Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Random Rant Thread

This is a discussion on Random Rant Thread within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by DSturg369 I don't play golf, and I'm not really sure why. I played a few times in ...

Re: Random Rant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DSturg369 View Post
    I don't play golf, and I'm not really sure why. I played a few times in my youth, and enjoyed it well enough I suppose, but just never really got into it. Nowadays, I don't watch or enjoy "ball sports"... Football, baseball, basketball, soccer, nor hockey or any of the arena type games. I contribute this to the $$$ and the cry-babying that accompanies it from today's players. I'm more of the outdoors man, enjoying hunting, fishing, shooting, archery, camping, and those sort of things. Sitting around a campfire with a good cigar or a bowl of choice tobacco after a day in the wild is just something magical to me. Without such things, a man can forget what he is and where he comes from. Wild places liberate the soul and keep the fires of sanity kindled.
    Oh man Dale, you just reminded me that it has been forever since I camped out. Thankyou good Sir as this is now on the holiday agenda in the near future. Believe me I need a holiday.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by DSturg369 View Post
    Wild places liberate the soul and keep the fires of sanity kindled.
    Inversnaid -- Gerard Manley Hopkins

This darksome burn, horseback brown,
    His rollrock highroad roaring down,
    In coop and in comb the fleece of his foam
    Flutes and low to the lake falls home.

A windpuff-bonnet of fawn-froth
    Turns and twindles over the broth
    Of a pool so pitchblack, fell-frowning,
    It rounds and rounds Despair to drowning.

Degged with dew, dappled with dew,
    Are the groins of the braes that the brook treads through,
    Wiry heathpacks, flitches of fern,
    And the beadbonny ash that sits over the burn.

What would the world be, once bereft
    Of wet and wildness? Let them be left,
    O let them be left, wildness and wet;
    Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I thought I'd poke the embers of this moribund thread to see if any further spleen could be elicited (not everything here is in that category by any means; some is rather upbeat. That'll have to be dealt with...) Lord knows I've got enough of my own and my anger seems to love company.

I've only read a couple of pages and discovered that I may need to take up golf despite my having actively avoided it so far. A game with many rules of etiquette? Plenty of opportunity to be angered by their breach? Sounds ideal. Why did no-one ever tell me this? I'm OUTRAGED!!!
    Last edited by steinr1; 02-26-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

OK, I thought I could avoid it for a while, but no, the black choler spills over...

I was reminded of an "encounter" in a local supermarket recently by the earlier "hands-free phone freakishness" debate (THANKS). A "lady" was loudly discussing some "woman's matters" with "the air" (the freakishness of hands-free...) at the fresh chicken section. I stepped in to choose my bird and was bluntly told "Do you mind? This is a private conversation." Private? She had made her gynecological troubles public property, very much against my will. I laughed. "Rude bastard!" (redacted) she exclaimed. I told her that it was probably best if she found a better place to discuss her faulty punanny. The embittered "Why should I have to move?" response wasn't unexpected.

Entitlement? Yep.
    Last edited by steinr1; 02-26-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Because spelling, grammar and punctuation DO MATTER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I've only read a couple of pages and discovered that I may need to take up golf despite my having actively avoided it so far. A game with many rules of etiquette? Plenty of opportunity to be angered by their breach? Sounds ideal. Why did no-one ever tell me this? I'm OUTRAGED!!!
    A tiny bunker at St. Andrews (the "home of golf") is famously "Just big enough for an angry man and a golf club". The all-too-polite professional tours no longer have entertaining players like "Terrible" Tommy Bolt, who advised, "If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." You have the perfect temperament for the game, Robert!

OK, I thought I could avoid it for a while, but no, the black choler spills over...

I was reminded of an "encounter" in a local supermarket recently by the earlier "hands-free phone freakishness" debate (THANKS). A "lady" was loudly discussing some "woman's matters" with "the air" (the freakishness of hands-free...) at the fresh chicken section. I stepped in to choose my bird and was bluntly told "Do you mind? This is a private conversation." Private? She had made her gynecological troubles public property, very much against my will. I laughed. "Rude bastard!" (redacted) she exclaimed. I told her that it was probably best if she found a better place to discuss her faulty punanny. The embittered "Why should I have to move?" response wasn't unexpected.

Entitlement? Yep.
    I know complaining of entitlement is all the rage these days, but this sounds like just pure ignorance. If she'd said "why do i have to pay for this chicken?" then i'd have said she's got entitlement issues. I think this girl has boundary issues. It's the same as those folks at work the next desk over who insist on talking loudly about personal problems. Just be discreet and have some respect for yourself, if no one else.

That said, the cell phone thing is absolutely out of control in this country. It's like nobody understands that they should have private conversations...in private. Nobody seems to understand either that most of what they're talking about isn't THAT important. Wait until you're not driving, or you're at home - it makes for better conversation overall when you can just focus on chatting.
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

I thought I'd poke the embers of this moribund thread to see if any further spleen could be elicited (not everything here is in that category by any means; some is rather upbeat. That'll have to be dealt with...) Lord knows I've got enough of my own and my anger seems to love company.

In an effort to dissuade you, let me point out that the game was invented by the Scotts, although they feel the rest of the world is cheating because they don't usually play in three feet of snow with fifty knot winds.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter2 View Post
    I know complaining of entitlement is all the rage these days, but this sounds like just pure ignorance. If she'd said "why do i have to pay for this chicken?" then i'd have said she's got entitlement issues. I think this girl has boundary issues. It's the same as those folks at work the next desk over who insist on talking loudly about personal problems. Just be discreet and have some respect for yourself, if no one else.

That said, the cell phone thing is absolutely out of control in this country. It's like nobody understands that they should have private conversations...in private. Nobody seems to understand either that most of what they're talking about isn't THAT important. Wait until you're not driving, or you're at home - it makes for better conversation overall when you can just focus on chatting.

You're right, Mike. This woman wasn't looking for "someone to do something" - she was fully empowered in herself. Inappropriately, perhaps, but empowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    In an effort to dissuade you, let me point out that the game was invented by the Scotts, although they feel the rest of the world is cheating because they don't usually play in three feet of snow with fifty knot winds.
    I'll reassure you, Nick. My interest in golf will almost certainly (nay, definitely) remain theoretical at best.

Entitlement? Yep.
    Either thank her for her public service - for warning any functioning males with motile or at least game swimmers to remain clear of her festering dewpatch - or hand her a cucumber, give her a wink, and tell her "this should tide you over until you get that thing roto-rootered."

And by all means, you must become a fellow duffer. It's a rule.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Entitlement? Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Either thank her for her public service - for warning any functioning males with motile or at least game swimmers to remain clear of her festering dewpatch - or hand her a cucumber, give her a wink, and tell her "this should tide you over until you get that thing roto-rootered."

And by all means, you must become a fellow duffer. It's a rule.
    Apologies, but I really must quote this whole thing! It is one thing for her crass retort as you only attempted to catch your dinner, but quite anonther considering she force-fed an intimate conversation to a captive audience as well.

For a woman, and a Lady, I, well, have no words for that!

Rant incoming but it will take me a week to get it worded politely. To say I'm pissed would be an understatement. Admin, what is the word limit for a post?
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Rant incoming but it will take me a week to get it worded politely. To say I'm pissed would be an understatement. Admin, what is the word limit for a post?
    I'm giddy with anticipation! Remember, a good friend will help you move, but a REAL good friend will help you move a body. We're here to help. If there's nefarious activity afoot, count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    ...a REAL good friend will help you move a body. We're here to help. If there's nefarious activity afoot, count me in!
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
    Apologies, but I really must quote this whole thing! It is one thing for her crass retort as you only attempted to catch your dinner, but quite anonther considering she force-fed an intimate conversation to a captive audience as well.

For a woman, and a Lady, I, well, have no words for that!
    Normally I'm fascinated by other people's private, intimate conversations. I just like to have a choice.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast