Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra Review!

This is a discussion on Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra Review! within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; After a long night of studying and writing a paper, I looked at the clock and it was a little ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes ACasazza's Avatar

Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra Review!

After a long night of studying and writing a paper, I looked at the clock and it was a little after 5am. Paper is due by 9:30am so I beat the deadline well in advance. To ease my nerves and congratulate myself on a very well written paper, I decided to go light up a stick. I went up to my dorm room, threw on clothes I don't care about smelling like smoke, grabbed a bottle of water, lighter, cutter, and headed out to relax!

My campus has designated smoking areas so I had to walk to a spot (luckily across the street from my dorm). It was about 35F outside and I could tell it was going to be a tad rough on the wrapper.

The cigar I chase was a....
    Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra! (bombed to me by @B-daddy )
    Size: 6 x 52
    Wrapper: Sumatra
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru

This stick has been in my humi for exactly 2 weeks, plus however long Brian let it rest before sending it to me.

As soon as I clipped the cap, the wrapper began to crack around the top. This was a sign of it going from 70F/65RH to 35F/45RH? outside. Cold draw was a tad bit of chocolate but was mostly woody/hay tasting. This stick lit up quick and easily. Through the first 1/3, the burn was razor even, tastes of cedar and raisin were evident. Everything of this stick was good thus far.

Through the 2/3 point, the wrapper went to hell. Cracking all over the place and falling off, but the stick itself did not implode like many other sticks do. There was some light pepper but still mostly cedar flavor to this point.

The last 1/3 was rough. It began getting hot and the flavors of chocolate and hay were coming back but were bitter. I set it down as I was having a conversation with some guys who were smoking cigs and let the stick slow down. I picked it back up after about 3 minutes and finished it like a champ. The flavors smoothed out nicely and had strong flavors of leather.

Overall I really liked this stick, it really calmed the nerves and would love to get my hands on some more. Its good now, I can only imagine what some rest would do for these!
    **Just starting out in this new world of cigars, any and all advice is welcome!**

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Re: Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra Review!

Hey Anthony. Glad you liked it. You got the last one from a five-pack I got about 6 months ago (so, it's been resting for a little while). They tend to give me a bit of Nicotine kick. You reminded me that I want to pick-up some more of these. Hmm...I may have one left from a bomb I got recently. I'll have to rummage through my singles box at home.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by B-daddy View Post
    Hey Anthony. Glad you liked it. You got the last one from a five-pack I got about 6 months ago (so, it's been resting for a little while). They tend to give me a bit of Nicotine kick. You reminded me that I want to pick-up some more of these. Hmm...I may have one left from a bomb I got recently. I'll have to rummage through my singles box at home.
    It was great. Kept me up long enough to shower and get cozy in my bed before completely crashing. I liked it a lot.
    **Just starting out in this new world of cigars, any and all advice is welcome!**

I picked up a 5pack of these recently, and have a box arriving any minute now, both from SmokeInn.com

I've noticed that the wrappers are a bit fragile, and they're likely quite sensitive to humidity. If you can get it right, then they are a wonderful smoke. One of my favorites, no doubt, and I'd say your review follows suit to mine, but I haven't had quite as much wrapper problem as you suggest having.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nothing View Post
    I picked up a 5pack of these recently, and have a box arriving any minute now, both from SmokeInn.com

I've noticed that the wrappers are a bit fragile, and they're likely quite sensitive to humidity. If you can get it right, then they are a wonderful smoke. One of my favorites, no doubt, and I'd say your review follows suit to mine, but I haven't had quite as much wrapper problem as you suggest having.
    I know mine was due to temperature drop. It went suddenly from warm to cold while being lit up.

Right now, these are my favorite cigars. I've never had any issues with construction or performance. Thanks for reviewing.

Straight outta Sunnyvale thechasm442's Avatar

Hmm. I've had one that I've been sitting on since last January. I just remembered it and wanna try it now.

Newbie in the ocean

Apt Reply Indeed.

The other day I was reading the same review on Mike's Cigars blog which I found quite appropriate and was thing to share the same and see the coincidence I found a better one here.