Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Ramon Bueso The Odyssey Muy Bueso Review

This is a discussion on Ramon Bueso The Odyssey Muy Bueso Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; After trying and liking the Genesis, I purchased a bunch of Odysseys (along with some Genesis) in a sampler pack ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Ramon Bueso The Odyssey Muy Bueso Review

After trying and liking the Genesis, I purchased a bunch of Odysseys (along with some Genesis) in a sampler pack from CI. Here are the specs on the Muy Bueso:

Size: 6.5" x 60
    Wrapper: Honduran Connecticut
    Binder: Honduran Habano
    Filler: Dominican, Honduran, Nicaraguan

Pre-light: Average-looking Connecticut wrapper with mild veins. It feels nicely firm throughout and has a typical "light wrapper" aroma and pre-draw.

Construction: I've smoked three of these so far, and two of them had burn issues requiring a few re-lights. The other one canoed for half an inch at the halfway point but corrected itself. The ash held up to about an inch without drooping.

Tasting notes: I used both a punch cutter and a guillotine, and I think I prefer the punch for this vitola. The first draws are mildly spicy, then settle into a predominantly vegetal/herbal flavor with a finish that reminds me of tea leaves. The finish itself is relatively short. I noticed a faint sweetness, like cinnamon sugar, on the retrohale. The flavors seemed kind of unbalanced to me until I hot the halfway point, when they smoothed out a bit and I started to catch a woody note. The body creeps up in the last third of the cigar, along with flavors of herbs and leather.

At the price I paid for this cigar, I think it's a solid smoke. You'll notice that the filler is a blend from three different regions; I kind of feel like there's some confusion over where Bueso wanted to go with this smoke, because I definitely felt a lack of balance in the first half of the cigar. That said, the tea leaf flavor is kind of unique and it's worth trying. I may give the rest of these some time to rest in my humidor before trying them again. But as far as today goes, it's not bad for the money...just not great.

Stranger ina strange land RTChallenger13's Avatar

Re: Ramon Bueso The Odyssey Muy Bueso Review

Sounds like a decent enough follow up to their Genesis. I'll be scoping the bidding grounds to pick up a five pack of these.

Leading Puffer Fish

Nice review!

Conscientious Objector Cardinal's Avatar

Thanks for writing it up. Have seen some good prices on these on CI and wondered about them and the Genesis. Guess I'll hold off for now unless I get a good deal in a sampler with some others I know I want.

I have a fiver of this stick coming on Tuesday. Wondering if these are good to go ROTT or if I should give them the obligatory few weeks rest. Who am I kidding...I'm probably gonna smoke one as soon as they come in. Maybe I'll drybox for a day or two if they're excessively wet. I'm really curious to see how Bueso's sophomore effort stacks up to his very good first smoke...
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hubby's Avatar

Great review... Will have to look for a five pack to try out...
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci

Sure enough, I tried one ROTT and should've waited. Not the greatest burn and flavors were dilluted...Will revisit after an un-celloed rest at 63% or lower for at least a month...
    I'm completely unbiased and 100% open minded. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Full grown Puffer Fish greige matter's Avatar

Been looking to try the Odyssey. I will now wait for them to sit awhile.

Young Fish

Thanks for the review. I just got a fiver for a good price... Will probably let them sit a spell before firing one up.