Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

L'atelier selection special quick review

This is a discussion on L'atelier selection special quick review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Originally Posted by FireRunner I try and stay away from buying cigars online. Even from reputable stores. I receive great ...

TJB

Re: L'atelier selection special quick review

Quote Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
    I try and stay away from buying cigars online. Even from reputable stores. I receive great treatment and deals from my local cigar shops. This box only cost me $79 total. I believe the average price is $81 a box not including tax. But, these are in very high demand. That's for sure.
    I agree with you I'd rather shop at the BM. Unfortunately I live in taxachusetts. Its taboo here to consume tobacco. I believe they just passed an increase in a tobacco tax here a couple of weeks ago as well. Between sales tax, excise tax, mark up the singles I buy are about three dollars more a cigar now. I will talk it over with them though maybe they will cut me a deal on a box. I only recently heard they are willing to work with repeat customers a bit.

The Maduros come out this month.
    "Laugh now Cry later"

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by ptpablo View Post
    The Maduros come out this month.
    They have been out I already had one! Hence the review . Unless you mean available for an online store or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    They have been out I already had one! Hence the review . Unless you mean available for an online store or something.
    Are you saying that the Special Selection is a maduro?
    Veni Vidi Vici

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by loulax07 View Post
    Yes

Leading Puffer Fish HTML5 Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loulax07 View Post
    Yes
    Hmm... I thought that the Maduros weren't coming out until the end of the month. All the LAT46 SS thus far have been the Sancti Spiritus wrapper (basically a criollo/pelo de oro hybrid). They ARE really dark, because they are using the higher primings.

Are you sure that you have gotten some early release Maduros? If so, can you send me one? I'll send you two of the "normal" LAT46 SS as a trade.

TJB

well maybe I have my facts mixed up. I was told these selection specials were the first to have the maduro wrapper but perhaps I was under the wrong impression. I did some more research and I guess they are just darker from the higher primings. Sorry!

The Maduros are due in any day now. I sold a box of the others on here 2 weeks ago below msrp and regret it! I just ordered another today because of this thread!
    "Laugh now Cry later"

well maybe I have my facts mixed up. I was told these selection specials were the first to have the maduro wrapper but perhaps I was under the wrong impression. I did some more research and I guess they are just darker from the higher primings. Sorry!
    No worries, I've found that a lot of times the folks at the B&Ms often get confused by darker wrappers that arent maduros and accidentally give customers incorrect information. Just as an example, recently someone at a local B&M was trying to convince me that the Tatuaje Reserva 2013 was a maduro. I gave up trying to convince him it wasn't and is just a dark broadleaf, and he's probably telling every customer he can that they are maduros. I was actually hoping you may have gotten some of the LAT46 Maduros already!

I'm eagerly awaiting getting my hands on some, but honestly, these are SO good, I'm not sure how tha maduro wrapper is going to work with the blend (and I LOVE maduros).

These are incredible cigars.
    Last edited by HTML5 Gordon; 05-10-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FireRunner's Avatar

There is a L'Atelier Maduro cigar releasing at the end of May. It is not the same as the 46.
    20 years of smoking and still going strong *cough* *cough*...

I was looking forward to this release since I enjoyed the couple of L'Ateliers I've smoked since they came out. When I saw a box at the shop, I grabbed one and fired it up a few days later. Man, I can't really describe the dank nasty overpowering taste it left in my mouth...sort of like what licking an algae encrusted gutter would taste like. I soldiered on, hoping it would go away, but it did not. Maybe I just got a bad one? Too soon and too wet? I don't really want to plunk the $10+ it cost me again only to relive the experience from that first one.

It's obviously a quality stick, as the previous posts would attest to, but I just can't get over how bad the one I had was.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
    I was looking forward to this release since I enjoyed the couple of L'Ateliers I've smoked since they came out. When I saw a box at the shop, I grabbed one and fired it up a few days later. Man, I can't really describe the dank nasty overpowering taste it left in my mouth...sort of like what licking an algae encrusted gutter would taste like. I soldiered on, hoping it would go away, but it did not. Maybe I just got a bad one? Too soon and too wet? I don't really want to plunk the $10+ it cost me again only to relive the experience from that first one.

It's obviously a quality stick, as the previous posts would attest to, but I just can't get over how bad the one I had was.
    This is what I find so interesting about this hobby! Everyone's palate is so unique. . I do wonder if it was an odd bad stick (although I haven't had any bad ones yet) or if it is just not in your wheelhouse.

For me, it is probably the best new smoke I have had this year, for you, it is a Ron Mexico Special Edition.

NEWS: L’ATELIER SLATES LAT 46 SS FOR MARCH, MADURO FOR MAY
    Posted by Charlie Minato on Thursday, February 14, 2013 ˇ 2 Comments

The L’Atelier LAT 46 Selection Spéciale will be begin shipping in mid-March. Retailers have begun to be informed by the company that the newest edition to the LAT family will be shipped on March 19, although the Corona Gorda will debut at Federal Cigar’s 92nd Anniversary Party on March 15.

Announced late last year, the LAT 46 uses higher primings of the Sancti Spiritus wrapper giving it a significantly darker appearance than the first three vitolas of the line. Pricing has been officially set at $8.75 per cigar and $87.50 per box, which is consistent with the sub-$10 prediction from when the cigar was announced.
    In addition, Dan Welsh of L’Atelier Imports told halfwheel that the LAT Maduro will be launching May 30 at a Casa de Montecristo event featuring Pete Johnson, K.C. Johnson, Sean Casper Johnson and Dan Welsh. The cigar will be available nationally on June 3.
    This is the second consecutive year Pete Johnson has debuted a cigar at Federal Cigar’s annual anniversary celebrations. Last year, the Fausto FT114 was sold in limited quantities ahead of its release.
    "Laugh now Cry later"

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FireRunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post

If you're referring to the L'Atelier 46 I was in the same boat. I smoke the 52 and 54 regularly, when the 46 was released I was looking forward to it. First time I toasted it my mouth was left with a harsh taste. It was a 180 from the 52, 54 and 56 L'Atelier. I let them sit for about two weeks and tried it again, the second time the flavor was different and the cigar was smoother.

I don't know why the first stick was so harsh. Even my brother who smokes the 54 regularly had the exact same experience. But, the second time was smoother. However, we both noticed the ash on the 46 (the first time we smoked it) never held on for more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Our thought were those two cigars weren't maintained.
    20 years of smoking and still going strong *cough* *cough*...

Quote Originally Posted by HTML5 Gordon View Post
    This is what I find so interesting about this hobby! Everyone's palate is so unique. . I do wonder if it was an odd bad stick (although I haven't had any bad ones yet) or if it is just not in your wheelhouse.

For me, it is probably the best new smoke I have had this year, for you, it is a Ron Mexico Special Edition.
    I chalk it up to getting a bad one, though I don't know how a single stick can go so far off the reservation. I don't think that particular cigar would be in anyone's wheelhouse unless your wheelhouse is made of algae and moss.

I will give it another try and hope that one was an anomaly...If just that single note was eliminated, it definitely would have been enjoyable, since there were other good flavors there, but that dank, mouth coating, sort of rotten funk just overpowered them.
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast