Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Grown Review

This is a discussion on Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Grown Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; ...

Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Grown Review

Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Grown Robusto

Size: 5x50
    Wrapper: Dominican Habano
    Binder: Dominican Criollo '98
    Filler: Dominican and Nicaraguan

From Pinar Del Rio: This cigar showcases a blend of extra-long-aged Nicaraguan and Dominican tobaccos with a lush, oily, Dominican-grown Habano leaf – like the deep, red-brown wrappers grown in Pinar Del Río, Cuba.

Prelight: This cigar has a beautiful reddish brown wrapper with a nice bit of oil. There is a few medium sized veins but nothing too crazy. Pre-light smell has a nice spicy bready/woody aroma. 27/30

Construction: Draw is on the loose side. Burn starts out a bit wavy but straightens out a bit. This cigar does experience some tunneling as well. Ash holds for an easy 2-2.5 inches 27/30

Flavor: Starts with smooth medium/full body profile that consists of slightly sweet and creamy coffee, wood, baking spices, heavy red pepper and light caramel. There is also a very nice sugary note, like you just ate a spoonful of sugar that is very nice. Finish is of heavy red pepper, wood and coffee.

As the burn progresses the body ramps up slightly, the flavors get a bit richer and creamier. Sweetness dies down a bit, and the wood and red pepper become the dominant notes. The is also an emergence of some roasted type flavors and the finish adds a good bit of earth.

This is pretty much how it finishes out, with the pepper, wood, and earth slowly taking over the profile. Some bitterness creeps in towards the nub but is easily remedied by a purge. 28/30

Overall Experience:8/10

Total Score: 90/100

Final Thoughts: This is a solid cigar. One thing that gets me is how amazingly consistent these are from stick to stick. Ive smoked through a good 30 total and everyone has been the same(when factoring in age). Speaking of age these are a bit ''rough'' ROTT, very very peppery, but with some age they mellow out into a very complex well balanced cigar. I think this particular one had about 6 months on it and it is still pretty peppery but the sweetness helps bring some interesting contrast to the profile.

Re: Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Grown Review

excellently done review.
    I've only had a couple different PDR sticks, and noticed there is some "pdr" flavor to them. Something i haven't pinned down yet, but thus far has been unique to PDR.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nothing View Post
    excellently done review.
    I've only had a couple different PDR sticks, and noticed there is some "pdr" flavor to them. Something i haven't pinned down yet, but thus far has been unique to PDR.
    Yep ive noticed it too. More of a background note that affects the whole profile rather than stick out on its own. TBH ive grown away from the rest of the line because of that, but the sun grown always calls me back

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Great review and thanks for taking the time to document it as well as post it up for all to share.

I have quite a few of the PDR on hand that I picked up on cigarbid for what I felt was a decent enough price to try them out. They likely have 6 months if not more rest on them so I need to light one Habano Sun Growns up and give it a go. I have tried 2 of the Oscuros and they were a pleasurable experience!

Thanks again!

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Really great bang for your buck stick, as are most PDRs IMO. I've got 3 of the 5-star samplers coming from the devil this week ($7 each, freaking fantastic deal).
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Glad you guys enjoyed the review. I agree 100% PDR makes some of the best ''value''(they are great smokes, regardless of price)cigars on the market. Every cigar they make is remarkably consistent too which sadly isnt as common a virture one would expect from many big cigar manufactuers. Ill be reviewing the capa oscura tomorrow stay tuned .

Ray, the oscuro is a good smoke, but it aint even in the same league as the HSG. Let us know what you think when you smoke it bro

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpb16 View Post
    they are great smokes, regardless of price
    Agreed! Yes, sometimes when you say something is a good value it can misconstrued as good only proportionately to the price you paid, but these are indeed great regardless.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

PDR is rolled versus stacked (entubados). I make a narrow slit across the cap because they draw really easy and if overheated they mush and go bitter. Every PDR is in my kennel(lol) and I love them all now that I know how to treat them. Great Review!!!
    A little help is better than a lot of pity -Celtic Proverb
    Tweet me @mad_bricky FB http://www.facebook.com/mad.bricky

No longer a community member.

Excellent review. I haven't tried one of these yet, but that will soon change.