Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Review - Tatuaje TAA 2012

This is a discussion on Review - Tatuaje TAA 2012 within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Size: 6 1/4 by 50 Country of Origin: Nicaragua Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Binder: Nicaraguan Filler: Nicaraguan Vitola: Box pressed Toro ...

No longer a community member.

Review - Tatuaje TAA 2012

Size: 6 1/4 by 50
    Country of Origin: Nicaragua
    Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Vitola: Box pressed Toro

Summary: I really like this stick I have smoked already a whole box and have two boxes resting / aging. I normally use a punch for box presses in
    this format. I cleared my palate with some lime sorbet.

Construction: Dark wrapper pretty smooth some visable veins and seams. cap is pretty even, good pack / firm I have a gnarly vein
    running down the side of this stick which am hoping won't affect it to bad..

Pic of the gnarly vein...

1/3 -
    Flavor: Sweet creamy/vanilla citrus on the retrohale with some pepper and leather. Got some subtle notes of coco and coffee. The stick transitioned
    on the first 3rd giving a sharp licorece on the retrohale still with the citrus with the coco coming in more. Hitting pockets of sugar
    and the retrohale is smoothing out coming to the end of the first 3rd. I am already feeling some nicotine coming to the end of the first 3rd.
    Burn: sharp, cool, little uneven, gray ash a bit flakey.
    Aroma: sweet vanilla coco.
    Finish: Vanilla slight pepper, with a sweet pepper on the tip of my tongue at times, has this coco powder finish on it.

2/3 -
    Flavor: The flavors have setup a pretty persistent flavor profile with the already mentioned flavors coming and going into the second third but
    has smoothed out very nicely including the retrohale. Into the second third I have a nice nicotine kick. The citrus sharpness on the retrohale started
    to come back in the middle of the second third on one puff, but smoothed out again the pepper seems to be picking up. Coming to the end of the second
    third I decided to clear my palate see if I can pick up some nauances ( lime sorbet does the job I try not to make it to sweet ).
    I noticed the citrus has subsided in the retrohale a bit of pepper taking over.
    Burn: sharp, cool, uneven I gave it a little touch up but it could have corrected itself, the ash falls short of a inch this stick isn't
    one I would play the ash game with.
    Finish: pepper is becoming more prominent on the finish.

3/3 -
    Flavor: The spiceness/pepper has definently come fore front at this point the vanilla and other subtle notes taking a back seat but still smoothed
    out very nicely the leather seems to always be there but subtle, still picking up hints of citrus on the retrohale it nicely transitioned off of the
    vanilla/creamy but it seems to still be there but has taken a back seat to the pepper. I really enjoy smoking this stick but everytime I love the
    first half the transition you barely notice you all the sudden find yourself with a different flavor wanting the first half flavor profile.
    Into the half way point of the last 3rd I find a wood that is a bit sharp on the retrohale but I still notice the citrus on the second retrohale.
    Burn: sharp, cool, uneven
    Finish: pepper and a bit of wood.

Conclusion: This is a smoke I really like I was kinda worried about the gnarly vein running through it but I did however enjoy this stick.
    The first half I really liked. The transition was great but I always say to myself that first half the first half. It does have a nicotine punch to it
    I would say it is medium to full for flavor. I rate this stick highly once again I am not going to assign numbers etc to this stick I just say this
    is a good cigar and it does have a nicotine kick to it. I have a couple of boxes resting that I would like to age so that speaks for itself. I smoked
    this stick without any bitterness or overheating in 1 hour and 28 minutes.. Towards the end I was getting a tingling sensation on the tongue and
    that is normally when my palate is telling me something so it looks like am done for reviews for today

Puffer Fish with some spikes DSTEW's Avatar

Re: Review - Tatuaje TAA 2012

Thanks for the detailed review. I have a handful of these sitting at home that I need to get into. Guess Ill do that tonight.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by DSTEW View Post
    Thanks for the detailed review. I have a handful of these sitting at home that I need to get into. Guess Ill do that tonight.
    I gave away a few of these cigars from my first box these last two boxes are no give away and am not going to smoke out of them for at least a couple of years... They are not a every day smoke for me at all.. When I first experienced this cigar I thought of it as a dessert cigar some may say a breakfast cigar I guess has a nice punch to it and smooth flavors creamy / sweet.. I just can't smoke them every morning like other cigars... I can't wait to see the 10th anni see how it will compare...

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Haven't had the TAA 2012 but the TAA 2011 was amazing! Thanks for the review!
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

I LOVE the Tatuaje 2011 series....and would love to find another box. I also really like the 2012 TAA....but prefer the larger 2011 ring gage. Still, that hasn't stopped me from smoking a couple boxes of the 2012 and hoarding a few more. From what I can tell they are very very hard to find. I got my last two (soon to be 3 boxes) at Schwab's in Lexington KY ((859) 266-1011). I believe he still has around 20 boxes.

Puffer Fish with many spikes nfusion770's Avatar

I have a box. Smoked a few. Happy to have more. Nice review.
    He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Thanks for posting up the review. I have some resting currently that I look forward to lighting up int he future!