Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Random Rant Thread

This is a discussion on Random Rant Thread within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; doing the dozens Geez Mark, I had to look that up but I agree nonetheless....

Re: Random Rant Thread

doing the dozens
    Geez Mark, I had to look that up but I agree nonetheless.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    ...doing the dozens, and it's just become a hopeless mess.
    I had to look it up, too, Warren. All true, though. Crossfire and The McLaughlin Group gradually ramped up the vitriol over the years, to mention purely political shows. Downey, instigating fights by revealing heretofore unsuspected marital problems ("Did you know that Larry spends Saturday nights at a sheep farm?"), definitely established a new TV "tone".
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Just reading something in New Scientist provokes me to add one more thing to the education rant -- music instruction has withered away. I think this partly explains why music with scarcely enough complexity to keep the mind alive now prevails -- not to mention lyrics. Learning to play an instrument organizes the mind in remarkable ways, ways that add to our ability to solve all manner of problems, helping us to deal with frustration among the least of the benefits. The narrow minded removal of music from school curricula in favor of whatever, or at least the de-emphasis of musical skills, leaves us with a population of musical barbarians, so to speak. Music instruction is almost certainly more valuable than calculus for any but the student bound for a career in "hard science". I have "complained" here about calculus classes, but I think calculus could be eliminated completely from high school with no negative effects whatsoever. Do you really think your doctor or lawyer has any use for calculus whatsoever, not to speak of plumbers, corporate CEOs or politician? Frankly, I think obligatory music instruction would serve far better in focusing student's minds and training them to think logically than even algebra. While used algebra and calculus in a sort of backass way as a scientific programmer, I certainly don't whip out the differential equations in my daily life and know that the vast majority of computer professionals make no use of advanced math whatsoever.

This leads into my rant for the day: Children and adults in commercials who can't sing a lick. Statistically speaking, most people can carry a tune reasonably well, even a capella, so we can assume that the people creating the commercials find people who CAN'T sing -- which is annoying. I suppose it's to make the listeners feel better about themselves and hence better about the product. "Even I can sing better than that!" And then there's the diet commercial, with the woman proudly belting out some horrific tune. (She can carry a tune, but her voice is like having molten lead poured in your ear; if you can't actually do Aretha Franklin, don't even attempt it, okay?) I often wonder if the little kids singing together have to do retakes because they sounded too good the first take. Kids singing completely off key probably make mothers think good about a product too: "My kids can sing better than that!" It's "cute" when the other parents' kids are stupider and less talented than your own, I suppose.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RupturedDuck's Avatar

I, for one, think the decline in taste of music comes from the music publishing companies' control of the industry. If it were that anyone talented could be recognized and compensated without paying dues (and monies) to the music industry, what havoc that would wreck on the status quo! Instead, mainstream emphasizes who is dating who, who called who a "dirty tramp," who cheated on their bf/gf/spouse with the nanny, etc. These are the people that are important enough to have music careers. The rest of the formula is throw in some random song written by a lacky, add some musical production from the team owned by your studio, and put it out there. Content isn't that important.

So, to make it in the music industry the first step is to start cheating on your gf? Not exactly. If you started cheating on your gf, she would find out, and her and her friends would all hate you and think you are a big jerk. The rest of the world could care less. You could send a press release to Perez Hilton, but that would be promptly ignored. On the other hand, People Magazine appantely thinks that it is printable news that "Goyte" whispered something into Lauren Conrad's ear that caused her to "smile sweetly." Ooh! Big news! Now every sheep that happens across this article has to try to find out who Goyte and Lauren Conrad are. The next time they hear "Goyte" on the radio, they now associate this with the fact that he once made the girl from "The Hills" "smile sweetly" (yes, I had to look that up). The reason this is news but not you cheating on your gf? Because it came from Universal Republic records.

So, artists sign with the labels so that they can have the press leak when they cheat on their girlfriends, gaining them notoriety, then popularity. It used to be that the independent artist would justify signing with a label for studio time. Due to advances in recording equipment, today anyone with a decent job can afford a recording setup in their apartment that would rival that used to record "Abbey Road." A random group of teenages could produce the next "Sticky Fingers" in their parents garage. Publicity is the control that labels have on the industry, and so the focus is removed from the actual music.

From a product consumption standpoint, this might actually be a good thing. Consider pipe tobacco. Most B&Ms have shelves of bulk tobaccos, some mixed in a back room, but all named in house. Consider these bulk tobaccos as the "independent artist." On this site, we like to talk about the properties of Stonehaven ("U2"), Full Virginia Flake ("Madonna") and Penzance ("Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch"). Sometimes we talk about lesser known tobaccos that are still widely available if you know where to look: Plum Pudding ("Ryan Adams"), Two Friends English Chocolate ("Pete Yorn"). But it isn't that interesting to talk about Toast of the 90s, a tobacco that my tobacconist mixed (i.e. Random singer songwriter that played last Friday at the "Wet Noodle") because although it may be the best tobacco I've ever had (it isn't) the only relavent points that any of you could take away from my discussion on the subject would be that Rupturedduck smoked a tobacco that he really liked and that you would never smoke. By limiting mass musical consumption to the few artists that are publicized by the major labels, a frame of reference is established that we can discuss our impressions of the product with folks who weren't at the Wet Noodle last Friday.

RD

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Just reading something in New Scientist provokes me to add one more thing to the education rant -- music instruction has withered away. I think this partly explains why music with scarcely enough complexity to keep the mind alive now prevails -- not to mention lyrics. Learning to play an instrument organizes the mind in remarkable ways, ways that add to our ability to solve all manner of problems, helping us to deal with frustration among the least of the benefits. The narrow minded removal of music from school curricula in favor of whatever, or at least the de-emphasis of musical skills, leaves us with a population of musical barbarians, so to speak. Music instruction is almost certainly more valuable than calculus for any but the student bound for a career in "hard science". I have "complained" here about calculus classes, but I think calculus could be eliminated completely from high school with no negative effects whatsoever. Do you really think your doctor or lawyer has any use for calculus whatsoever, not to speak of plumbers, corporate CEOs or politician? Frankly, I think obligatory music instruction would serve far better in focusing student's minds and training them to think logically than even algebra. .
    I understand the point you are making regarding the value of music, particularly introduced early in life. But I think you may be understating the value of math. Calculus would seem to be the extreme example, but if your job does any statistical analysis, even as indirectly as forecasting your money or material needs for a small business, than those skills are valuable. I WANT my doctor to be firmly grounded in the hard sciences, and to be intimately familiar with the theory as well as the practice.
    For a specific example, I clearly remember working my way through proofs in geometry and trigonometry and thinking "When am I ever going to use this?". Now as a PM/estimator in the construction trades the answer is "every single day". And that follows right down to our field employees, try making a penetration flashing at a 3-1/2:12 pitch that's round and level on the top from a flat piece of metal. If you can't define "arc", "chord", and "cosine" you cannot do it. A field employee with a firm grasp of high school geometry makes 4-5 dollars an hour more than one who does not. Pi are squared jokes aside, the logical and organizational skills I learned in higher math affect my work every day of my life. Slightly more esoteric, the grasp of even Newtonian physics changed the way I look at the world. A child knows what gravity is, but I understand the relationship between falling 30 feet a second (9.8 m/s iirc) and weight.

Music is certainly critical in human life, and has been since we could hit a log with a stick, but I don't see it as an either/or proposition. To be the best human being you can be you should be able to solve a quadratic AND feel your brain quiver when you hear Edith Piaf start singing (insert your own current muse of course, I almost went Leslie Feist there)

I think it's too much to say that the only thing the Beatles had going for them was publicity and the press hounding after them all the time. They were actually pretty interesting. Sometimes people get all the business because they have the best product. Once George Martin took over the arrangements and orchestration, you really had something nobody else could come up with, sort of like the US Olympics basketball teams of old. (Martin played piano on quite a few of their hits, BTW, Lady Madonna for instance, providing about 75% of the punch that that tune delivers. Talk about the Fifth Beatle! sheesh. Look no further.) Disk jockies weren't being paid to play the Beatles, like they were, say, to spin up Pat Boone doing (I gag on using the word "singing" in this context) Tutti Fruiti. (Talk about a drag. Wow.) And Little Richard made it despite nobody playing him on "white" radio for racial reasons -- we got Pat Boone in Savannah. I'm not saying what you describe doesn't happen, and I'll another slant -- Nancy Sinatra. We have to be subjected to Nancy Sinatra so somebody, somewhere along the line gets to schmooz with Ol' Blue Eyes? It borders on a human rights violation.

I'm not looking for better performers, they're certainly out there. I'm looking for better informed listeners. Most people would get absolutely nothing out of this guitar solo, for example. But it's an amazing thing, and Christian Haimel, perforce, an amazing person, as well as the person who wrote it. I'd estimate that 80% or more of the population would find this piece of music boring or even unpleasant, and I'd go further to guess that the only ones who would care for it play musical instruments themselves.

Sonatina - Allegretto (Federico Moreno Torroba) - Christian Haimel - YouTube

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Xodar's Avatar

Haha, I do not play, but I found that clip fascinating. It was hard for me to listen to it and watch his fret fingers at the same time though, lol. That's very impressive.

Ooh, I wasn't clear. I only mentioned the Beatles as a comparison of available technology. All four of the Beatles were excellent musicians and wrote some amazing songs. And the orchestration of their later works shows enviable talent in and of itself. Another thing that may surprise today's recording artists is that the Beatles did not individually record tracks. They went into the studio having rehearsed and prepared to play the music, and knocked the songs out together. I only mentioned the Beatles in my post to point out that in theory, any group of schmoes could create an album in their basement as timeless as some of the Beatle's albums if the only concern was equipment, not talent.

That being said, the Beatles were the boy band of our time. Can you imagine N-Sync or the Backstreet Boys maturing from their bubblegum created sound to writing timeless albums?

As far as Christian Haiman is concerned...if you think his fret hand is amazing, pay attnetion to his right hand. To me, that is pure magic.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by RupturedDuck View Post
    As far as Christian Haiman is concerned...if you think his fret hand is amazing, pay attnetion to his right hand. To me, that is pure magic.

RD
    In classical guitar, "The left hand is the gymnast, the right hand is the dancer." The rhythm, tone quality, dynamics, and phrasing come almost exclusively from the plucking hand.

I'm going to bitch about golfers again. Played the other day with one of those jerks that fish the ball out of the hole with their putters, damaging the edge with the shaft. I'd much rather they ask me to get their ball because they had a bad back, I really would. Just because you're hurt doesn't give you an excuse to tear up the golf course. And this guy wasn't even hurt.

I'm going to bitch about golfers again. Played the other day with one of those jerks that fish the ball out of the hole with their putters, damaging the edge with the shaft. I'd much rather they ask me to get their ball because they had a bad back, I really would. Just because you're hurt doesn't give you an excuse to tear up the golf course. And this guy wasn't even hurt.
    Jim, if you and I ever played golf together, I am sure that I would unwittingly cause you all sorts of anguish.

Don't fish ball out of hole with putter...check. I'm not sure I'm adept enough with my putter to pick a ball out of the hole with it anyway.

I think some responsibility belongs to putter manufacturers that make the little scoop out of the backside of putters, inspiring those less conscious of golf etiquette to use their putters to avoid bending over.

RD

I think some responsibility belongs to putter manufacturers that make the little scoop out of the backside of putters, inspiring those less conscious of golf etiquette to use their putters to avoid bending over.

RD
    Actually, the little suction cup thing is fine. It's the ones who scrape and gouge and dig and, being basically inept at getting it out of the hole, A) take forever and B) destroy the hole.

With decades of league golf and "regular foursomes", there are legions of player out there who have basically never played with a golfer knowledgeable about course etiquette. When I was learning the game, there were ample opportunities to play with better players, because there was nothing allowed but foursomes off the tee. If you had three, you couldn't even tee off until you dug up a fourth, and that fourth could as easily be a really good player who came to the course late or a total duffer who would now learn some course etiquette. In any case, golf manners got distributed through the golfing population. Now it's pretty much restricted to froo-froo courses.

Can you imagine N-Sync or the Backstreet Boys maturing from their bubblegum created sound to writing timeless albums?
    What makes it even more amazing to me is that the N-Sync-style bands are already older than the Beatles were when they wrote all of those amazing, timeless albums. The Beatles songwriting matured very quickly, to the point that it almost wasn't natural.

Also, Jim wouldn't want to play golf with me. I'm an oaf on the course.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    What makes it even more amazing to me is that the N-Sync-style bands are already older than the Beatles were when they wrote all of those amazing, timeless albums. The Beatles songwriting matured very quickly, to the point that it almost wasn't natural.
    Well they may not have made song writers, but Marky Mark (imho) did make a decent actor.

RD
    Last edited by RupturedDuck; 05-07-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    Also, Jim wouldn't want to play golf with me. I'm an oaf on the course.
    I'm not sure how to take that. If you care to learn how to stay out of people's line (both in front of and behind -- it's in the rule book, but that doesn't matter to anybody either), tend on the correct side of the flagstick, not take practice divots out of the fairway or tee, hold still and shut up while other people are hitting, be ready to play when it's your turn, then you wouldn't bother me a bit. I'll just ask you not to do action "A" or "B" and then you'll know and stop doing it. If you're content being a golf barbarian, then I probably wouldn't enjoy playing with you. Part of the enjoyment of golf is that it isn't hockey or baseball, so you expect not to be interfered with when you play. I'd guess that at least half of the people who play the game right now don't think anything of talking on your backswing, walking directly behind you while you're chipping, or standing directly behind you swinging a club while you're trying to hit a tee shot. It's "unmanly" and "sissy" and "putty buttish" to worry about such things, after all, since "real athletes", say football players, do everything possible to disturb their opponents. Any incidental botheration you cause by simply being oblivious and not making any effort whatsoever to play golf "as it should be played" is "no fun". After all, if you really consider yourself (or any of the people you're playing with) "real golfers", then you're obviously not "really playing" golf, so anything goes. After all, stupid ideas like "leave the course better than you found it" have no meaning if you have no respect for the game. Most Americans think being polite on the course is a bore. Courtesy to the opponent is all but verboten in most sports, but the tradition of golf is that it's a "gentleman's game". Laugh all you want after I miss it and I'll laugh along and pop another beer? For me, the simple courtesies of the game are like not playing your boombox in the library or avoiding running bicyclers off the road, but we have plenty of people who feel they have the right to listen to music when and where they please and that bicyclers all deserve anything bad that happens to them. If they're trying to shoot a good score, it's just not your problem, you can behave any way you like on the course, and it's not your course, so tearing it up doesn't really matter to you. Constant screaming that intrudes on the groups around and makes their games unpleasant is "their problem" -- THEY'RE wrong, because they want to play golf instead of "Pasture field hockey."

I'm not sure how to take that.
    I was ribbing you! I'm far from discourteous and I realize that golf isn't full-contact, but that doesn't detract from the years and years of baseball playing that invade my golf game.

To put it bluntly, I can't swing correctly nor can I look gentlemanly while on the course. It's just not my game. Also, I tipped a golf cart once which led to me being expelled from the course. Let me just say, they aren't trail rated.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast