Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela

This is a discussion on Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; So I've never done a cigar review before. I just finished smoking this one and thought I'd share my thoughts ...

Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela

So I've never done a cigar review before. I just finished smoking this one and thought I'd share my thoughts and a couple of pics.

I'm still at the beginning of my journey into the world of cigars and this is the first candela I've smoked. I have to admit I was drawn to this cigar buy the color of its wrapper. Its the only candela my local B&M stocks and stands out in the store like a green thumb. I knew I had to try one. It's been sitting in my humidor for just over a month and I figured what better day to try an 'American Market Selection' cigar than July 4th!

[IMG][/IMG]

The pre light draw on this emerald green beauty was tough to read flavor-wise and provided very few clues as to what was in store for me during my smoke. Immediately upon touching the cigar to my lips I noticed the unique texture of the wrapper. Very soft and velvety. Unlike any I've smoked to date and I'd say of the most enjoyable traits of this cigar. That along with the firm but not-too-stiff composition of the stick as a whole made it a pleasure to hold both in my mouth and my fingers.

Heres a better look at the wrapper. Strangely I noticed that there was some writing visisble on the wrapper. I could make out 'Flor Fina 858' just slightly darker on the light colored wrapper. Also the wrapper is a shade darker where the band was. Can anyone explain this for me?

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyway. This cigar was fairly consistent throughout the first two thirds. Very mild and smooth with the primary flavor being that of sweet grass. Excellent draw and consistent burn. Plenty of smoke that I would describe more as silky than creamy. Almost no spice and a little bitterness. Other reviews I've read of candelas have hinted at the bitterness being a drawback but I found it quite pleasant. If you can handle a sharp IPA this cigar shouldn't offend you.

As I sat on my deck and smoked, found myself transported back 20 years to my uncles Michigan hunting camp. He an my dad would smoke cigars and would allow us kids to sneak a puff every now and then. Perhaps they were candelas as well? No other cigar has triggered this memory for me.

Moving on. The last third continued to burn evenly although I experienced a bit more heat. The bitterness increased just slightly while staying securely in the mild range. The sweet grass flavor shifted to that of warm hay, reminding me a sunlit barn loft with the soft smell of hay dust in the air.

I smoked this one to the nub and was pleasantly surprised to find a most tolerable and almost enjoyable finish that's still lingering as I write this. I often find myself reaching for a stiff beverage or a toothbrush beat back the cigar breath that follows many more potent smokes but just like smoke itself, the aftertaste of this cigar is very mild and very much resembles the flavor of the cigar.

All in all I was impressed by this Fuente. I will concede that it won't be enjoyed by everyone but it certainly struck a chord with me. The mild and grassy notes found within make it perfect for a hot summer afternoon and I'm sure I'll be resupplying my humi with a few more of these as well as searching out some other candelas to try.

Thanks for reading!

One more pic of the green

[IMG][/IMG]

Puffer Fish with many spikes Passprotection's Avatar

Re: Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela

Thanks for the review. Man I love me some A Fuente's!

This is my first Fuente. I've got a Hemingway Signature sitting in my humi that I might try later.

Stranger ina strange land RTChallenger13's Avatar

Fuente's are excellent cigars, especially for those who enjoy mild to medium strength.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Nicely done! The writing is likely some uneven fading from the cello wrapper that was on there; maybe candela wrappers are unusually sensitive to light, and whatever lighting to which the cigar was exposed led to the results you saw. (I can tell you that all 858s have a cello wrapper with "flor fina 8-5-8" written on it in gold leaf.)

Newbie in the ocean

Excellent review! Great pictures as well. I am looking forward to smoking one of these as soon as possible. Keep up the good work!

cigar master

858's is one of my favourite fuentes...GREAT sticks and a great price. My favourite is the sun grown...I only have 2 left......

Thanks for all the replies guys! Any other candelas you can recommend? DapperGent, welcome to the forums!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hubby's Avatar

Great review... Very well written.. Might have to try a couple of these, just to off of the normal path!!!! Thanks!
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci

Puffer Fish with some spikes alexcue's Avatar

Great review! I've had several of the 8-5-8 Candelas and they are very consistent. I've only had trouble with the band sticking to the wrapper,and candelas are very thin. I've had the AB Black Market Filthy Hooligan (candela wrapper), but i wouldn't describe it as the same as the 8-5-8. I found it very potent in comparison.
    I've had the RP The Edge Candela also, checking my notes, and my only complaint was the loose draw. Of the three the 8-5-8 was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by alexcue View Post
    Great review! I've had several of the 8-5-8 Candelas and they are very consistent. I've only had trouble with the band sticking to the wrapper,and candelas are very thin. I've had the AB Black Market Filthy Hooligan (candela wrapper), but i wouldn't describe it as the same as the 8-5-8. I found it very potent in comparison.
    I've had the RP The Edge Candela also, checking my notes, and my only complaint was the loose draw. Of the three the 8-5-8 was the best.
    Thanks for your thoughts on those other candelas. I actually just received an RP The Edge candela in the mail yesterday along with an Argyle candela (this one should be interesting). Gonna let em rest for a week or so before tying them out. I'd love to try one of the Filthy Hooligans if they are around next time I make an order. I've found them on one or two sites but I don't wanna pay $8 for one and then almost that much again for shipping. Glad I have a ready source for the 8-5-8

Full grown Puffer Fish stevodenteufel's Avatar

If you ever get the chance be sure to try to Camacho candelas, the taste was pretty similar to what you described but with a light crisp sweetness to it, easily one of my favorites.

Conscientious Objector Cardinal's Avatar

Nice review, thanks.

Makes me want to try a candela myself.
    Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki, but something much worse comes for you. For when you die, it will be...without honor - Splinter

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to have to try to hunt down one of those Camachos to try.