Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

L'atelier selection special quick review

This is a discussion on L'atelier selection special quick review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I have to say this is one of the finest greatest tasting cigars I have ever had! I bought one ...

TJB

L'atelier selection special quick review

I have to say this is one of the finest greatest tasting cigars I have ever had!

I bought one of these and two of the standard line today at the local BM. I was a little excited to smoke it based on all the reviews of the line in general so i lit it up right when i got home. I think it was stored around 68% humidity.

The construction was excellent. some small veins but well packed with tobacco.
    I cut the cigar with my CC cutter and the pre-light draw had hints of tea and sweetness with some grassy notes.

I grabbed my new black label el dictator and had a nice even burn. Ever puff on a cigar and think "wow this is off to a REALLY good start?". Well multiply that by 10 and thats what i was greeted with. this wonderful sweet and aromatic mixture of light spice with asian tea and cedar. its hard to describe but did remind me a little bit of the my father version with the pelo de oro wrapper. just toned down a bit and a little sweeter but not too sweet. delicious! I am talking ZERO harshness was on the initial light.

Tons of smoke come off the cigar. The burn was pretty sharp but required a few touch ups due to the higher humidity. I can tell if I let this thing sit for a couple weeks it would be razor.

The cigar as a whole reminds me of the surrogates tramp stamp but much more balanced. There are continuous notes of sweet Asian tea with a tiny hint of spice. Some cedar and light coffee with even some nuts. The retro hale is to die for and I had to constantly tell myself to slow down. I have not had any of the standard line yet but this cigar is a winner in my books. Probably one of if not the best cigars in the medium-full category I have ever had.

I can't wait to try the regular line although I do prefer darker cigars. I doubt they will disappoint based on this one.
    Last edited by TJB; 05-04-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FireRunner's Avatar

Re: L'atelier selection special quick review

Nice review. This cigar is the L'Atelier 46, and yes it is hard to find. I spoke with Pete Johnson about this particular cigar and they produce limited quantities due to the limited supply of the wrapper. The 46 wrapper comes from only the top of the plant and are set aside for this 46 line. The regular lines are L'Atelier 52, 54 and 56 (all three much easier to find than the 46).

Also, if you enjoy the L'Atelier try the Cabaiguan Guapos. Another excellent cigar by Pete Johnson. It's also medium strength with medium to full flavor. Very smooth.
    20 years of smoking and still going strong *cough* *cough*...

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
    Nice review. This cigar is the L'Atelier 46, and yes it is hard to find. I spoke with Pete Johnson about this particular cigar and they produce limited quantities due to the limited supply of the wrapper. The 46 wrapper comes from only the top of the plant and are set aside for this 46 line. The regular lines are L'Atelier 52, 54 and 56 (all three much easier to find than the 46).

Also, if you enjoy the L'Atelier try the Cabaiguan Guapos. Another excellent cigar by Pete Johnson. It's also medium strength with medium to full flavor. Very smooth.
    Well I understand your avatar better now . Yes I will give it a try thanx!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Best cigar I've had in 2013....PERIOD.
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Well I understand your avatar better now . Yes I will give it a try thanx!
    Pete Johnson, the Garcia Family and Oliva make up about 80% of my cigar smoking

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by fuente~fuente View Post
    Best cigar I've had in 2013....PERIOD.
    I agree completely. I have a couple Liga privada #9s coming in the robusto size soon. In a few weeks I can't wait to try these as well. This one took me by surprise so I'm hoping the Ligas live up to the hype.

I really want to try these. Don't think anyone in town has them, guess I'm going to have to order a few. Thanks for the review.

Nice review! I picked one of these up at a local place a few days ago and smoked it. It was a great cigar, no doubt but something about it just didnt sit right with me. Ill have to try them again.

The cigar as a whole reminds me of the surrogates tramp stamp but much more balanced.
    u had me at this! i have one resting but will try it tonight for sure
    Veni Vidi Vici

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by loulax07 View Post
    u had me at this! i have one resting but will try it tonight for sure
    Awesome let me know what you think!

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by rpb16 View Post
    Nice review! I picked one of these up at a local place a few days ago and smoked it. It was a great cigar, no doubt but something about it just didnt sit right with me. Ill have to try them again.
    At the end there was a slight bitterness in mine. I attributed this to being over humidified at the local B and M and didn't put this against the cigar. I also had to constantly tell myself to slow down I was sucking this thing down quick. Maybe you had issues such as these? In my experience it takes a couple weeks for a BM cigar to reach your humidor's RH. So a few days may have still resulted in this. Def. try it again I can't wait to buy more of these for this weekend .

Just had one last night. Still like the Tramp Stamp better which had more flavors and sweetness to it.
    Veni Vidi Vici

Picked up a box. They are truly hard to find. Took me over three months just to be able to find a whole box!

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
    Picked up a box. They are truly hard to find. Took me over three months just to be able to find a whole box!

Sweet. I'm going to be buying more singles the next couple of days. Cigarplace.biz will be getting some in soon they told me. They always have the best prices on everything and they have dollar shipping 1st of the month. So keep your eyes peeled.

Sweet. I'm going to be buying more singles the next couple of days. Cigarplace.biz will be getting some in soon they told me. They always have the best prices on everything and they have dollar shipping 1st of the month. So keep your eyes peeled.
    I try and stay away from buying cigars online. Even from reputable stores. I receive great treatment and deals from my local cigar shops. This box only cost me $79 total. I believe the average price is $81 a box not including tax. But, these are in very high demand. That's for sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast