Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

La Palina Mr. Sam - Noob Reviewer

This is a discussion on La Palina Mr. Sam - Noob Reviewer within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Hey guys, this is just a quick review on the new Mr. Sam that debuted at IPCPR this year... Just ...

La Palina Mr. Sam - Noob Reviewer

Hey guys, this is just a quick review on the new Mr. Sam that debuted at IPCPR this year... Just a few ROTT notes.

Size: 4.75x54 Robusto
    Availability: 850 boxes of 10 produced
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    My price: $10

So this is just for anyone who was thinking about picking one of these up (or two boxes in my case) and is curious about it. Me personally, I'm no pro, and this is my first review so I'll just add some general notes.

Construction: very solid, smooth with some veins in the wrapper, good consistent color. I love the precision in the triple cap.

Cold draw: Again I'm not too good with flavors, but this one is definitely a little more bold than the Goldie 2 and 5, I cut just above the 1st cap and it has a pretty open draw, I like it.

Aroma: Definitely picking up earthiness on this one, probably some cedar and leather.

1st 3rd: Yep, the 1st third definitely reflects the initial thoughts. Definitely more mild-full than the Goldies, and even a bit more than the Little Bill. Good bit of earthiness with a bit of pepper on the back of the palette.

2nd 3rd: Starting to smooth out some as far as flavor boldness, still getting the same flavor profile but it has backed off on the power. I think this will be good after it readjusts RH

3rd 3rd: I don't know where this part went, not so much that it smoked fast. Just that this part was really smokable, nice even draw. Got a little bit of hay coming in as compared to the cedar/leather/pepper. but if I look for it those nuances are still there.

Wrap up: I'd say overall I was pretty satisfied with this one having just arrived in my Humi, and with some rest they'll definitely come around more. I did have a small tunneling issue twice that needed correction, but not bad by any means. Overall smoke time I'd say was probably 1.5 hrs, but I tend to smoke slow. I've had a few where I regretted a box, but this one isn't one at all. Definitely worth a go if you have the opportunity. I just have to compare the price to some similar smokes and might reach for one of those because of the price.

Well, that's all I have for my first cigar review as I don't consider myself a pro by any means. I hope this intrigues you guys to maybe try this, or to let it go. Ultimately everyone's experience is different and this is just my

Good night and have a good weekend, all!
    Rule #32. Enjoy the Little Things

Full grown Puffer Fish

Re: La Palina Mr. Sam - Noob Reviewer

Thanks for the review, I had never heard of these. Now I want to try one.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hubby's Avatar

Nice review Eric.. I might have to look into a couple of these.. Thanks!
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks for the review... There are only 850 boxes of ten out there. We sold out in the first day and a half at the show... Maria Sierra rolled them all at El Titan de Bronze in Miami. I managed to snag a box for myself... Cant wait ti try them as they age. The ones that I have smoked were the first rolled and were reminiscent of the original 1896s we had in 2010... Again, thanks for the review and keep reviewing... Andy La Palina Cigars CA Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Hubby View Post
    Nice review Eric.. I might have to look into a couple of these.. Thanks!
    I only know of one place that still has them online. If you want I could let ya know. The guys I buy from are now out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Man Andy View Post
    Thanks for the review... There are only 850 boxes of ten out there. We sold out in the first day and a half at the show... Maria Sierra rolled them all at El Titan de Bronze in Miami. I managed to snag a box for myself... Cant wait ti try them as they age. The ones that I have smoked were the first rolled and were reminiscent of the original 1896s we had in 2010... Again, thanks for the review and keep reviewing... Andy La Palina Cigars CA Rep
    Thanks for the positive remarks Andy! Makes me feel pretty nice to actually hear from a rep. Much appreciated. Enjoy your weekend Gentlemen!
    -Erik
    Rule #32. Enjoy the Little Things