Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

E.P. Carrillo New Wave Brillantes

This is a discussion on E.P. Carrillo New Wave Brillantes within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Size: 5.0" x 50 Wrapper: Ecuador Connecticut Binder: Nicaragua Filler: Nicaragua, Dominican I paired this cigar with a moderately priced ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

E.P. Carrillo New Wave Brillantes

Size: 5.0" x 50
    Wrapper: Ecuador Connecticut
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua, Dominican

I paired this cigar with a moderately priced 12-year single malt.

Pre-light: This cigar has a nice honey-brown wrapper with very small veins, overall smooth but not perfectly straight. It's well packed with a little bit of give and aromas of sweet hay. The pre-light draw has flavors that remind me of dried fruit.

I had no burning issues with this cigar. The draw was occasionally a little tight, but overall fine. I had a small issue with part of the wrapper coming undone, but it fixed itself quickly.

Name:  epc.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  54.7 KB
    Tasting notes: My first draws were deliciously woody and nutty with a hint of spice on the finish. The spice built up over the first third, with a savory fruit taste on retrohale. The spiciness gradually faded as the smoke became creamy, smooth, and earthy. As I passed the halfway point, I began to notice an additional flavor that was really hard for me to figure out -- at times it was like a slightly green banana, and at other times it even had a wasabi-like tingle on my tongue. As the earthiness gradually faded, that mysterious flavor took on a roasted garlic quality as the spiciness returned with a good amount of black pepper. I smoked this one to the nub and was very sad when I finally had to put it down. After my last puff, I stared at the nub slowly going out and enjoyed a nice caramel aftertaste.

Highlights: This tasty little bugger shows that it's possible to have a flavorful, complex cigar with a Connecticut wrapper. The lightness and creaminess of the wrapper combine with the Nicaraguan/Dominican body to make a delicious smoke that really challenges my taste buds. I gave one of these to a local buddy, and while I'm always glad to share, I kind of wish I'd kept it for myself! Gotta get some more.
    Last edited by divedoc; 03-28-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Re: E.P. Carrillo New Wave Brillantes

One of my favorite Connies. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review. I love the Stellas but have not tried the Brillantes. That is going to have to change. It's great getting that much flavor from a Connie.
    Short putts never go in.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

I usally stray from Connies but I need to try these.
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Wow, these sound great! I had my first E.P the other day and loved it.

I like these. After reading your review i regret not picking more up. It's funny you mention banana, I was smoking a cigar the other day and I had a few draws that had a hint of banana in it, I remember thinking to myself, my taste buds must be off. I can't remember the cigar it was now...doh
    Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security. -Ben Franklin