Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Professor Sila Review

This is a discussion on Professor Sila Review within the Non-Habanos Reviews forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I succumbed to a daily special from CI and bought a box of these Robustos. Got ten free with a ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes vtdragon's Avatar

Professor Sila Review

I succumbed to a daily special from CI and bought a box of these Robustos. Got ten free with a box so it was a good price, 30 sticks for less than $45 including shipping.

Opened em up, they look good, nice even wrapper, feels like a nice tight roll, smell very nice, kinda cedar-like.

Made cut, and put in mouth to light, wow is that sweet ... they have a similar endcap to Baccarat, quite sweet to the taste, I assume they stick the endcap on with a sweet gum - makes me drool. Lit it up and got a pleasant mouthful of light gray, aromatic smoke. Nice easy draw, very pleasant aroma, light, subtle cedar-like taste. This is a very mild smoke.

First third is very nice - a quite mild aromatic smoke with a tight gray/white ash that stays put. Tastes sweet and cedarlike. I'm wondering at this point why these are so cheap.

At half-way the sugary taste of the end cap has subsided, the taste is a bit stronger, but still mild. The ash is still hanging in there, but the cigar is starting to heat up. I'm thinking that maybe I'm puffing too fast so I slow down, have a drink and read some more about my beloved Pats training camp. Yes, that helps, still a bit warm but not overpowering. Feeling that familiar tingle on the tip of my tongue.

Last third deteriorates somewhat, no sweetness left in cap and the heat is bumped up a notch. It remains quite mild though. The construction of this cigar is first rate, the end held together very well, in spite of my excessive drool, the wrapper remained together throughout and the ash was such that you could try for some of those "long ash pictures" some gorrillas are fond of.

Overall an 8.8 on my scale of 10. I like mild smokes and this one fits the bill for a very reasonable price. The only negative about it is how it heats up about half way through. For that price thought, there is no reason to smke to the nub. I'll be bringing the box with me to the coast of Maine on vacation next week and expect to smoke most of 'em.

He who types in the dark Andyman's Avatar

Re: Professor Sila

These were made in the late 90's - one of the boom brands that failed. I beleive the quit making them around 1999-2000 so they have some age on them. I got a 5 er from C-bid and they were dried out pieces of crap. Others have had better luck...
    [SIZE="3"]Lifes short, HERF often..[/SIZE]

I haven't thought about these in quite a while. All I remember is them being extremely mild, pretty boring, and occasionally very "ashy" tasting.

If you like mild smokes and the price is right, though...
    [SIZE="1"]For Rent[/SIZE]

These are a "new" old brand. During the boom they weren't half bad, like many cigars at that time they were way overpriced. Years ago CI had a clearance on the old ones. At clearance prices they were a good value. I remember the construction was excellent with a very mild flavor. Perfect for a morning smoke.
    The cigars have been "re-released" by CI. They must have bought the brand along with the old closeouts.
    Thanks for the review, I almost went for some of these myself. I think I'll pass. Muchas Gracias.
    "That's a big smokin' 'gar Uncle Kitty"
    - My Nephew Matthew, age 3

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    These were made in the late 90's - one of the boom brands that failed. I beleive the quit making them around 1999-2000 so they have some age on them. I got a 5 er from C-bid and they were dried out pieces of crap. Others have had better luck...
    Those were the white band ones, and before the 90s they were made in the Canary Islands. Certain vitolas in the white bands were good (the lil ones such as perlas) as they weren't quite soo mild; others were as you say...

The new blue band ones just came out and have sweetened tips. I don't understand why they would reintroduce a new cigar under such a bad cigar name though..

A blurp from one of the head dogs at C-Bid:

"The new Profesor Sila is very different than the cigars you might remember from years ago.

This cigar is now made by Manuel Quesada, maker of Fonseca, Cu-Avana, Joya de Nicaragua, and Cubita."

I have a fiver that should arrive tomorrow. I'm curious to try them.

I picked up a 5er from CBid a bit ago. Resting in my cooler. I'm certainly curious to try them out, and will try to have one in the next week or two.
    It's time for a new signature. What should it be?

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Iceman's Avatar

Thanks for the review. I succumbed and bought a box of Churchills on C-bid the other day. I was looking for a nice mild, and cheap, cigar to take to the golf course. Looking forward to giving them a shot.
    Rick

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first". - Ronald Reagan

He who types in the dark Andyman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by txmatt View Post
    Those were the white band ones, and before the 90s they were made in the Canary Islands. Certain vitolas in the white bands were good (the lil ones such as perlas) as they weren't quite soo mild; others were as you say...

The new blue band ones just came out and have sweetened tips. I don't understand why they would reintroduce a new cigar under such a bad cigar name though..
    Ooooooh... yah, I have the white banded ones..
    [SIZE="3"]Lifes short, HERF often..[/SIZE]

No longer a community member.

Got a fiver of these a few weeks back for $3.00 on CB. Let them sit for a while, and I must say I really enjoy it. The sweetened cap is just okay, but the cigar albeit mild has a nice cedar taste and beautiful white ash. Very smooth cigar. Not a lot of complexity, but good nonetheless.