Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Review - Illusione 88 Robusto

This is a discussion on Review - Illusione 88 Robusto within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Illusione 88 Robusto Size: 5 x 52 Strength: Medium to full Flavor: Medium to full Blend Origin: Nicaragua Wrapper Origin: ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FireRunner's Avatar

Review - Illusione 88 Robusto

Illusione 88 Robusto

Size: 5 x 52
    Strength: Medium to full
    Flavor: Medium to full
    Blend Origin: Nicaragua
    Wrapper Origin: Nicaragua

Initial Impression

This cigar comes wrapped in a smooth chocolate wrapper with a slight reddish tone. There are a few large but smooth veins along the cigar (more noticeable in the photos excluding the first one below), but nothing overwhelming unless you're really looking. Construction is very tight and even at a RH of 68-70 the cigar was tight.

Draw & Burn

Initial light came with a very smooth and easy draw producing some light smoke. The burn was a little wavy in the first third and I had to manually adjust. The ash was a beautiful off white and I was surprised how long the ash stayed on for. On both the first and second thirds it was almost an inch and a half long before it decided to take a tumble - very impressive.

Flavor & Aroma

Sometimes cigars smoke very differently from the first to the second to the third portions. This was one of those cigars for me. The initial light gave off earthy tones with touches of pepper and sweetness. As I transitioned into the second third the pepper and sweetness became very light and the flavors stayed on the earthy tone course. The final third brought back the pepper along with some cedar flavors.

Final Impression

This was my first Dion Giolito cigar, and while it did not make a huge impression on me it was an overall good smoke. The flavors were abundant with its range of earth, pepper, sweet and cedar. I was a little put off by the wavy burn during the first third, but once corrected the burn was sharp. An overall enjoyable evening smoke.
    20 years of smoking and still going strong *cough* *cough*...

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Re: Review - Illusione 88 Robusto

Thank you for this review. I've enjoyed every Illusione I've smoked. One of my favorite lines.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

These are good, but for some reason I get more flavor out of the smaller RG Illusiones.

Young Puffer Fish

I really love these. One of the few cigars I have found that go really well with Red Wine.