Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Gurkha Beast

This is a discussion on Gurkha Beast within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Gurkhas are certainly a polarizing topic around here...well, I finally tried one. The specs: Size: 6.5"x58 Wrapper: Costa Rica Binder: ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Gurkha Beast

Gurkhas are certainly a polarizing topic around here...well, I finally tried one.

The specs:

Size: 6.5"x58
    Wrapper: Costa Rica
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Colombia, DR, Honduras

Pre-light: I typically smoke robustos, so this is a fairly large-looking cigar to me. It has a pretty walnut brown wrapper with small veins and a couple of lighter spots. Faint maduro-like aroma, with a pre-light draw that reminded me of honey/molasses and dark fruit.

Construction: Sigh. I fought an uneven burn the whole damn time. I would get it even, then watch as it canoed for half an inch before I would fix it. Slowing down didn't change anything, speeding up didn't change anything. Lots of smoke, though.

Tasting notes: Mostly reminded me of medium-strength coffee with cream that got progressively darker in body. I picked up faint hints of dried cherries a couple of times, but honestly I was so frustrated with the burn that I didn't pick up much else. Very little change in flavor profile for the duration of the smoke. I tossed it with about two inches to go.

I think this cigar would be a decent smoke for the money if it had an even burn. It certainly looks nice, and the pre-light and first few draws were very promising. From what I've read, Gurkhas suffer from consistency issues, and I guess that's what I'm dealing with here. I'll give it another shot in the future.

Re: Gurkha Beast

Well dang!
    That had to be frustrating...

I'm glad to hear that you got some good flavors out of it here and there though.

Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

I have a few more sitting in the humidor, so I'll light up another one in a week or so before I give my final verdict. Obviously, every manufacturer is going to roll a dud once in a while, but I can't remember the last time I smoked a premium cigar that acted like this one. I'd be pretty annoyed if I paid MSRP for it!

Revisited this cigar recently. No burn issues this time. Creamy coffee flavors as before, with a somewhat bready character underneath. Maybe a slight change in flavor as it burned down, but fairly consistent. It was enjoyable but not amazing.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Just curious, how long had the first one (your OP) rested before you lit it up? Glad the second one burned better for you - a crappy burn obviously makes any cigar experience frustrating.

Not long, maybe a week or two after removing from the freezer. I smoked a different cigar from that same batch only a couple of days after removal with no issues. Maybe the larger ring gauge required more time to settle down?

I just tried my first beast last night and I had the same burn issues as divedoc. It had been in my humi for about a month and it smelled pretty good when I took it out. The first frustrating thing was when I punched the cap the wraper came undone; not such a big deal, but it was a punch not a clip and it stll unraveled. The overall smoke was ok; a mild cigar with a good flavor, but for the effort of keeping it buring and wrapped I personaly wouldn't buy any more.
    Considering all of the threads I've read and reviews that list quality of construction as Gurkha's weakest point, it was still disappointing that my first taste of thier product line lived down to that reputation.

Young Puffer Fish

I'm sure I am not telling you guys something you don't already know, but have you tried hot boxing?

I had a pretty lengthy conversation with a guy before purchasing Gurkha Blue Steel and Park Avenue's awhile back. We discussed my frustrations with Gurkha inconsistent burn and wrapper construction. He specifically mentioned the Camaroon wrapper is famous for that, but as with other wrappers as well, he said hot boxing for about 24 hours prior to smoking, can correct those issues.

I am not sure it will help in your case, but it's worth a shot, I suppose.

Hope it helps.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

I got a box of the Beast Salomons back before the Superbowl, and I remember the first one with 2 days rest burned uneven as hell. After about a week the burn was a little better, and by halftime of the SB (3 weeks rest) the 3 we burned were perfect. The earlier ones also seemed to split the wrappers just back from the burn line, so I think they were still quite wet. The salomons are a huge gar, so I can understand how it would take longer to get them to the proper humidity.

As for the flavors, I agree with Doc's flavor profiles with a little added nuttiness as the burn progressed. Decent smoke if you can find them on sale, but the list price of $30 / stick (which one of my local B&M's charges) is way out of line with what you actually get.

Young Puffer Fish

$30/stick? Are they infused with the powder of a unicorn tusk?

That is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ace_labrone View Post
    $30/stick? Are they infused with the powder of a unicorn tusk?

That is ridiculous.
    Thats what I said!! I scored my box for $50 from CI with a MSRP of $295.00 for a box of 10. I can handle $10 / stick if their worth it (I would place these a $7-10 range). CI has the boxes of Gurkha Salomons (6 different types) on sale for $50 now. They also have the La Amistad Salomon sampler for the same price (box of 10 mixed AJF blends)

Gurkha Salomons - Cigars International

La Amistad Salomon Sampler - Cigars International

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdigital View Post
    Thats what I said!! I scored my box for $50 from CI with a MSRP of $295.00 for a box of 10. I can handle $10 / stick if their worth it (I would place these a $7-10 range). CI has the boxes of Gurkha Salomons (6 different types) on sale for $50 now. They also have the La Amistad Salomon sampler for the same price (box of 10 mixed AJF blends)
    I love Gurkha, but have not tried the salomon's yet. I know they are huge and somtime the flavor changes with the size. Have you noticed much a difference between those and say a toro or a torpedo?

I dont really smoke too many Gurkhas, and never had a beast before these. I imagine the smaller vitolas would let the wrapper flavor shine a bit more, but thats only a guess for me right now. Maybe I will get one of the samplers CI has and see if there's anything there I really enjoy.