Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

J. Fuego Gran Reserva Corojo #1 Original Review

This is a discussion on J. Fuego Gran Reserva Corojo #1 Original Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; J. Fuego Gran Reserva Corojo #1 Original Prelude: From J Fuego: Our secret revealed. Its shape, draw, and unique way ...

Question J. Fuego Gran Reserva Corojo #1 Original Review

J. Fuego Gran Reserva Corojo #1 Original

Prelude: From J Fuego:

Our secret revealed. Its shape, draw, and unique way of rolling it have made this Vitola my familys first and favorite tool when evaluating all our tobacco and blends since 1876. A truly Original smoking experience.
    Enjoy.
    Jesus Fuego.

Size: 5x~44
    Wrapper: Honduran Corojo
    Binder: Costa Rican Corojo
    Filler: 1/3 Honduran, 1/3 Nicaraguan, 1/3 Undisclosed

Prelight: The pictures dont do this cigar justice, it is one ugly ass cigar. But in a way its got alot of character too. The wrapper has a nice reddish brown color with a slight sheen, with a weird dry-velvety feel. Smell was a deep meaty earth. 26/30

Construction: This cigar had surprisingly good construction. THe pack is a bit light, but honestly its not that bad. The draw was on the loose side but nothing unbearable. Burn was great, with only one minor touch up needed. It burned straight, nice and cool all the way to the nub. Ash was a bit flaky to start but as i burned through the middle it held on for an easy inch or so. 28/30

Flavor: As I torched the foot some very nice unique smelling smoke wafted into my nose, I knew what it was, but my brain just could never recall it back. First draw reveals loads of deep dark wood with alot of heavy complex spices and pepper. As it settles down the medium/full flavor profile consists of oily wood, meaty earth, complex spices, light cinnamon, and an underlying sweetness that really completes this very well balanced and complex cigar. Finish is of charred oak and earth.

There wasnt too many profile changes as the cigar burned down, probably due to the size, but the flavor profile ups in body and richness while the meaty notes ramped up. All these flavors would ebb and flow, sometims showing only a few, sometimes all on one draw, and despite the lack of development this cigar kept me on my toes for over an hour. 28/30

Overall Experience: 9/10

Total Score: 91/100

Wrap-up: This cigar is simply wonderful. TBH i was a bit worried about how it would smoke when factoring in the price, but from the first puff on those doubts were blown away in a cloud of aromatic smoke. This is a solid choice for the smoker who enjoys a medium/full spice and pepper bomb. But thats not all it has, the sweetness and meatiness really combine to create a fantastic cigar that can combined with the size, shape, and price to make one hell of a yard gar, but you might just forgo the lawn and pop a squat in your favorite chair and get lost in its flavor.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Re: J. Fuego Gran Reserva Corojo #1 Original Review

Nice review, Ryan. I had the Origen Originals last year, and never did forget how good they were. Surprising for such a diminutive stick.

So last week I decided to pick up a pack each of the other three. Tonight I'm smoking the Gran Reserva Corojo #1 in this familiar and wonderful size. I'm with you - very high marks. I assume the Origen Maduro and the Sangre de Toro will also be as delightful.

I lit this up before seeing your review - but was already in compliance with your closing sentence.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Stranger ina strange land RTChallenger13's Avatar

Great review and thanks. Its amazing how this guy can turn out great cigars such as the one you reviewed, but also turn out complete and utter bombs like Royal Nicaraguan Oscuro..... Seriously because of that blend, I'm scared as hell to spend any amount of money on anything else with the name J Fuego attached to it.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTChallenger13 View Post
    Seriously because of that blend, I'm scared as hell to spend any amount of money on anything else with the name J Fuego attached to it.
    I'm not.

Picked these up today, though I bet they're fairly fresh. I'll try to give them at least a month in the box...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

No longer a community member.

I got an Origen Original in a trade last month. I think I'm going to break it out this week and pick up a pack of these as well. Nice review.