad to hear the others will be at least as good as this.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Puffer Fish with many spikes nfusion770's Avatar

Nice review Brian. I have been reluctant to try one of these, waiting for them dry out a bit. I suppose it's getting to be that time.
    He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

Quote Originally Posted by B-daddy View Post
    Jose - Yeah, it does look green in the picture but it's not. Kinda golden brown. Even my skin looks a little sickly in that pic compared to the others. Musta been the lighting.

Jason - Great. Thanks. I got the samplers of CroMag, Aquitaine, and the Intemperance lines; so I'd be able to try a variety of vitolas. Glad to hear the others will be at least as good as this.
    What's your update on the CroMag, Aquitaine, and the Intemperance lines?
    Thanks
    There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar