Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Random Rant Thread

This is a discussion on Random Rant Thread within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; She's on her way to being another Joe the Plumber! I'm reminded of a friend of mine who was an ...

Re: Random Rant Thread

She's on her way to being another Joe the Plumber! I'm reminded of a friend of mine who was an airline pilot. Every time a pilot got into a car wreck, was pulled over for speeding or some other vehicular violation, they'd put in the paper with the comment, "airline pilot". He must have pointed to the violations in the newspaper half a dozen times in a year, and sure enough, "Gerald Speedwagon, 38, airline pilot, failure to keep, right. $200." And he'd start his rant: "See that? Right there, 'airline pilot'." What do these other people do for a living? Janitors? Fan dancers? I don't see any, 'John Drivewell, ACCOUNTANT' in there! And look! Look! I know this guy down here. I know this guy. He's a real estate agent, lives down the street. So why isn't it, 'Fred Windel, real estate broker?' It's always, AIRLINE PILOT!!"

Just passing on a funny, running rant from yesterday.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Again, upstate and central NY don't seem to matter. The freeze last night apparently will destroy a lot of the peaches, apples and pears the region produces, but in a list of states that includes practically every single state in the union north of Texas and East of Idaho except NY, the dire effects of trees budding too early have been detailed. A few years back, we had an ice storm that knocked power out for thousands. People had to move into motels, some for several months, to keep working at the base. The damage to trees and homes was awful. It was an ice storm the likes of which is not often seen anywhere on the planet. Not a word on the national news about inches deep ice. And it didn't thaw for weeks. A day or two after the event, NY City got a bunch of snow and they just couldn't talk about it enough. Basically, if it doesn't impact NY City, it didn't happen in NY. I'm pretty sure that if a terrorist attack wiped out a million people in Central NY it wouldn't be newsworthy.

Not really a rant, because it doesn't actually bother me at all. Not nearly as much as "soft spike" golf shoes. The people who thought those up deserve time in the Big House, along with the deadheads who made it illegal to tamp down spike marks. If it weren't for that stupid rule, without question the most ridiculous rule in the book, nobody would have ever even thought of them.

Sippin' in the sticks leanpockets's Avatar

While being in danger of sounding like the late great George Carlin "these are a few people who need to be disemboweled with a wooden cooking spoon and left bleeding in the moonlight."
    the people who look at you like you are the scum of the earth if you say "howdy" to them in wal-mart i really have no clue who shit in their cereal but Come on. Compounding that the "our children are too young even though they are 16 committee" who all think that the average teenager these days has absolutely no idea what Penthouse is

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leanpockets View Post
    While being in danger of sounding like the late great George Carlin "these are a few people who need to be disemboweled with a wooden cooking spoon and left bleeding in the moonlight."
    the people who look at you like you are the scum of the earth if you say "howdy" to them in wal-mart i really have no clue who shit in their cereal but Come on. Compounding that the "our children are too young even though they are 16 committee" who all think that the average teenager these days has absolutely no idea what Penthouse is
    There are guys my age that don't know what Penthouse is. Unless they had Dads or friend's Dads that kept a few in a box of "Camping Gear."

The internet equivalent of that though? Totally agree. Every guy grows up sometime. Sons need to be raised by fathers too. Young men don't know how to spit, swear, and fight anymore. Shame, really.

Quote Originally Posted by leanpockets View Post
    Compounding that the "our children are too young even though they are 16 committee" who all think that the average teenager these days has absolutely no idea what Penthouse is
    They don't know what Penthouse is. Why buy magazines when you can just go online?
    Enabler, Philosopher and Resident Imbiber

I think the "Penthouse" reference was merely a symbolic reference, but agree on the idea that the US has become a genuine "nanny state" in a real, not just political, way. It seems to me that sex is ALL they know about, but without any of the the nitty gritty about how to keep from getting pregnant (or getting somebody else pregant) or catching some gross STD.

I believe we're fast headed for a pidgin English. With the help of twitter, scrolllbar TV headlines and the collapse of liberal arts studies in high school and college, wherein one no longer has to read and write beyond a 4rd grade level to take a PhD. English will join Latin as an extinct language. What will remain will still be called English but, with a nod to the iphone, thenceforth be known as nglsh. Listening to golf this weekend focused my attention on the ever-more-popular use of verbs as nouns, as in "He got a teach from Petterson's putt." Admittedly, we would have called it a "read" in days gone by, which is almost the same, but instances of this usage were far more rare. Today I read that Samsung is going to make a big "reveal" about their new tablet/iphone or whatever. "They had a big spend over the holidays." Repellant. I now realize that I have heard the usage everywhere recently, name your verb, and I really hate it. I hate it almost as much as the word "gay" having completely lost the meaning it had even 50 years ago. Sadly, there are no other words in the language that express what "gay" once did, so English is literally () poorer for its loss. Oh...I guess that's what we would now call "a lose".

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Oh...I guess that's what we would now call "a lose".
    Be careful with that! Someone might pick up on it and further degrade it into "a loose"! Ack! Just thinking about it is like fingernails on a chalkboard!

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Be careful with that! Someone might pick up on it and further degrade it into "a loose"! Ack! Just thinking about it is like fingernails on a chalkboard!
    You know, I did think about that when I wrote the sentence. Just thought I'd add another to the list of verbs as nouns that I REALLY REALLY HATE.. "Fail". This is recent, no more than a few years, but is now omnipresent, like kudzu in Mississippi. It's as if words like "failure" or "gaffe" no longer exist, as if the concept of error has been waiting since prehistory for the right word to express it, and now that we have this new word, it shows up everywhere: wedding fail, dinner fail, tree fail, nose fail, memo fail, dog fail, diaper fail...civilization fail.

language fail?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RupturedDuck's Avatar

language fail?
    PWNED!!!!

language fail?

You're nicer than I am. I'd pick it up once, and stuff it through their mail slot, followed by a note telling them the next time it comes through a broken window.

It actually helps in that case, because there's an asynchronous pause in the rotation that gives you a much better chance of getting the ball into the clown's mouth for a free replay. Put all the gum you want on the windmill blades.

As I look across the street, there they are -- the topless garbage cans. In my 27 years at this address, I have never once lost a garbage can lid. Have I had to walk down the street to find it when the wind was blowing? Yes, and have found them in bushes, along the road and in people's yards, but it's never been like a quest for the Holy Grail or anything. I mean, how hard can it be to find a garbage can lid? Those people are LAZY!! Without the tops (never mind that they produce entirely too much garbage!! ), the crows get in there and tear open the bags. The prevailing wind now deposits food wrappers, tissues and all manner of wind blown plastic and paper detritus into my yard that I have to pick up. When the garbage truck has taken away their crap, there's always a pile of spilled trash around the cans. Do they pick it up? Hell no, they just leave it there until the wind blows it into street and into other people's yards. LAZY SLOBS!
    Xbox Gamertag: BADF1NGER

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Finger View Post
    You're nicer than I am. I'd pick it up once, and stuff it through their mail slot, followed by a note telling them the next time it comes through a broken window.
    Hmmm...no mail slots in this neighborhood. Although it's illegal to put non-US mail stuff in one, his postbox does seem to be a proper depository for the next used sanitary napkin that winds up in my yard. (The crows find these very interesting, even if inedible.) Good idea, Clancy!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

I believe we're fast headed for a pidgin English. With the help of twitter, scrolllbar TV headlines and the collapse of liberal arts studies in high school and college, wherein one no longer has to read and write beyond a 4rd grade level to take a PhD. English will join Latin as an extinct language. What will remain will still be called English but, with a nod to the iphone, thenceforth be known as nglsh. Listening to golf this weekend focused my attention on the ever-more-popular use of verbs as nouns, as in "He got a teach from Petterson's putt." Admittedly, we would have called it a "read" in days gone by, which is almost the same, but instances of this usage were far more rare. Today I read that Samsung is going to make a big "reveal" about their new tablet/iphone or whatever. "They had a big spend over the holidays." Repellant. I now realize that I have heard the usage everywhere recently, name your verb, and I really hate it. I hate it almost as much as the word "gay" having completely lost the meaning it had even 50 years ago. Sadly, there are no other words in the language that express what "gay" once did, so English is literally () poorer for its loss. Oh...I guess that's what we would now call "a lose".
    I think this is a symptom of the decline of literacy in this country. 200 years ago a person could go to school in a one room schoolhouse and come out of it at 17 years old with a command of latin or greek, the ability to write a letter or essay with correct spelling and punctuation, and a grasp of algebra and geometry that would make Descartes proud. Ben Franklin saw unlimited potential in the communication a printing press made available. Now my local newspaper has reduced itself to three sections, doubling up several that used to be individual. On Mondays it is roughly the thickness of a silver age comic book. I have actually heard "Did you read all these" more than once when bringing a contemporary into my house and having them see the built in bookshelves in the living room...

Society fail?

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast