Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Liga Privada No 9 Corona Doble

This is a discussion on Liga Privada No 9 Corona Doble within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Tonight I smoked a Liga Privada No 9 and decided to share my thoughts with the puff community. This is ...

MDS

Liga Privada No 9 Corona Doble

Tonight I smoked a Liga Privada No 9 and decided to share my thoughts with the puff community. This is the corona doble size, 7x52. I picked this cigar up in January. I have smoked many of the other vitolas but this was my first time with the 7x52.

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
    Binder: Barzilian Mata Fina
    Filler: Nicaraguan, Honduran

Flavors:

1st third: I was getting a black pepper on the draw, then starting the finish I got some earth and coffee, which transitioned into a sweet and savory cocoa. Medium-Full bodied.

2nd third: The pepper remained on the draw but the finish cut right to the cocoa that I got earlier. The flavors came up to about a full.

Final third: Continued second third flavors.

Construction: The cigar was constructed very well with a perfect draw and excellent burn and smoke output.

Burn time was a great 2.5 hours on the nose. I had it nubbed as far as it could go. The LP9 happens to be my favorite cigar and having an extra hour over the robusto certainly did not offend me. I got this particular cigar for $13.50 but most recently I saw these going for $15.50. If I see this vitola priced nicely in the future I will definitely add another to my humidor.

Re: Liga Privada No 9 Corona Doble

Thanks, good review.

Young Puffer Fish

I need to pick one of these up.

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed it!

Drew Estate Cigars drewestatecigar's Avatar

Thanks for the review!

NuG

Thanks for the review.

Did you notice any difference in flavor from this stick compared to the smaller vitola?

For me, 2.5 hours is a long time to be smoking a cigar but would be good for those looking for a longer smoke to watch a baseball or basketball game.

MDS

Good question, Dan. It has been since January since I last had a robusto but I do remember once thinking to myself that when smoking a toro that the rubusto had a little more flavor to it but this corona doble seemed to dismiss the idea that larger = less flavorful as there was just as much flavor as I remembers from the robustos in this one. I have a belicoso in the humidor so it will be interesting to see how that one is.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Good question, Dan. It has been since January since I last had a robusto but I do remember once thinking to myself that when smoking a toro that the rubusto had a little more flavor to it but this corona doble seemed to dismiss the idea that larger = less flavorful as there was just as much flavor as I remembers from the robustos in this one. I have a belicoso in the humidor so it will be interesting to see how that one is.
    Does DE reblend to try to keep the same flavor for each format or do they just blend the same for all of the formats? Nice review

MDS

Thanks. I don't know for sure but I think it's the same blend since the gauge will effect the flavor much more than the length will and the current lines are all 52 gauge I think.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Thanks. I don't know for sure but I think it's the same blend since the gauge will effect the flavor much more than the length will and the current lines are all 52 gauge I think.
    I would think so just because of the length it will taste different especially around the half way points that is what I assume but a 2" difference from the robusto and doble may not have much affect I am just curious . Because you will have a build up in the stick... Just thought that was interesting because I was watching a video Cigar Blending with Jose Blanco - YouTube and am becoming very fascinated with the blending.. I am seriously thinking about taking a few cigars apart going through this Reverse Cigar Blending | Tobacconist University Blog

Would be interesting to take 3 cigars of the same line and reverse blend them see if they are all similar which am sure you are correct that the ring gauge has more to do with it since the wrapper to filler ratio stays the same...

MDS

Longer cigars would have more time to develop, I concur.

I was thinking about something like this image when I made my post:

The differences in wrapper contribution to the flavor differs along gauge but negligibly with length. Here's the main article: featured article ?